Thread: Question about back surfaced SV blank progressives

OptiWizard OptiBoard Bronze Supporter pezfaerie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Confused Question about back surfaced SV blank progressives

We have been having a discussion with some of our older Opticians (40+years in Optics) and lately they are angry about the amount of distortion/abberation that the new backside digitally surfaced SV blank lenses have at the fitting cross. If they move the lens "slightly" side to side the myers jump or become blurry. They said that if the lens is made from a SV blank, that anything at and above the fitting cross from one side of the lens to the other (horizontally/periph) the myers should be clear.
    The only way I could think to explain why they are not 100% clear SV blank or not, is that the progressive design had to be put on the lens and there is still a corridor where the rx has to be manipulated to make that corridor clear for POW. Is that correct? They had pulled out a comfort2 lens to show how much "clearer" the myers were when moved. Yet when I look through and compare both the comfort and the digitally surfaced lens, the meyers on the comfot get distored at the very edges of the verification circle ( ) and on the digital lens its right outside of the circle, which tells me that the digital lens has just barely wider areas at the top.
    Any other ideas how to explain that the digital lenses are a step up and not just all marketing hype? So far the public feed back has been fantastic. But the older Opticians feel like they are over charging for a horrible lens design.
    Pez:D

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I guess it's not an option to mention that patients aren't looking through their eyeglasses through a lensometer.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    I guess it's not an option to mention that patients aren't looking through their eyeglasses through a lensometer.
    LOL. I tried to say that in a round about way as to not sound snarky. But even in saying that, it was brought to my attention that the lensometer is what has been used to measure/verify power "forever" in the industry and if they were checking a conventional lens vs the digital pals the new ones would be rejected for abberrations. Granted, its me that does the verification and I have studied up on the newer technology for progressives (not that I am 100% on every PAL topic) and I understand what's passable and not. The lenses here get doubled checked after edging and once before dispense by different people and this is how the whole topic got started.
    I just don't want the owner to feel that he is selling an inferior product because its new technology and supposed to be better. And I suck at explaining things

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by pezfaerie View Post
    We have been having a discussion with some of our older Opticians (40+years in Optics) and lately they are angry about the amount of distortion/abberation that the new backside digitally surfaced SV blank lenses have at the fitting cross. If they move the lens "slightly" side to side the myers jump or become blurry. They said that if the lens is made from a SV blank, that anything at and above the fitting cross from one side of the lens to the other (horizontally/periph) the myers should be clear.
    That's due to the PAL design; some designs put more of the unwanted astigmatism into the distance periphery, other designs have less.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Copy of 64A_01_ipseo_h180.jpg  
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    That's due to the PAL design; some designs put more of the unwanted astigmatism into the distance periphery, other designs have less.
    Thank you

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The construct of the compensated FF design with POW measurements is to clean up image displacement thru centrad; we should see power changes across the lateral surface of the distance quadrant. The design of the FF w/o POW just utilizes the manufacturers pre calculated default.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by pezfaerie View Post
    The only way I could think to explain why they are not 100% clear SV blank or not, is that the progressive design had to be put on the lens and there is still a corridor where the rx has to be manipulated to make that corridor clear for POW. Is that correct? They had pulled out a comfort2 lens to show how much "clearer" the myers were when moved. Yet when I look through and compare both the comfort and the digitally surfaced lens, the meyers on the comfot get distored at the very edges of the verification circle ( ) and on the digital lens its right outside of the circle, which tells me that the digital lens has just barely wider areas at the top.
    Any other ideas how to explain that the digital lenses are a step up and not just all marketing hype? So far the public feed back has been fantastic. But the older Opticians feel like they are over charging for a horrible lens design.
    Bite your tongue and wait for them to retire! More often than not, their is nothing you can teach them when they are no longer receptive, it's a cancer try not to catch it.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pez:

Some of the quality of lens surface issues they note are not necessarily software, or "science" planned..............it's just poor quality finishing, often hidden by layers of AR or hard coat material..........older eyes are trained to spot surface defects often deemed to bee A"acceptable " by the young egemecated uns.

The "wow factor " you refer to as public feedback can be the new rx, less scratched and upgraded to better quality raw material and frame fit.........not the lens technology.

In a "reverse engineering way" you may eventually experience a person proclaiming that they saw better through their old school glasses from 10 years ago(insert young un eyeroll here)

What the veterans are noticing, unlike the mediocritics, is the quality drop.
    Eyes wide open

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    Pez:

Some of the quality of lens surface issues they note are not necessarily software, or "science" planned..............it's just poor quality finishing, often hidden by layers of AR or hard coat material..........older eyes are trained to spot surface defects often deemed to bee A"acceptable " by the young egemecated uns.

The "wow factor " you refer to as public feedback can be the new rx, less scratched and upgraded to better quality raw material and frame fit.........not the lens technology.

In a "reverse engineering way" you may eventually experience a person proclaiming that they saw better through their old school glasses from 10 years ago(insert young un eyeroll here)

What the veterans are noticing, unlike the mediocritics, is the quality drop.
    True enough. However, this isn't a failure of free-form digital designs. It's due to poor quality control in cut-to-polish operations. While free-form digital designs use cut-to-polish manufacturing, many labs use the same equipment and process to run conventional designs as well. Here, the process creates the poor surface, not the design.

FWIW, I don't think this is what the OP is talking about.

Digital designs tend to have wider fields of view than conventional designs and back surfaced digital designs will appear to the wearer as having a wider field of view than digitally created front surface molds, because they are marginally closer to the wearer's eye.

I think you should probably follow MakeOptics' advice on this one.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When in doubt: Follow the advice of MakeOptics and Wes, you can't go wrong but may gain thinking of a new way to look at things. That is what I do.
    Craig

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have to ask because it is related to a problem we're noticing. Are these Essilor SV blanks because in the past 6-9 months 60-70% of our Shamir digital polycarbonate jobs and 20% of our stock SV poly jobs have been coming in distorted without the lenses being cut too big (I've taken some the lenses out of the frame). And this has been work from 3 different labs (Central One Optical, Three Rivers Optical, and Luzerne Optical) and I've seen similar crap rates from all three labs. And after the third or fourth time (sometimes fifth) the lab is starting to get annoyed with my rejection of otherwise good jobs. So the only conclusion I can make is that it's the blanks Essilor is putting out.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just had an issue with digital surfacing at my lab and it was a generator specification that had gotten changed; it was causing weird optics and numbers at verification.
    They got if fixed asap and did not deny or argue with me. They thanked me.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeOptics View Post
    Bite your tongue and wait for them to retire! More often than not, their is nothing you can teach them when they are no longer receptive, it's a cancer try not to catch it.
    A bit of a harsh piece of advice........and very discriminatory as well, doncha think?
    Eyes wide open

Thread Information