Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I am working on a drill-mount project and want feedback!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    That is a good day for anyone! Why Kawasaki and not Lindberg? You can get the lenses done for 1/2 the price of italee. We might need to talk about this, we build the Kawasaki but the Spirit is much easier to wrk with and you can use your lab of choice.
    Why Lindberg and not Kawasaki, perhaps the point is moot. I like the product, as I am sure that you like Lindberg. As to my lab of choice, I use DEL for most of my work, I will occasionally use Italee but I have a long standing if not distant relation with Scott. Much of it also has to do with lens designs, as I am a big Shamir fan.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All lab work for Kawasaki does not have to go to Italee? I thought they only sold complete pairs.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Very exciting! cannot wait to what form this takes! I love selling drillmounts. Certainly not because it makes management cranky when I customize absolutely everything about it.........<~~ insert evil laughter here

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticneutral View Post
    Very exciting! cannot wait to what form this takes! I love selling drillmounts. Certainly not because it makes management cranky when I customize absolutely everything about it.........<~~ insert evil laughter here
    My store lives for custom drill mounts; a bridge from Lindberg in a Fred Frame with a custom shape that the client wears in all pairs. That is what builds loyalty and a business. Management may have to give you a raise and not get cranky once the app is released.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticneutral View Post

I miss having them, to be honest. My best example of customization was a little girl, about 4, whose parents couldn't afford anything, but her grandparents wanted a quality frame for the child. we decided that a silhouette customized down for zero decentration and and a rounder lens was the best option for what they wanted for the girl. Her rx was a +4.00, not impossible to make cute in a typical kids frame, but the grandparents wanted the lenses as thin as possible. They were, of course, super cute and looked great. My favorite part about a drill frame is when they break a piece, you can just order that one part, instead of a whole new frame.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just can't wrap my head around the fact that people don't carry rimless! It just seems so foolish to me.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Project Auto Lens App update; we are ready to change the optical industry!

Dear Optiboard,

I would like to thank you for allowing me to be part of this forum and learn from others in the industry. In 2016, a new product will be launched that was created because of the relationships formed on Optiboard; sitting here pondering what is in-store for the new year made me realize the impact being able to speak with my contemporaries in this manner, it has brought me friends and colleagues.

I am creating a new company to offer services never before done in our industry all with people I met on Optiboard, with one partner I have never even met in person. We where speaking the other day and I asked him if we had actually ever met in person and we have not but I guess Skype counts now.

The Drill Mount App has morphed into an Auto Lens System to be launched in a beta form by Expo East in April; this App will allow everyone to have any pair of glasses made to anyones exact specifications while also ensuring the client gets the best product possible for what they want and desire.
    This project will be the only comprehensive program that ensures the client always gets the best lenses for their RX, frame and usage based on actual RX.

The people who are involved behind the scenes already know what we have planned and we are not ready to share all of it yet but lets say:
    "We are ready to change the optical industry one pair at a time"

There is every facet of the industry involved in this project: frame distributors, frame manufactures, finishing labs, surfacing labs, retail stores and chains, equipment manufactures, software companies, lens designers, lens material supplier and industry lecturers/leaders.

All of this would not have happened without Optiboard! So we will take a sponsorship when we are ready to launch!

Thanks
    Craig
    www.autolensapp.com (not ready yet)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    1- What percentage of your work is drill-mounts?
    2- What brands you carry?
    3-What you like about drill mounts?
    4-Why you don't sell more drill mounts?
    5-What would help you sell more drill mounts?

Thanks for the time and please be as concise as possible so I can compile the information. I want to find out why we don't all do drill mounts and what we need to change that.

Craig
    1. probably less than 5%. We sell maybe 6-10 per week
    2. Silhouette, almost exclusively. We don't like to mess around with junk
    3. Only the fact that they are light weight. I don't not specifically "like" drill mounts. They often accentuate high prescriptions, anisometropia, etc.
    4. Not everyone wants them. Many people are attracted to other styles. Some patients are scared off by the price.
    5. Patients with more money, patients with lower prescriptions (we turn several patients per week away from drill mounts for prescriptions reasons.)

Let me ask if I may...Why do you like drill mounts so much?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am asked everyday day if I can 'examine' people's eyes. I tell hem no. I am not trained nor certified to do so.

There are master opticians, like me, who eat Rxs up to 7 diopters in rimless everyday day. If we're feeling feisty, I'll take on a 10 or a 12, both plus and minus.

Its takes skill and training, although it is not subject to any certification. I'll send out the exams.

Send us ー the ones trained to do rimless as high craft ー or hire us to help you.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Barry, the views I've expressed comes from many years of work and consultation with my partner optician. We take on tough jobs too. .. but sometimes. .. its better to go in another direction.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Drills are going to make a comeback in your office.

Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    1. probably less than 5%. We sell maybe 6-10 per week
    2. Silhouette, almost exclusively. We don't like to mess around with junk
    3. Only the fact that they are light weight. I don't not specifically "like" drill mounts. They often accentuate high prescriptions, anisometropia, etc.
    4. Not everyone wants them. Many people are attracted to other styles. Some patients are scared off by the price.
    5. Patients with more money, patients with lower prescriptions (we turn several patients per week away from drill mounts for prescriptions reasons.)

Let me ask if I may...Why do you like drill mounts so much?
    1-They are the most customizable frames most offices can offer.
    2-They ensure people come back for lenses only.
    3-They are the most profitable item we offer.
    4-Clients love them and so do we.
    5-85% of the RX's are from +3 to -3; so how many are you turning away?

Either time for a new optician and/or time to use our system for your work in the future. Barry, Does know what we are doing and he will be involved in the project, so his work will only get easier to do drills.

Craig
    www.autolensapp.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Are you saying the main reason to offer drill mounts is for your profits?

Yes, some patients want them. .. some absolutely don't. .. and some absolutely shouldn't. Just like lasik. We don't try to make all patients fit the same mold.

There is nothing wrong with my optician, thank you. In fact, he is not mine, he is his own man.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Yes, some patients want them. .. some absolutely don't. .. and some absolutely shouldn't. Just like lasik. We don't try to make all patients fit the same mold.

There is nothing wrong with my optician, thank you. In fact, he is not mine, he is his own man.
    The main reason we sell 70% drills is because of the selection we offer and the fact that we all wear them and build them in-house! After 17 years we would not be doing it if it where not what the patient wants; not many come back after 2 years and say "I want the heavy ones now"

We serve our clients and give them the choice; they choose frameless because of what we offer and we make the same amount of money on all work. The drill mounts build loyalty and show clients we can do the work- offices like yourself tell them can't be done- that serves our client.

We do not take insurance so maybe that is part of your reluctance to allow clients to get what they want and not what you want them to have.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The message conveyed today should always be about developing an eyewear wardrobe. In this context, having a few rimless pairs are essential. If you continue to focus on zero-sum selling, then one pair is always and forever going to be your goal. And when that one pair is bought elsewhere enough...you're done.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Did I say I encourage my patients to get only one pair?

Did I say I don't encourage drill mounts?

I don't discriminate against patients that have insurance.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Did I say I encourage my patients to get only one pair?

Did I say I don't encourage drill mounts?

I don't discriminate against patients that have insurance.
    Sorry Doc. My comments were meant as overall comments, not specifically directed at you. So many here think one pair sales.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    Nah, she just doesn't like the way they look. I have always been of the opinion always carry styles that pts want. I do not run the zoo, so...
    Our owners made us take down half of our silhouettes (They are in a drawer) and put up big chunky zyls in their spots...the big chunky zyls don't sell, but the silhouettes still do. They said the drill mounts were not the look they were going for ... but they sell despite half the models being shoved in a drawer.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Dear Optiboard,

I would like to thank you for allowing me to be part of this forum and learn from others in the industry. In 2016, a new product will be launched that was created because of the relationships formed on Optiboard; sitting here pondering what is in-store for the new year made me realize the impact being able to speak with my contemporaries in this manner, it has brought me friends and colleagues.

I am creating a new company to offer services never before done in our industry all with people I met on Optiboard, with one partner I have never even met in person. We where speaking the other day and I asked him if we had actually ever met in person and we have not but I guess Skype counts now.

The Drill Mount App has morphed into an Auto Lens System to be launched in a beta form by Expo East in April; this App will allow everyone to have any pair of glasses made to anyones exact specifications while also ensuring the client gets the best product possible for what they want and desire.
    This project will be the only comprehensive program that ensures the client always gets the best lenses for their RX, frame and usage based on actual RX.

The people who are involved behind the scenes already know what we have planned and we are not ready to share all of it yet but lets say:
    "We are ready to change the optical industry one pair at a time"

There is every facet of the industry involved in this project: frame distributors, frame manufactures, finishing labs, surfacing labs, retail stores and chains, equipment manufactures, software companies, lens designers, lens material supplier and industry lecturers/leaders.

All of this would not have happened without Optiboard! So we will take a sponsorship when we are ready to launch!

Thanks
    Craig
    www.autolensapp.com (not ready yet)

Interesting, So who on here is working for your new company?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Plausible View Post
    Interesting, So who on here is working for your new company?
    You would need to ask them at this point. I have made and am using 5 contacts from here so far. Will be ready to announce soon.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    You would need to ask them at this point. I have made and am using 5 contacts from here so far. Will be ready to announce soon.
    Ok just wondering.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hows it coming along? My manager just told me that they are no longer allowing me to change the shape or size of lenses in drillmounts, furthermore they are no longer going to order drillmounts outside of <~~ insert brand name here <~~ because I make things so "difficult" for everyone else in the office and the lab. Rock and roll

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We will be ready to roll by Expo East in April.
    Time to find a new job?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave This link is 1% of what we going to offer! Welcome to the future as we see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H44p...ature=youtu.be

The www.AutoLensApp.com is going to be a new platform that offers value and efficiency to any who want to participate. The optical industry is about to move into the modern era of platform optimization and customization for the sole purpose of building better glasses one pair at a time!

Craig and Harry C.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H44p...ature=youtu.be

The www.AutoLensApp.com is going to be a new platform that offers value and efficiency to any who want to participate. The optical industry is about to move into the modern era of platform optimization and customization for the sole purpose of building better glasses one pair at a time!

Craig and Harry C.

I like the lens shape database

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is the AutoLensApp only for rimless glasses?
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

Thread Information