Thread: Unable to make identical lenses? Help...

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Unable to make identical lenses? Help...

I've had a pair of glasses for the last year that was plain excellent - I could wear it 24/7. This year, I have decided to order an identical pair - same prescription, same paperwork (like the last order), same frame, even the colour of the frame... A total clone. BUT, I cannot wear the new pair. My eyes get strained after a while. I've been back three times and each time they keep adjusting my new frame which seems pointless to me - I can "feel" the frame is not the problem as it is identical to the old one and it feels OK. They keep telling me the lenses are identical because that is what their paperwork says (hmmm...) I've suggested a possible error or a mixup but of course they claim that that would not happen... really? So I've removed the lenses from both glasses (old and new) and put them next to each other. Clearly the curvature is different on the new pair. I see OK in them, so I know the prescription is fine, but the strain on my eyes is too much (I've tried for days). So I basically have a proof that the lenses were not cut out exactly the same. What should I tell the store? Any technical wording I should use? Is there a way to make an exact, identical pair of lenses to my old one? Can an experienced technician understand this and actually do it, or is it basically a hit and miss (wouldn't that be scary)? My eyes are clearly very sensitive, but I've been extremely happy with my previous pair I got from them a year ago (and I never had to adjust to it for days, and never got any strain from day 1).

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Happens to every Optician eventually. No two progressives are exactly alike even when everything "exactly" matches.

Sometimes it comes down to a lens blank mold being older which is virtually impossible to verify. Sometimes the pressure when blocked for edging is too high. Like I said no easy answer.

Ask them to redo the lenses with a little less stress at insertion. It may take a few days but an over tight lens can warp and distort. Have them swap the new lenses into the old frame.

We also have many cases that I call "new pair of shoes syndrome" where nothing fits like an old pair of shoes.

Not saying this is you; But--- sometimes the problem is between the ears of the wearer as they think there's an issue so nothing we do fixes it.

I've had complaints like yours where I surreptitiously put the old lenses in the new frame and the patient swears there's a problem but these are the lenses that a few seconds ago were fine. Go figure!!!

PS- Consumers shouldn't post so expect this thread to be closed.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Please read the Posting Guidelines!

This forum is for Eyecare Professionals. Consumers are not allowed to post on the Board, although they can read posts and search topics.

Thread Information