Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The truth about Camber

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    I hope they don't have to use up all of their design tools compensating for the more complex aspheric surface though.
    Now that's funny!

I'll be putting the Camber through my own blind vetting process with my persnickety engineer patient base with next year's "Exploratory Budget".

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
    Yes. It is grossly apparent that the person writing the article has never been involved in 3D modeling or calculations. There is no such thing as "using up" design tools.

I'll write more later.
    depends on what you define as a "design tool"

if we are talking about zernike coefficients to optimize a conic, after about the 10th term, things get a little messy, especially from a manufacturing/metrology stand point.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    "Using up the design tools", aspherics and deformed conicoids have their limits; if you are using these back side methods to cleanup the front surface created issues then the back surface becomes far to complex to compensate for additional errors. By moving the progression to the front and making it continuous across the front surface, the design can focus on the actual patient parameters on the back. Also the marginal astigmatism created by a PAL design isn't all about the diopter value, sometimes it is more dis-jarring to look through a lens that has less marginal astigmatism but is oriented obliquely than a design that has more marginal astigmatism but is oriented vertically, horizontally, or aligned with the patient prescription. This true distortion can cause floors to seem warped or shapes to look funny.

The Camber and the old Omnifocal have a lot of similarities, the Omnifocal went away because of the cost/complexity in production, that no longer exists so the Camber lens is a vintage design that may have been greater than the Varilux design which replaced it in the 60's, every design after looked more like the Varilux design, now we are actually seeing an older yet possibly better lens design reemerging. Time will tell if the design is better, just the fact that many are talking about it means that the lens is obviously a contender in the marketplace.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

From the article...

Quote Originally Posted by Sphinxsmith View Post
    This was a nice breakdown on the tech.
    http://www.2020mag.com/ce/TTViewTest...essonId=111613

cs
    DISCUSSION: WEARER TEST

IOT, in association with the University of Madrid, designed and conducted a double-blind wearer trial comparing a Camber finished lens with one processed from a single vision blank. Both used the same contemporary IOT back-surface progressive design technology. Both prescriptions were made from the same material, same central base curve, in the same frame, and worn for one week each. The only difference between the two pairs of eyewear was the lens blanks they were processed from: Camber versus single vision. Wearers and testers were unaware of which lens was which. After trying them both, wearers were then asked to compare lenses.
    When asked, "Which lens do you prefer the most?" wearers preferred Camber 2 to 1. Regarding ease of adaptation, 8 of 10 reported that adaptation to Camber seemed easier. Nine of 10 reported better near vision. Considering all factors, 55 percent (a majority) found Camber better, 39 percent found it to be equal.
    Wearer trials like this are not very common today because it is very tough to show significant differences in wearing experiences. Test subjects find it difficult to differentiate and express their preferences. Additionally, the trials are very expensive and time-consuming to perform. Therefore, these reported results are significant.
    I'd like to see the powers of the 6% who did not feel the lens was better or as good.

Did they randomly vary or were they specific to higher plus/minus or cylinder powers?

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I'd like to see the powers of the 6% who did not feel the lens was better or as good.
    People are strange.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bizarro.jpg  
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    It's vertically oriented, something that Essilor showed to be less upsetting to the wearer than an oblique orientation.
    I always saw their claims about that as disinformation to try and combat Zeiss' horizontal symmetry patent from the 80s.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeOptics View Post
    "Using up the design tools", aspherics and deformed conicoids have their limits; if you are using these back side methods to cleanup the front surface created issues then the back surface becomes far to complex to compensate for additional errors. By moving the progression to the front and making it continuous across the front surface, the design can focus on the actual patient parameters on the back.
    Far to complex? I'm wondering if you can restate this in a way I can understand. The design isn't being customized with a tool...these are 3d math operations and tooling instructions that of course have their limits, but those limits exist regardless of base curve.

Has the progression been moved to the front with camber? I argue yes. Others seem to be trying to argue no, while saying yes in their explanations.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

Did they randomly vary or were they specific to higher plus/minus or cylinder powers?
    My interpretation of the wearer test was that they were comparing IOT vs IOT. The limitations are in their math, and I would be curious to see how those same 6% feel about Hoya vs Seiko vs Shamir vs Zeiss designs.

Additionally, I wonder how long the patients wore each product.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I always saw their claims about that as disinformation to try and combat Zeiss' horizontal symmetry patent from the 80s.
    Horizontal symmetry is related to how the unwanted astigmatism is distributed from the nasal to the temporal portions of the lens, with a symmetric distribution providing the best binocular balance.

Essilor's contribution was to show that the orientation of the initial bands of astigmatism on either side of the umbillic played a factor in wearer comfort, with a vertical orientation being the most comfortable.

http://www.icarelabs.com/wp-content/...LVAR200836.pdf
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Far to complex? I'm wondering if you can restate this in a way I can understand. The design isn't being customized with a tool...these are 3d math operations and tooling instructions that of course have their limits, but those limits exist regardless of base curve.
    If you were to take a cone and cut it in half with the cut being parallel to the base you would have a circle, cut it at an angle to the base you have an ellipse. These, along with the parabola and hyperbola, are conic sections. They are plane curves. If you were to rotate these curves around the axes of symmetry you create the conicoids.

When you use an aspheric lens you are using a form of conicoid knows as an ellipsoid(flatter than a circle) and there are different types of ellipsoids.
    We use these types of curves to reduce aberrations associated with off-axis viewing(i.e. looking into the add of a progressive).

There is a limit to what these surfaces can do.

Has the progression been moved to the front with camber? I argue yes. Others seem to be trying to argue no, while saying yes in their explanations.
    A progressive decreases the radii of curvature as the rotates downward, so in that sense it is a progressive. The progressive optics, Pow, etc still have to be ground on the back surface. I would say it is not a front surface progressive in the traditional sense.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

If we assume that the front and rear surfaces can be made perfectly(which they can't), then splitting the "3d math operations" between the front and rear surfaces, reduces the amount of corrections you need.
    Normally in the form of Zernike polynomials, or some other type of higher order polynomial and/or exponential.

This is the primary argument that was/is used against digitally generated back side PAL's versus traditionally ground PAL's.
    Because they both have a surface that is spherical, they will still display aberrations caused by the spherical surface.
    If you can mold a front PAL surface and conventionally grind the rear spherical surface to the same accuracy and design as a digitally generated back side PAL,
    then from a design/metrology standpoint, they are equal in terms of performance/amount of aberration.

The camber has a base curve variation on the front(horizontally spherical across the entire front surface), not a focusing power variation like molded PAL's(not spherical across any axis below the PRP).

If you had a SF molded PAL, such as a GT2 or a physio. You could use it as is, and it would perform like a plano distance, with an add equal to the molded add, and still have a usable corridor.

A SF Camber blank will not focus light, the whole lens will be blurry, and it does not have a corridor.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    In short, the variation of front curve full add traditional progressive lens goes like this:

Distance > Convex
    L Soft Focus Area, or Junk:
    >Steeper Convex
    >Very Steep Concave
    >Moderate Convex
    Reading > Steep Convex
    R Soft Focus Area
    >Moderate Convex
    >Very Steep Concave
    >Steeper Convex

Back to Distance > Convex

Note: Mix of vary steep concave and convex curves.

Compare that to the Camber:

Distance > Convex
    Soft focus or Junk > Steeper Convex
    Reading > Steep Convex
    Soft focus or Junk > Steeper Convex
    Back to Distance > Convex

note: All Convex

A traditional design goes back and forth, effectively sending any focal point over a very wide area in multiple directions, which by definition is distortion.

The Camber by contrast will keep that focal point in a smaller range, because the front lacks the horrible mix of Concave and Convex Curves present on traditional lenses. These curves exist in theory on the Camber, but well off the surface of the lens and way from a patient field of view. Its simply a magnification of the tiny entry zone of a front add progressive, say a 5 mm circle, and using and expanding that for the entire front of the lens.

I had the exact same idea about 12 years ago, and should have patented it then.

Does anyone remember when progressive lenses used to be sold on the merits of their design? "This lens will give you wider intermediate," "That lens provides you with the most add power," "The other lens wont work with a seg over 17," etc.

Does anyone remember when a new lens hit the market, it would be availble in one or two lens materials only? Other materials and photochromics and polarized versions would come out "eventually."

The promise of freeform lenses was that we would have better correction for unwanted astigmatism and all materials available on all lens designs immediately. Period. That was the promise.

The more complex the design gets on the front surface OF A FRONT SIDE MOLDED PRODUCT, the more limitations you have in product availability and advancement. Also, the SIGNIFICANTLY higher overhead costs to labs who must stock the various complex options available.

Can someone explain to me why camber lenses are being presented as a huge step FORWARD? I fail to see based on any information presented that camber is any improvement over, say, a Hoya lens, or the physio 360. No one lens design works best for everyone, and yet the camber lens seems to present a one size fits all lens via its elephant trunk molded lens. At least the Individual 2 adjusts corridor lengths based on many perameters, and Autograph offers multiple fixed corridor lengths.

So said another way, I guess I'm asking if anyone can explain how camber isn't just a front molded progressive with backside optimization.

Thread Information