Thread: When do you sell aspheric/high index lenses???

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

When do you sell aspheric/high index lenses???

Been trying to explain my reasoning behind when I start to discuss aspheric/high index/poly lenses with patients to a co worker. I'd like for you folks, who I highly respect, to throw in your 2 cents as to when, why and how you justify and explain these lenses to patients. Thanks in advance for the wealth of knowledge.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The better question to answer is: Why do you sell aspheric/high index lenses?

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ... or when wouldn't you sell aspheric or high index lenses. 99.9999% of the lenses I sell are aspheric or atoric. Material choices are determined by frame, Rx, age or eye health, activity, and personal measurements.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If a pt's Rx is above +/- 2.50 I'll start looking at poly instead of plastic, due to thickness. If the Rx is above ~5D I'll suggest HI.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post
    ... or when wouldn't you sell aspheric or high index lenses. 99.9999% of the lenses I sell are aspheric or atoric. Material choices are determined by frame, Rx, age or eye health, activity, and personal measurements.
    Do you mean to tell me that you will put a pair of aspheric +1.25 DS lenses in my 1/2 eyes. Really! What happens when I need a pair of plano distance +1.25 Add FT-28's? C'mon now, 99.9999%. Perhaps we are exaggerating a bit.

I'm sure that like many retail merchants you do value selling the high price alternatives and can , in your own mind, justify your motives but I fear that your efforts may not always be in the best interest of the customer.

Yes, there are times when aspheric lenses are the best choice, but, not nearly in the percentage that you cite.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Do you mean to tell me that you will put a pair of aspheric +1.25 DS lenses in my 1/2 eyes. Really! What happens when I need a pair of plano distance +1.25 Add FT-28's? C'mon now, 99.9999%. Perhaps we are exaggerating a bit.

I'm sure that like many retail merchants you do value selling the high price alternatives and can , in your own mind, justify your motives but I fear that your efforts may not always be in the best interest of the customer.

Yes, there are times when aspheric lenses are the best choice, but, not nearly in the percentage that you cite.
    You don't know me from, Adam. I don't lie about about such things, I started going aspheric years ago when I ran the Optical at SCCC. The aspheric design, in my opinion, offers my patients better vision and based on the results, they agree. If you want FT 28's from me your going to receive it with a digital back surface, if you want a CR-39 SV, you'll receive a FFSV from us, and the same goes for glass. Which do you prefer Dick, analog or HD television.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I order aspheric in plus for a flatter base curve for reading glasses using finished lenses.

B

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Depends on the pt. ... -3 to +2 is where I really entertain them ... and don't forget the OC

cs

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post

As to your assessment of these lenses being a high price alternative, I assure you, that they are not nor do they need to be at higher price than conventionally surfaced product. I have no problem dispensing compensated FF designs but not everyone requires them or can afford them. If you are not prepared to dispense aspheric/atoric to the population at large, don't, as it requires a more thoughtful and technical approach in their dispensing. As to those things that motivate me, call it vanity or a competitive nature, but at the end of the day, if your going to be a bear I'd rather be a Grizzly.

Thread Information