Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BEST Resources for WASHINGTON STATE BOARD EXAM?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

BEST Resources for WASHINGTON STATE BOARD EXAM?

I've been on this forum for a little over two years now, and the resources that I've been given have been EXTREMELY helpful. I am planning on taking my state board exam this next year. First, does anyone know what times of the year these are offered? I know that there is one in March, is the other in August? Also.... what are the BEST materials that I should be using to study for this? I will take any tips, advice, resources ,etc. I do not feel like I have enough on my hands. Thank you ahead of time!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you an apprentice? If so, what does the individual who has supposed to be teaching you suggested?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    Are you an apprentice? If so, what does the individual who has supposed to be teaching you suggested?
    Answers like this just suck, if you don't know move on. If you do know and just don't want to help, again move on. For the life of me I don't know why some posters on this forum are so rude at times.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    If they were satisfied with the answers they were getting, they wouldn't be asking. Can't we just be a resource without interrogating the questioner?
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Plausible View Post
    Answers like this just suck, if you don't know move on. If you do know and just don't want to help, again move on. For the life of me I don't know why some posters on this forum are so rude at times.
    The answer is fair. Mr McDonald's experience and knowledge qualify him more then most. In Washington, if not attending the Optician program you have to apprentice under a licensed individual; it is their duty to help to prepare you. It is also the, Licensed Apprenticing Optician's, responsibility to make sure that their hours are signed off and that they are maintaining the proper coarse. The OAW and WA State Dept of Health are the poster's best resources.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post
    The answer is fair. Mr McDonald's experience and knowledge qualify him more then most. In Washington, if not attending the Optician program you have to apprentice under a licensed individual; it is their duty to help to prepare you. It is also the, Licensed Apprenticing Optician's, responsibility to make sure that their hours are signed off and that they are maintaining the proper coarse. The OAW and WA State Dept of Health are the poster's best resources.
    First of all, you assume that the licensed guru knows what is going on and is, in fact, actively involved in the teaching process. Secondly, why waste time with unanswered phone calls and waiting for information to be mailed from State Associations and State Regulators (I use the term loosely) when you can simply post a question on OptiBoard over your morning doobie and have a whole bunch of answers and opinions by lunchtime from which you can chose what you want to hear.

OptiBoard will also give you a whole bunch of different answers, opinions and an amusing note of sarcasm as the thread morphs into a discussion of giving customers their freaking PD's or the best and latest lens technologies for hermaphrodites.

And, while we are at it, nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm.
    Last edited by rbaker; 12-08-2015 at 11:31 AM.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    It's not an answer at all it's 'Socratic questioning'. And it's not "fair" I know of Mr McDonalds experience and his knowledge absolutely qualifies him to answer the BEST materials for the original poster. That is the most disappointing part of the initial reply.
    Last edited by Plausible; 12-08-2015 at 12:16 PM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

Before making posts as the one above, I would make a small research on the web. I did it and here is the link:

Warren G. McDonald, Ph.D.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/dr-warre...donald-129aa35

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Before making posts as the one above, I would make a small research on the web. I did it and here is the link:

Warren G. McDonald, Ph.D.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/dr-warre...donald-129aa35

Understood he has the ability to answer the question, but does not. Instead choosing to reply with an arrogant question.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Understood he has the ability to answer the question, but does not. Instead choosing to reply with an arrogant question.
    The question was not intended to be arrogant at all, but take it as you wish. My goal was to help them find any material beyond what they already had. If they already have some material it is a waste of their time and energy receiving the same recommendation. Is it not "plausible" that you make some recommendations to help.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    The question was not intended to be arrogant at all, but take it as you wish. My goal was to help them find any material beyond what they already had. If they already have some material it is a waste of their time and energy receiving the same recommendation. Is it not "plausible" that you make some recommendations to help.
    What you gave is not real help; you asked a question to a question "what does the individual who has supposed to be teaching you suggested?" how is that help in finding the best material? Basically says go elsewhere and
    if I knew what the BEST material was that could help the original poster I would certainly post it up.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is no best material. I want to know what they have now. There are 10,000 things to offer. Now stop wasting my time, and let the poster answer the question so we can get them some help. You obviously have little to offer except an attitude. If we would do some actual teaching in these worthless, so-called "apprenticeships" questions like this would be non-existent.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    10,000 things to offer, wasting your time, get them some help, little to offer...... your a bully Mc Donald plain and simple.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's not an answer at all it's 'Socratic questioning'. And it's not "fair" I know of Mr McDonalds experience and his knowledge absolutely qualifies him to answer the BEST materials for the original poster. That is the most disappointing part of the initial reply.

First and foremost, the poster has to be licensed in the State of WA as an, Apprenticing Optician, there is a packet that contains all the information as to what is required by the individual prior to sitting before the Boards, this information is not hidden from the applicants. You must also work under a License, usually an LDO but an OD or an OMD will work. The apprentice falls under the guidance of the License they are under. Logic dictates that the governing license would be the best place to start. The LAO(licensed apprenticing optician) is presenting us with some basic questions, with the intention of sitting before the Boards next year, it raises some questions. As to study guides that would be better suited, that would depend on the individuals areas of weakness and their current reading material. Washington's State Board is comprehensive. The truth of the matter is that the poster needs to provide more specific information for a better answer.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is no best material. I want to know what they have now. There are 10,000 things to offer. Now stop wasting my time, and let the poster answer the question so we can get them some help. You obviously have little to offer except an attitude. If we would do some actual teaching in these worthless, so-called "apprenticeships" questions like this would be non-existent.
    So, I'm basically just going to ignore everything that people are arguing about, I'm just looking for help. I'm an apprentice, I've been working at Costco Optical for almost three years now, I'm ABO certified. Now, what I took before taking the ABO was Bernie Stewart's optical course in Seattle, and he gave us all a TON of materials. Now, given, this course was mainly for the State Boards so I didn't understand a lot of it at the time. Most of the people that I am working with or under tell me that I should be using his material mainly. What I found, however, is that I have to use as many resources as I can, because I have to UNDERSTAND everything that I possibly can. I was on here before, and one of the members on here suggested a book to me called "PASS THE ABO EXAM" and it really helped. So, really, all I'm wondering is what are other resources that I could be using/could purchase, etc.?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    First and foremost, the poster has to be licensed in the State of WA as an, Apprenticing Optician, there is a packet that contains all the information as to what is required by the individual prior to sitting before the Boards, this information is not hidden from the applicants. You must also work under a License, usually an LDO but an OD or an OMD will work. The apprentice falls under the guidance of the License they are under. Logic dictates that the governing license would be the best place to start. The LAO(licensed apprenticing optician) is presenting us with some basic questions, with the intention of sitting before the Boards next year, it raises some questions. As to study guides that would be better suited, that would depend on the individuals areas of weakness and their current reading material. Washington's State Board is comprehensive. The truth of the matter is that the poster needs to provide more specific information for a better answer.
    Yes, you would think it is that simple wouldn't you? You would think that being an apprentice under a licensed optician, I would have all of this, wouldn't I? I work for Costco. Yes, it is possible to take the boards and to pass, but most of the research has to be done on my own time. My job is literally almost like working fast food, we get people in, we get people out, and the majority of the job is focused on meeting numbers, not on learning most of the tools that we don't use, handling contacts and fitting which we don't do, and... well, to be honest, selling people more than one pair of eyeglasses. So, as far as your "questions" go, I am literally just asking for help, and/or advice. My current reading material is about three binders with cds and a bunch of questions in them. I'm asking is there a specific book that I can get, or if there is such a packet, where do I find it? Not saying that I'm not smart enough to find it, since it isn't "hidden from the applicants", I will obviously look for it but I don't think there's anything wrong in me asking questions, that's how I learn. I am in the beginning stages of studying, and I am trying to do as much research as I can so that I am the best equipped for this. Thanks.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

null.
    Last edited by MDOFITT; 08-12-2016 at 11:12 PM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Full disclosure: I teach in the School of Opticianry at Seattle Central College.

Below is a link to the application for the LDO exam. Starting on page 7 or so is an outline of exactly what's on the test. Further down are some suggested books. ABO materials are a good start.
    Being an apprentice at Costco, I'm guessing you don't have much to do with contact lenses. Have you taken the NCLE? It would be good practice for the boards. I would also recommend looking at Youtube for slit-lamp illuminations and keratometry.
    Apprentices typically have the most difficulty with the contact lens portion of the exam.

If you do call the DOH division that administers the LDO exam you'll usually get someone on the phone pretty quickly. They're actually very helpful. They typically administer the exam in March and August.

I wish you the best of luck.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There are a few of us here in WA ... I'm sure the others will post with some helpfull info.
    To the original poster, contact Bernie Stewart at his email: stewartoptical@yahoo.com He is thee go to for exam prep' for WA state boards. The oaw.org will have some exam prep materials also. Of course, make sure to have your copy of System for Ophthalmic Dispensing at your side.
    Feel free to PM me if you're not able to find what you're looking for.

cs

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MDOFITT View Post
    So, I'm basically just going to ignore everything that people are arguing about, I'm just looking for help. I'm an apprentice, I've been working at Costco Optical for almost three years now, I'm ABO certified. Now, what I took before taking the ABO was Bernie Stewart's optical course in Seattle, and he gave us all a TON of materials. Now, given, this course was mainly for the State Boards so I didn't understand a lot of it at the time. Most of the people that I am working with or under tell me that I should be using his material mainly. What I found, however, is that I have to use as many resources as I can, because I have to UNDERSTAND everything that I possibly can. I was on here before, and one of the members on here suggested a book to me called "PASS THE ABO EXAM" and it really helped. So, really, all I'm wondering is what are other resources that I could be using/could purchase, etc.?
    First of all, are you a registered apprentice? How are you regarding your hours, there is also an AIDS educational coarse that used to be mandatory, and are you working under someone's license who has been checking off your hours under the apprenticeship guidelines. How are your contact lens skills? Stewart's classes are still relevant, especially with regards to contacts. You will require hands on experience with all the lab equipment including the slit-lamp. A and P knowledge is a requirement. Bernie used to offer preparatory classes for the State Board, if he still does you may want to invest in them.
    As to reading material, I would go to the SCCC bookstore and purchase their required material for their opticianry students. You should be able to garner this information on line, or just ask your co workers if you can borrow or buy their books. IMHO, you should have these books as a permanent part of your collection:
    Systems of Ophthalmic Dispensing
    Fitting Guide for Rigid and Soft Contact Lenses
    Ophthalmic Dictionary
    As to the conversations taking place between the members of OptiBoard there are a lot of opinions and what you require is sound information regarding the laws and guidelines for Washington State and not someone's opinion. I would also suggest that you enlist the aid of an LDO at your workplace, hopefully that would be the LDO whose license you are working under as a registered apprentice, and have them critique your current skill set and area of weakness.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    First of all, are you a registered apprentice? How are you regarding your hours, there is also an AIDS educational coarse that used to be mandatory, and are you working under someone's license who has been checking off your hours under the apprenticeship guidelines. How are your contact lens skills? Stewart's classes are still relevant, especially with regards to contacts. You will require hands on experience with all the lab equipment including the slit-lamp. A and P knowledge is a requirement. Bernie used to offer preparatory classes for the State Board, if he still does you may want to invest in them.
    As to reading material, I would go to the SCCC bookstore and purchase their required material for their opticianry students. You should be able to garner this information on line, or just ask your co workers if you can borrow or buy their books. IMHO, you should have these books as a permanent part of your collection:
    Systems of Ophthalmic Dispensing
    Fitting Guide for Rigid and Soft Contact Lenses
    Ophthalmic Dictionary
    As to the conversations taking place between the members of OptiBoard there are a lot of opinions and what you require is sound information regarding the laws and guidelines for Washington State and not someone's opinion. I would also suggest that you enlist the aid of an LDO at your workplace, hopefully that would be the LDO whose license you are working under as a registered apprentice, and have them critique your current skill set and area of weakness.
    Excellent. Very helpful, thank you. Yes, I am a registered apprentice. I have a log of my hours (I am almost at 5,000). Contact lens skill are so/so, I feel like I have a basic knowledge in that area, but not as much as I would like or need to have. I will definitely look into the resources you suggested, as well as getting help/critiques from those that I am under. Thank you so much.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you haven't already bought it, the System for Ophthalmic Dispensing 3rd edition is a great book to have on hand. Not much for the medical side of things but I've found it very helpful in my studying. Also, some of the books for Ophthalmic Assistant's are helpful too! Good luck!! P.S. try www.laramyk.com, there is an NCLE study guide and and ABO as well that might come in helpful.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There are a number of folks here who have suggested a plethora of textbooks, etc. and all are very good to have. You can also go to the OAA's website where you will find my colleague, Dr. Roy Ferguson's exam prep guide. It is a valuable resource you would find invaluable. Access it here: www.oaa.org. Go to the professional development link to find the text. It is designed for ABO prep but will work well for your licensing board exam. It has a series of test questions to help prepare you.

You can also go the NAO's site (www.nao.org). There is a lot of material there that can be beneficial as well.

Finally, go to the Contact Lens Society of America (www.clsa.info/). There is a rather inexpensive test prep guide which will be helpful depending on your basic knowledge. I suggest the Contact Lens Manual Volume I for your of you are not well versed.

Final advice......go to Mr. Stewart's CL review, and I am sure that SCCC offers a board review as well. Take the time to do both. They will provide helpful.

I wish you much success in your efforts to obtain state licensure. It is a shame Costco and most others do not require folks who sign up to sponsor apprentices everywhere. My research indicates that most apprentices struggle to pass basic level exams, and you are being proactive here. If you work you will be successful.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    MDOFITT, I'm an optician in the state of Washington that recently sat for the state board exam this past August. As you probably know, the exam is broken up into three components: basic principles, contact lenses and the practical portion.

To be honest, the basic principles component seemed much easier than anticipated - having passed the ABO two years prior, I noticed a lot of the content was similar in scope. As long as you know the ABO basics you should pass this section fairly easily.

The contact lens portion seems to be the most difficult portion (I passed by the skin of my teeth) for most opticians mainly due to the seemingly archaic nature of most of the questions. In real-life practice, RGP use is seldom seen, especially in big-box retail settings, but the contact lens portion is nearly exclusively about RGP wearing. NCLE sample questions (https://quizlet.com/23148607/ncle-te...s-flash-cards/) before the testing date saved my bacon, proverbially speaking. If you're armed with Bernie's information, you shouldn't have too much trouble with this portion

The practical portion was the biggest unknown for me, but it's not nearly as daunting as I expected it to be. The practical portion is administered in two different rooms: a surfacing lab and an exam room.

The surfacing lab has you:
    *Neutralize three pairs of specs (rx, prism, PD, segs, lens material)
    *Hand edge a CR-39 lens that has an ED a couple mm too large for a full frame.
    *Re-string one side of a semi-rimless frame in 5 minutes
    *Measure vertex of a patient using a distometer
    *Properly take segs for a PAL on a patient

The exam room has you:
    *Practice your aseptic technique (that is, you wash your hands and use an alcohol swab on equipment)
    *Use a manual keratometer to read an RGP CL
    *Neutralize 3 RGP CLs (rx, diameter, curvature with a radiuscope, type)
    *Use a slit lamp with the lighting technique requested (ie: sclerotic scatter)
    *Assess fluorescein slit lamp photos for basic ocular conditions (GPC, corneal abrasion, etc.) and fit of CLs (steep fit, flat fit, ideal fit)

Hopefully this is of help to you.

Thread Information