Thread: Bye Bye Titmus Safety

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Bye Bye Titmus Safety

Well today I removed all the Titmus safety frames from my stock because of the Eyelation kiosk, which is illegally operating in Ohio. We have had a rash of patients in our office with progressive problems (shocker). And of course our worthless board won't do anything about it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here is the mission statement of our board.

Mission Statement
    The mission of the Ohio Optical Dispensers Board is to protect and serve the public of Ohio by effectively and efficiently regulating the practice of Opticianry and Ocularistry in Ohio

OptiWizard OptiBoard Bronze Supporter pezfaerie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeoptical View Post
    Well today I removed all the Titmus safety frames from my stock because of the Eyelation kiosk, which is illegally operating in Ohio. We have had a rash of patients in our office with progressive problems (shocker). And of course our worthless board won't do anything about it.

They also carry ArmouRx, Art Craft, Hudson Optical, UVEX/Titmus, and Wiley X.....

Have you tried contacting the board and launching a complaint?
    Pez:D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was approached to participate in the Eyelation program as a company in my city signed up and they wanted someone local.
    So there's no face to face interaction with an ECP, the ECP get a whopping 2% of the cost of the safety glasses and it's promised
    that the employee and their families will flock to your door for extra sales.
    Like buckeyeoptical said, I could only forsee a batch of problems with this and it sounds like it's come true.
    Eyelation is a true cluster****!

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Eyelation is a honeywell safety machine so that's why I'm pulling Titmus safety. I have contacted the board but don't see anything happening. Also I contacted a guy who does a large amount of onsite safety and he has seen more and more of these pop up. And has been in contact multiple times with the board, but alas no progress.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here is there return policy. How do they do adjustments?

Last Updated Date: March 17, 2015

All returns are subject to review upon receipt. This policy is subject to change. All updates to the policy will be posted here.

• Eyelation has a 30-day guarantee on most safety glasses ordered through the kiosk. During this 30-day period, a customer may send his/her glasses back to Eyelation ONE time, at Eyelation’s expense, for an adjustment, exchange, or a full refund. The 30-day exchange period begins from the date they are shipped/received, not ordered.

• For exchanges, a full credit will be issued for the returned pair and a new order will be placed for the replacement pair. All monies will be refunded or charged to the customer and/or company as appropriate. If the exchange is made outside the 30-day exchange period, then the replacement pair will be at the employee’s and or company’s expense. Glasses that are received past the 30 days are no longer eligible for a return or refund.

• All frames carry a 1-year warranty against breakage caused by normal wear and tear. During this period, a customer may send his/her eyeglasses back, at the customer’s expense, for a one-time replacement at no cost. It is at Eyelation’s discretion to determine if damage is considered normal wear and tear. Replacement frames are not covered under warranty.

• When Ultra-Hard Coating is purchased, the lenses have a one-year, one-time warranty replacement against breakage and major scratches. During this period, a customer may send his/her eyeglasses back, at the customer’s expense, for replacement lenses at no cost. This warranty is void if any paper cleaning products, solvents, ammonia or ammonia-based products (such as Windex) have been used on the lenses.

• Return shipping labels issued at Eyelation’s expense must be used within 7 days after which it will be voided. Any costs associated with the shipping glasses back to Eyelation after the 30-day guarantee period will be at the customer’s expense. Glasses that are received past the 30 days are no longer eligible for a return or refund.

• If a doctor prescribes a “multifocal style” * lens and the customer chooses to order single vision instead, then the customer waives the 30-day warranty. What this means is, if the customer is unsatisfied with the lenses and wants to reorder “multifocal style”* lenses, then Eyelation will not cover the cost of the replacement pair or shipping expenses.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does the kiosk automatically take measurements and process my order for me?
    The kiosk does not take measurements; rather one of Eyelation’s opticians reviews every order and manually takes measurements before processing any order. If there are questions with an order, one of the opticians will contact you.

I bet you it's not an Ohio licensed optician.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    I was approached to participate in the Eyelation program as a company in my city signed up and they wanted someone local.
    So there's no face to face interaction with an ECP, the ECP get a whopping 2% of the cost of the safety glasses and it's promised
    that the employee and their families will flock to your door for extra sales.
    Like buckeyeoptical said, I could only forsee a batch of problems with this and it sounds like it's come true.
    Eyelation is a true cluster****!

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Interesting..........they must be aware that Canadian safety glasses must be fitted by a LICENSED eyecare provider.

A kiosk system, without one, might be able to operate in B.C...........but it couldn't do safety work.
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Here is the mission statement of our board.
    Mission Statement
    The mission of the Ohio Optical Dispensers Board is to protect and serve the public of Ohio by effectively and efficiently regulating the practice of Opticianry and Ocularistry in Ohio
    Ocularistry? First time I've ever heard that word. Also, how does their optician take any measurements if its just a kiosk? Do they sign up some local person to do it?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would assume a person at the lab estimates the measurements.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    Interesting..........they must be aware that Canadian safety glasses must be fitted by a LICENSED eyecare provider.

A kiosk system, without one, might be able to operate in B.C...........but it couldn't do safety work.
    They're already in Ontario, in fact there is 3 that I know of being operated by a well known Canadian safety supplier.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It seem as though the board is neglecting their duties by not sending cease and desist orders.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper The board in BC did nothing when Clearly .......................

It seem as though the board is neglecting their duties by not sending cease and desist orders.

The board in BC did nothing when Clearly started to sell online and got big and then was sold to Essilor.

Actually BC is now fully deregulated and for sure some political worms are pulling strings at the right places in other jurisdictions all over the Continent.

Have you ever thought that manufacturers in our field would ever start selling directly to the consumers ? There are always more and more of them setting up shop to sell their goods on the web.

Obviously by selling RX's online is against the local regulations, but regulators do not react.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The board has power over opticians not the industry. Sorry to hear about the kiosks.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper The board has power over opticians not the industry. ................

Quote Originally Posted by MakeOptics View Post

The board has power over opticians not the industry. Sorry to hear about the kiosks.
    Anybody that sells the end product of a medical Rx to the public, in this case, the on-line optical, is the "Optician".

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeOptics View Post

The Board does not have jurisdiction over unlicensed persons practicing Opticianry or Ocularistry, and therefore cannot take disciplinary action against them. However, after an investigation, an injunction or criminal prosecution to prohibit further unlicensed activity may be filed with the prosecuting attorney in the county where the violation occurred and/or any other appropriate authority, such as another state agency.

Directly from their website.

Occupation
    Interesting .............

what website is that ?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Interesting .............

what website is that ?
    http://optical.ohio.gov/complaints.stm

Go to the bottom.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I would assume a person at the lab estimates the measurements.
    Geez. No wonder there are so many issues. Especially with progressives, this is not one of those things that works well with "estimation"

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    They're already in Ontario, in fact there is 3 that I know of being operated by a well known Canadian safety supplier.
    i am curious if our college has been notified and taken any steps against this yet

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by jc17777 View Post
    i am curious if our college has been notified and taken any steps against this yet
    A much larger safety supplier and competitor filed a complaint with the COO reiterating the dispensing laws to which the college. Honeywell lawyers sent their customer a letter to show the college basically saying their system is not breaking any laws (which is completely false).

The college did nothing further. It seems now a days big balls and money are now what's required to operate a business, not ethics or complying with legalities.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Care to explain what is actually happening? I know nothing of this program.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Care to explain what is actually happening? I know nothing of this program.
    Doc you want to know about the Eyelation kiosk?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    A much larger safety supplier and competitor filed a complaint with the COO reiterating the dispensing laws to which the college. Honeywell lawyers sent their customer a letter to show the college basically saying their system is not breaking any laws (which is completely false).

The college did nothing further. It seems now a days big balls and money are now what's required to operate a business, not ethics or complying with legalities.
    It also seems like since the bruce Berges incident that the college isnt willing to spend more money to try to stop these businesses. But yet our fees keep going up every year

Thread Information