Thread: Replacement for Seiko Superior

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Replacement for Seiko Superior

Hello All!
    I am in need of a lens which is comparable to the Seiko Superior. As most of you know, the recent Hoya takeover of Seiko has also meant that Seiko's lenses (which were previously not on VSP's formulary) will soon be covered under VSP. I need a lens that is as close to the Superior as possible as far as design, customization, and price which is NOT on VSP's list. I'm willing to go lab proprietaries as long as it's a decent lens. Having a hard time with this one...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try the Camber lens. I am switching from the Superior to it as my ultra-premium lens.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SailorEd View Post
    Try the Camber lens. I am switching from the Superior to it as my ultra-premium lens.
    So, from what I've ascertained from reading and talking to people - not very well informed people, mind you - is that "Camber technology" is simply the BC design on the front surface of a blank and labs surface a separate PAL design onto the backside. Please tell me if I'm wrong. Would using this technology make a lens "non-VSP" if the design itself is listed under VSP's formulary? Also, would using this tech really push an okay design/customization philosophy of a lab's proprietary lens over the "ultra-premium" threshold? I understand the advantage of this tech, especially for hyperopes, but I'm not certain that it is enough that it would make an Ovation, for instance, "ultra-premium." (okay, that statement was a little hyperbolic but you get the idea).

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Music Virtuoso - you are 100% Correct. The Camber lens is just what you state - A blank with an altered front base curve. A poor design or a good design can be cut on it. I've had camber designs that were fantastic. I've had ones that stunk. It probably has to do with what lens designs the surfacing lab used. Obviously they are all IOT designs, but I have had terrible experiences with the VSP PLXpression lens which uses Camber Technology. So make sure you know what you are getting.

Thread Information