Thread: Black Friday sales slip from year prior: ShopperTrak

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Black Friday sales slip from year prior: ShopperTrak

Black Friday sales slip from year prior: ShopperTrak

Brick and mortar retailers saw less foot traffic on Thanksgiving and the day after—the national retail extravaganza otherwise known as Black Friday—as consumers appeared to get an early start on holiday shopping and turned out in stores in fewer numbers, a retail tracking firm said on Saturday.

ShopperTrak's preliminary figures estimated combined retail sales of $12.1 billion over Thanksgiving and Black Friday, a projected decrease from the comparable year-ago period. The firm added that Thanksgiving Day grossed just shy of $2 billion, while Black Friday pulled in more than $10 billion.

Question : Why ?

With all the economy doing good again ?

Occupation
    Why? - Well, speaking personally, if you think that I am going to go out among the hoards of great unwashed and fight the traffic just to save a few bucks of money on a freaking TV you have another thought coming. Our Christmas shopping consists of mostly gift cards and on line purchases from LL Beans, Peterman's and the like. In addition, I hold those retailers who open their glorified push carts on "Black Friday" in low esteem. Avoid the rush. Shop on-line from the convenience of your couch.

Oh yah, the economy is really doing well. As Colonel Potter used to say "horse pucky." What happened to all the middle class jobs in manufacturing, energy, etc. How about all the unemployed who are living back with mom and dad or those living under a bridge roasting a squirrel over an open fire. Yah, there are a lot of jobs like working for Eyeglasses or Us for $12.00 an hour. Try feeding the bull dog on that. Lets not forget all the recent graduates of Watsamatta U who owe $80,000.00 in student loans and are working as baristas in the mall dispute their BA in Urban Studies.

Now, not having any ready cash ain't no problem - I got my credit card. Smile today, cry tomorrow.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Black Friday sales is primarily a report on consumers who go to brick and mortar stores the day after Thanksgiving. The reports are that more and more consumers are turning to online sales to save time, and for convenience....as well as some money....maybe,....saving is in the eyes of the beholder.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We did $24,300 on Black Friday, owner was very happy.

OptiBoard Professional Dustin.B's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Speaking from the view of someone who spent several years working in a retail store... There is no day after Thanksgiving! I don't care what your sales are, I've had nightmares of getting caught in those crowds, I have known coworkers and customers put in the hospital for that sale. Nope. Never going there. Ever.
    ~Dustin B. AboC

"Laugh, or you will go crazy."

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Personally, if your open on Thanksgiving, you have lost my Business forever. I have worked Thanksgiving and had to miss family time, haven't seen my brother in 2 years because of this, and I don't think I am alone in the thought, Thanksgiving is for being thankful for what we have, not an excuse to go get more!

OptiWizard
    Occupation

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We switched to buying online and i assume most other people have also. Walmart had all or at least most of their sales online as well as in store. Amazon has had specials all week not just cyber Monday. I don't shop on Thanksgiving. i wont even stop for gas.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm in a retail mall and closed Thanksgiving and Black Friday. We don't want any hordes pawing around our frame displays, thank you very much. Against my mall rules, but I don't play by their rules and so far they haven't called me on it.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bill Stacy View Post
    I'm in a retail mall and closed Thanksgiving and Black Friday. We don't want any hordes pawing around our frame displays, thank you very much. Against my mall rules, but I don't play by their rules and so far they haven't called me on it.
    Thats awesome. I haven't worked in a mall in a long time but I spent way too many nights during holiday shopping season being open until 11pm because of "Mall Rules".

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bill Stacy View Post
    They would rather rent the space to ya then lose ya.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    On line purchases Vs Sears Wish Book
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizikal View Post
    i wont even stop for gas.
    While I don't disagree with this, I will say...One year leaving a family's house after Turkey dinner, we were on a long drive home (an hour and half drive). I didn't bring snacks because we just ate like piggies and I didn't think it was necessary. Just one little bag of pretzels. I really didn't think that my two year old would be dying of hunger in the backseat. Let me just tell you...I felt like the heavens opened up when I saw that McDonald's was open and I could get a happy meal. Yup. Happy meal on Thanksgiving day. Desperate times. Desperate times.

Thread Information