Thread: ABO test results

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ABO test results

Hello OptiBoard !
    Has anyone here taken the 2015 Nov abo/ncle testing run. I am trying to find out if they have updated their system to allow you faster results. A co worker and myself have taken it recently and immediately were given a "passed" with a break down of 6 categories of the test and a break down if our results were adequate in each category. I was under the impression that you don't know anything about your test until your official results 4-8 weeks later. But there was no mention anywhere about a 4-8 week wait time. Any information is greatly appreciated.

The Drizzller

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Congrats on passing. I'm sure the test creators are proud about giving your results so quickly. That tells me that they are not doing any post exam item analysis at all. A sad state of affairs that pretty much guarantees they are using an old bank of questions that do not address new information, new skills, new technology, etc. and they are not worrying at all about the quality or correctness of their questions.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Drizzller View Post
    Hello OptiBoard !
    Has anyone here taken the 2015 Nov abo/ncle testing run. I am trying to find out if they have updated their system to allow you faster results. A co worker and myself have taken it recently and immediately were given a "passed" with a break down of 6 categories of the test and a break down if our results were adequate in each category. I was under the impression that you don't know anything about your test until your official results 4-8 weeks later. But there was no mention anywhere about a 4-8 week wait time. Any information is greatly appreciated.

The Drizzller
    I took the test on November 20th and also received an instant "passed". None of the people I work with who have taken the test before me got the same thing. A little confused if I should be celebrating just yet or not.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congratulations to ABO/NCLE for updating the system, which has been discussed here thousands of times. We finally are up-to-date with other testing agencies who have used this kind of computerized approach for years now. And no, Dr. Stacy, it does no indicate a weak exam. The test bank is psychometrically developed, and updated constantly. This kind of approach allows for more and higher levels of analysis......not less. You should stick to something you know about.
    Last edited by wmcdonald; 11-22-2015 at 08:29 AM.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I do know something about it and have written and evaluated hundreds of test questions. One thing I know is if there is no time for post test item analysis, the test may not be testing what you think it is. There's another thread with an example of how badly written and just wrong answer keys cannot be found if there's no time to find them.

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...rmula-question
    Last edited by Dr. Bill Stacy; 11-22-2015 at 09:59 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is common practice for testing organizations today to use computerized approaches, and it does not eliminate post-test analysis of the results. Medical board specialties, Nursing, and many others use the approach quite effectively. In the past ABO/NCLE has taken 8 weeks to send results to candidates, and there were lengthy diatribes regarding the out-of-date methods that went on for unending weeks complaining about it. Now they have spent thousands and thousands of dollars to get into the 21st century, which should be appreciated. It tests EXACTLY what the board thinks it is testing. The process for writing questions is a lengthy one that requires analysis by psychometric experts who are well versed in how to accomplish the task, and there are many content experts who are also a part of the process. I doubt very seriously your expertise in the matter, and just because you wrote some exam questions for an OD board does not qualify you. It goes far beyond that.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Well you happen to be wrong. No only was I chairman of the exam committee for the calif. state board of optometry for 2 years, I actually developed the first computerized exam for that body and continued to be a consultant on that process for several years after that. My exam structure was used for several years until Calif. decided to make the NBEO exam mandatory, and no longer offers an exam itself.

As to instant grading, we realized immediately that that was an impossible task because we always found invalid questions and sometimes found incorrect keys after the fact by statistical analysis that the computer made much easier, but the review and dropping or not dropping questions always will take some time, except for the ones that can be struck down by the computer, such as when nearly everyone gets it correct (too easy), or almost nobody gets it correct (too hard). It's those where the correct answer rates fall in the questionable range, that need human decision making. Sure we had some complaints about the results taking too long, but we were never sued for that, and we always maintained that everyone should receive their results at the same time. I would really be upset if someone got an instant result while I had to wait for mine. Now there's a lawsuit that needs to be filed.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I feel it is important to be fair, and in my haste to defend the ABO/NCLE, I probably was a bit harsh, but in contemporary testing all of those issues are dealt with very quickly. What predicates my defense is the constant, and seemingly never-ending threads complaining about the length of time it took to get back grades, and now they have acted to correct it, and still there are complaints. But it is good to discuss further, and I think you may change your mind if you were to do some research on current approaches. I am not sure how long it has been since you were involved, but this is how it is done in contemporary testing, and it is here to stay. You should also consider that there are often questions that may have been somewhat misleading or wrong answer keys discovered post exam even in face-to-face tests, but in today's world, they are eliminated upon review very easily. I do wish you the best, and appreciate the dialogue.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well with that said, I am not complaining about how short or long the waiting time is it understand and was aware when I went in that it could be a month or more for results. I was very surprised to see the instant result when I took mine. With that said I don't know if this instant result can be taken as correct yes I passed or do I still need to wait. As the other person said I know it's a basic exam to them but to me it's the start of many things and the first step in the process. Thank you all for your responses

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do not know what you don't get.......you passed. Congratulations! I responded to your earlier private message as well.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you!

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    The results are now instantaneous. We just had a group of people take the ABO 2 weeks ago and it gave them their results at the end of the test.

I'm wondering if the same system is used for the advanced test.
    Robert Minardi ABO-AC
    https://robertminardi.com/

"If you want something you have never had, you must be willing to do something you have never done."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I took my ABO November 21st and got an instant "passed," I also received an email a week afterwards that said Congratulations on passing from them as well, stating that my wall certification was being ordered. So congratulations on passing!!

Thread Information