Thread: Anti Reflection Coating Ranking

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Anti Reflection Coating Ranking

Hello fellow eye car practitioners. Id like to get everyone input on their favourite a/r coatings. If you could rank your favourite coatings in three different aspects that would be great.
    1. Scratch resistance: Hoya Ex3 would be my favourite. They boast that it has the highest scratch resistance on the market and that it is even better than glass lenses. Plus they back it up with a two year anything covered warranty that we have had no issues with.
    2. Anti Glare Reduction: Nikon SeeCoat+: I just think this one seems to reduce the most glare from patient feed back ive received.
    3. Longevity: Hoya Ex3. Besides there scratch resistance it seems like it holds up quite well to crazing and other a/r coating issues.
    4.Blue reduction coating(Start the debate again): Nikon SeeCoat Blue: I was debating picking Centennial's BlueTech Lenses but I just doing like that yellow look and for cosmetics and functionally I think Nikon's Coating would be the top one for me.

Of course these coatings are just what my office is use to using. Id love to get more feedback on other companies like Zeiss and Essilor ect and what everyone thinks of their coatings.

Regards,
    Jc

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use Essilor, and usually from the Crizal Easy UV line. Works great, EZ to clean, and less $$$ than many of their other ARs.
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    BluTech is a yellow infused tint, not a coating. You can add an AR to a Blutech. I also like Hoya EX3 but they are kind of spendy. I mostly use Plexus (vsp) Unity elite or classic because of my location.

I do not like any blue reflective (mirror) coatings except in cases where there is no possibility of direct back side illumination.

But I am interested in the Nikon seecoat or seecoat +. Can you tell me what residual hue that these coating have (probably green or blue), and how faint/strong is the reflection, say compared to an EX3 or a zeiss pure coat?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hoya and Zeiss make good ARs but for easy clean-ability Crizal Avance and Sapphire are outstanding. Even 2 year old lenses are easy to clean and stay clean.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Overall - avance. Resists scratching and super easy to clean. Sapphire seems to be a little better at glare reduction, but not as scratch resistant nor as easy to clean. I would rank Sapphire the same as EX3.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Avance/Prevencia is all we are using. I have used many and crizal is by far the best to hold up. I have a pair of sapphires and love them too.
    I prefer the look of the blue sapphire or even more so based on looks alone, the zeiss teflon. It just dont hold up like crizal.
    Last edited by Slim; 11-22-2015 at 10:54 AM.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Prevencia is not an AR coating, it's a partial mirror coating.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bill Stacy View Post
    Prevencia is not an AR coating, it's a partial mirror coating.
    Again with this.

I like the look of Crizal Sapphire and Zeiss PureCoat the best of any ARs I've ever seen. The cleanability of Avance and EX3 are amazing. I also have a soft spot for the old Zeiss Gold.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper It seems that it is all a of personal matter of liking or not. ..................

Funny.................eight post's and eight different opinions. So there is not one product that is the best.

It seems that it is all a of personal matter of liking or not.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Funny.................eight post's and eight different opinions. So there is not one product that is the best.

There is a very even level of excellence in AR coatings right now, yes.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    There is a very even level of excellence in AR coatings right now, yes.
    Among 2 or 3 premium brands probably, there is veritable sea of mediocrity as well. Much of it is able to be sold as "high level" coatings in managed vision care price tiers also. Its a shame.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    Among 2 or 3 premium brands probably, there is veritable sea of mediocrity as well. Much of it is able to be sold as "high level" coatings in managed vision care price tiers also. Its a shame.
    I see those brands that are highly praised on this thread in the vision plans price tiers, along with cheaper ones. What's wrong with giving the patient a choice?
    I do not believe in not giving patients choices by dictating what the can have or not have. That's just arrogance.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    BluTech is a yellow infused tint, not a coating. You can add an AR to a Blutech. I also like Hoya EX3 but they are kind of spendy. I mostly use Plexus (vsp) Unity elite or classic because of my location.

I do not like any blue reflective (mirror) coatings except in cases where there is no possibility of direct back side illumination.

But I am interested in the Nikon seecoat or seecoat +. Can you tell me what residual hue that these coating have (probably green or blue), and how faint/strong is the reflection, say compared to an EX3 or a zeiss pure coat?
    The Nikon SeeCoat+ looks very nice, it has a green tinge(slightly more green than the ex3) but overall i think looks slightly nicer cosmetically than the ex3 coating.
    The SeeCoat Blue has a blue tinge closer to the recharge ex3 coating but has more blue than the recharge(whereas the recharge has more pink/purple)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I see those brands that are highly praised on this thread in the vision plans price tiers, along with cheaper ones. What's wrong with giving the patient a choice?
    I do not believe in not giving patients choices by dictating what the can have or not have. That's just arrogance.
    I think you misunderstood me. Because of their own inherent interests, certain managed vision care plans include lesser ARs in their Top Tier pricing. I would never sell someone an AR for a top tier pricing when I know for the same copay they could receive one that is much, MUCH better. As a matter of "advising" on the other hand there is a point at which I tell a client not to get less than a certain tier because I believe it is a waste of their money.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by jc17777 View Post
    The Nikon SeeCoat+ looks very nice, it has a green tinge(slightly more green than the ex3) but overall i think looks slightly nicer cosmetically than the ex3 coating.
    The SeeCoat Blue has a blue tinge closer to the recharge ex3 coating but has more blue than the recharge(whereas the recharge has more pink/purple)
    Hoya's Recharge is not an AR, just like Prevencia, TechShield and Blue Protect, they are all blue reflectors, more of a mirror than an AR coating. And all 4 primarily reflect blue strongly from both sides.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    I think you misunderstood me. Because of their own inherent interests, certain managed vision care plans include lesser ARs in their Top Tier pricing. I would never sell someone an AR for a top tier pricing when I know for the same copay they could receive one that is much, MUCH better. As a matter of "advising" on the other hand there is a point at which I tell a client not to get less than a certain tier because I believe it is a waste of their money.
    I agree that there are some silly groupings but that's where your expertise comes in. I too tell people there are some coatings I don't use because they are guaranteed allright, guaranteed to scratch off immediately.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hoya's Recharge is not an AR, just like Prevencia, TechShield and Blue Protect, they are all blue reflectors, more of a mirror than an AR coating. And all 4 primarily reflect blue strongly from both sides.
    The recharge is not an A/R coating, but they do combine it with the ex3. The Seecoat Blue from Nikon is similar to the recharge ex3 because the blue coating is combined with their seecoat + coating

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by jc17777 View Post
    The recharge is not an A/R coating, but they do combine it with the ex3. The Seecoat Blue from Nikon is similar to the recharge ex3 because the blue coating is combined with their seecoat + coating
    By "combine it with the ex3" I think you mean they put the Recharge on the front surface and their ex3 AR coating on the back surface. Probably the same with the Nikon. The problem here is that front surface is a 2 way mirror, meaning blue is heavily reflected from any blue light coming from either direction, from the front OR FROM THE BACK. Which is my beef with these "protective" coatings.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Four people have mentioned Crizal Avance.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Less about personal liking, and more about lab production quality. I LOVE Carat Advantage. I haven't been able to find anyone to make it well in nearly 10 years.

Avance is FANTASTIC, except most of the time that I get it on my Eyemed jobs.

etc.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation

Chris, didn't you know they're ranked by how often the sales rep brings coffee and donuts to the practice?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper Chris, didn't you know they're ranked ..........................

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post

Chris, didn't you know they're ranked by how often the sales rep brings coffee and donuts to the practice?
    Shame on me .............I should have remembered that one.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Except for those of us who use independent labs? I am not swayed by major companies unless they offer a product that is above and beyond the rest. (Crizal)

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

they bring you donuts and coffee?

I've been bamboozled.

OptiBoard Professional Caroline's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can someone list the Carat coatings in order from most expensive to least (not showing the price)? When I have to do an Eyemed job, I really dislike having to charge my pt extra for UV when they're already getting Trivex.
    Caroline, L.O.

If you suffer from severe nonlinear waterfowl issues, you don't have your ducks in a row.

Thread Information