Thread: How to calculate loupe over glasses focal distances.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

How to calculate loupe over glasses focal distances.

A customer has ordered a pair of Compound Optics Loupe to wear over his glasses in order to have 3.5X magnification at distance of approximately 500mm to 600mm.
    Since these are fixed focus magnifiers sourced from China he asked my advice when ordering them and I made the above recommendation according to the suppliers charts. On arrival he brought them in and unpacked the magnifiers in the store to let me see them. I tried them first and found them to work as advertised with a focal distance of about 600mm. When he tried them the focal length increased to 900mm which is beyond his reach and so not useful for him.
    These telescopic magnifiers are worn over the glasses with the eyepieces being accessed through the distance portion of the lenses.
    I wear progressive lenses with an RX of;
    OD -1.50 -0.25 x 135
    OS -1.75 -0.25 x 100 Add+2.50
    My customer wears ST35 bifocal lenses with an RX of;
    OD +1.50
    OS +1.50 Add +2.50

Would anyone know if the differences in our prescriptions are causing the differences in focal distances or should I be looking for another reason?

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
    A customer has ordered a pair of Compound Optics Loupe to wear over his glasses in order to have 3.5X magnification at distance of approximately 500mm to 600mm.
    Since these are fixed focus magnifiers sourced from China he asked my advice when ordering them and I made the above recommendation according to the suppliers charts. On arrival he brought them in and unpacked the magnifiers in the store to let me see them. I tried them first and found them to work as advertised with a focal distance of about 600mm. When he tried them the focal length increased to 900mm which is beyond his reach and so not useful for him.
    These telescopic magnifiers are worn over the glasses with the eyepieces being accessed through the distance portion of the lenses.
    OD -1.50 -0.25 x 135
    OD +1.50
    OS +1.50 Add +2.50

Would anyone know if the differences in our prescriptions are causing the differences in focal distances or should I be looking for another reason?
    It may be that you were looking through a relatively zero power of your PALs and he might have been using his segs, which could do that if they were designed to be used with his distance Rx.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Trial lens over whatever he is currently wearing.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    If the working distance is about arm's length (50-60 cm, which is as advertised and ergonomically reasonable) then it has an additional ~+1.75D of converging power to be used as an add.

If the guy can't see at arm's length with a +1.75 add, then he has to be underplussed through his distance portion. If your "spitball" of him having to hold things out at 90 cm is correct, he's underplussed:

1/0.9M = 1.1 D
    1/0.55M =1.66 D

about +0.55 D.

However, as was discussed, either refract him again or use loose trial lenses and see if you can push another +0.25 or +0.50D in the distance portion of his glasses.
    Last edited by drk; 11-17-2015 at 01:56 PM.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not an expert with telescopic loupes, but I don't see how the Rx can have any notable effect, certainly not 300mm worth. There should be some depth of focus, maybe 100mm or so, with a 600mm work distance, maybe a little less considering the high magnification.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OD -1.50 -0.25 x 135
    OD +1.50
    OS +1.50 Add +2.50

I would suggest that you have the advantage of wearing a multifocal and may also have a better accommodate ability. He is handicapped with a bifocal and could use a trifocal.............that would make your abilities more equal.
    Eyes wide open

Thread Information