Thread: What planet did Chuck Schumer beam down from? Proposed FTC regulation by him...

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Stick out tongue What planet did Chuck Schumer beam down from? Proposed FTC regulation by him...

Anyone else read the article in Optometry times?

http://optometrytimes.modernmedicine...ar-regulations

This is what he proposes:

Schumer is pushing for the following changes to the FTC Eyeglass Rule:
    • Require ECPs to provide complete eyeglass prescription information to patients, including specifics like pupillary distance
    • Require ECPs to verify prescription information for third-party sellers in a reasonable time, “allowing a consumer to take their prescription wherever they desire with the confidence of getting the right eyeglasses at the right price”
    • Require eyeglasses prescriptions to last longer than one year, “so consumers have more time to comparison shop”

I'll leave the discussion up to you guys, but personally I think he is a complete and total moron who has no clue what he's talking about.

Thoughts?
    "You can't think about it, you just gotta let your brain do the work....."
    my dad

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jcasowder View Post
    Anyone else read the article in Optometry times?

http://optometrytimes.modernmedicine...ar-regulations

This is what he proposes:

Schumer is pushing for the following changes to the FTC Eyeglass Rule:
    • Require ECPs to provide complete eyeglass prescription information to patients, including specifics like pupillary distance
    • Require ECPs to verify prescription information for third-party sellers in a reasonable time, “allowing a consumer to take their prescription wherever they desire with the confidence of getting the right eyeglasses at the right price”
    • Require eyeglasses prescriptions to last longer than one year, “so consumers have more time to comparison shop”

I'll leave the discussion up to you guys, but personally I think he is a complete and total moron who has no clue what he's talking about.

Thoughts?
    1) I do not have a lot of patients that request to have their PD written down. Usually the ones that do request it have either just ordered a pair of glasses from us or have done so previously. If that's the case, then we give them what we have on file. We do run into special cases such as those in the military or those joining the Peace Corps where they need to have the PDs on file in case something happens while overseas

2) I do not know what the requirements are for verifying Rxs for glasses are now. We get plenty of verifications for contacts & I know we have 8 business hours to respond to the verification. It cant be any longer than that for glasses now, is it?

3)PA Law already states Glasses Rx can only be valid for up to 2 years from exam date and our doctors already give that 2 year max on their Rx
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    LOL! Got the November issue today, and it was in there. Doc tends to grab these before I do. I haven't been on here in a bit. Guess I just need to log on more! 😊

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The one thing that really irks me is his telling me I have a responsibility to verify the RX for one of our doctor's patients. Granted I probably would anyway - but putting it in law really is a kick in the pants to us and what I as an optician do here. Oh well.

Thread Information