Thread: Visual Field Machine Needs To Be Fixed!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Confused Visual Field Machine Needs To Be Fixed!

Hello everyone,

My name is Zach and I've been in the optical business for almost 5 years now and I'm currently employed at a private practice. Last Friday our visual field machine went down and we need some help getting it fixed. It is made by Zeiss and Welch Allyn, I think. I called Zeiss but they want a ridiculous amount of money to fix it with no guarantee that they can fix it. So instead of doing that or buying a new machine I was hoping that someone on here might might be able to fix it. The problem we are having is the screen is black. When you turn it on you can hear it begin to start up but no matter how long you wait the screen stays black. Any help fixing it or finding someone to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Eyewear Alliance Raleigh n carolina

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe View Post
    Eyewear Alliance Raleigh n carolina
    Do they have a website or telephone number? I'm having some trouble finding them.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Sounds like you have a FDT Matrix 715

www.eyecarealliance.com

800-328-2020

OptiBoard Professional Michael I. Davis's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Your contrast button is off. You need to increase the contrast of the screen. I do not know which button that is on the matrix,but if you have the original FDT I'll check tomorrow when I get to the office which button it is on that.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    You can most likely take it to anyone that can do monitor repair and they should be able to fix it if its like the FDT shown in the post above. I doubt there is anything special about that monitor from a typical computer display.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Black screen is most likely graphics card not the monitor.

Graphics card is likely integrated into the Motherboard.

An experienced computer tech can diagnose issue by relaying redirecting graphics to an external monitor, If that does not work he can replace the motherboard.

I can tell you from experience Zeiss Acuitis 5015 auto refractor had 4 or 5 boards, find a PC tech with a delicate touch.

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I second Eyecare Alliance. We just went through that.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    We had the exact same problem with our field machine probably 6 months ago! I'm wondering if it was the same one. We ended up sending ours in to get fixed...but because the software we had was so outdated, they had to update the software and just ended up giving us an updated machine for the same price we were quoted for a repair. It ended up being the circuit board, not the contrast as someone suggested

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    Black screen is most likely graphics card not the monitor. Graphics card is likely integrated into the Motherboard. An experienced computer tech can diagnose issue by relaying redirecting graphics to an external monitor, If that does not work he can replace the motherboard. I can tell you from experience Zeiss Acuitis 5015 auto refractor had 4 or 5 boards, find a PC tech with a delicate touch.
    That's really interesting. I find that GPUs rarely give out unless ventillation is an issue (which the person deserves at that point since they didn't perform basic maintenance/service as they should have) or the card itself is defective (which is possible, there were several periods in recent years where bad cards were put out). Plus, if the GPU had gone, I'd expect a beep or some other error indication since that would be a fundamental component failure that the system should recognize, but its possible that it died in such a way a that it can't tell. I've had diagnostics say something is just peachy when it couldn't possible be more dead.

Thread Information