Thread: Private label frames

OptiBoard Novice OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Private label frames

I'm interested in having some of our own frames - does anyone have any information about just what is involved?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Get in contact with one or of the manufacturers ................

Get in contact with one or of the manufacturer's you can find on Alibaba.com and they will mark the frames any way you want, your name, my name or whatever.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Also try Bill Kautsky at Britalia Optical International - he may be able to "hook you up", and he has all of the necessary importer's paperwork in place.
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by styleyes View Post
    I'm interested in having some of our own frames - does anyone have any information about just what is involved?
    Check out Paul Vu at www.edaframes.com. He not only can put your brand on them, he will let you design your own frames. I'm trying him out right now with an initial order of 5 classic styles that I like, with my own sizing and color prefrerences. My first small order are not cheap due to the setup costs, and will be made in China, so I'm opting NOT to have my brand put on those. But guess what, if I like them and they work, jumping up to 300 per model runs, the price drops way down and they can be produced in the USA or Italy (with those countries of manufacture emblazoned on the temple as well as your brand). Now that will be wonderful if it happens, and I will report back to this forum with the results. Paul seems to have a high quality process, although his own line is a bit funky for me, which is why I did my own designs. Actually, he already has frames of the P3 shape that is so hot right now, and I just changed the position of the bridge and extended the sizes. It's really a fun and exciting thing to do. But yeah, many manufacturers will stick your name on them, not just from China, but just about anyone in asia, like Korea, will do it too, and anyone who will do this will also stick your logo on them too, if you have one. Keep it simple.

Occupation
    Don't forget the Mothers Milk of the eye care business . . . money . . . . lotsa money!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A quick, easy, and inexpensive solution; SHO EYEWORKS, they offer a prefabricated line, PRIVATE COLLECTION, and will put your company name on the product.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I looked at SHO private label and I can make 3 frames for the price of one of theirs. And the profit margin is amazing-private label is unshoppable, yours, and gives the middle finger to managed care which is such a nice feeling!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am currently working with EDA and Sho. Love them both.

EDA we just got in half of our initial order, and awaiting the rest. They aren't cheap, but they also have the feel of similar lines that wholesale above their asking price.

Paul has been a pleasure to work with, and very personable. He can help guide you. You can go completely customized, completely designing the frame.. or you can have them use some classic styles/shapes in their library. Hundreds of acetates available to put your own mark, along with accouterments, like rivets, plaques, and even options for Asian fit bridges and/or nose pads.

Sho on the other hand has a collection that they will private label for you. It will be your logo/name on the temple but their designs and color combos. No custom work. Still very nice quality, and our rep Rachel was an awesome asset for my team.

There are many manufacturers out there willing to do private label, and even some "factory direct" deals. If its worth it to you or not depends upon your volume and your faith in your purchasing decisions.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Private labeling for your practice is a great way to retain profits and prevent consumers from shopping online or compare with your brick and mortar competition. Before moving fully into the manufacturing side I was importing eyewear from Asia for my practices. Provided you can absorb the quantity (typically 300-500 per style/size) it is a good direction to move.

Issues you may encounter though are in the time it takes for you to tweak a new design concept. The easiest and fastest way to solve this is to provide samples of styles that you want to emulate (size and shapes) and provide color samples (not necessarily from the same design) so that the manufacture has a template to work with. Based upon your samples, materials, colors prices can vary widely. Acetate prices increase greatly when the frames require custom metal parts (logos, name plates, special hinges, etc). Also important is not choosing too many colors for a given style. For internal practice consumption limit your colors to 2 (3 max) so that you do not get stuck with colors that turn out to be unsellable.

We have been manufacturing for practices and wholesalers for 11 years and by far the smoothest process are when samples are provided though we have of course provided design services. If you take the leap, make your staff part of the process and you will find enthusiasm when the product arrives helping propel sales.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We work with a small German frames manufacturer, Schnuchel. All quality acetate frames, you can create your own collection by choosing any frame/size/color combination you want. So every frame is unique.
    They also make frames tailor made on order. I don't know if they do business in the US.

Thread Information