Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking into chemistrie clips care to share your pros and cons

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Looking into chemistrie clips care to share your pros and cons

Hi All, I am currently looking into Chemistrie Clips as an alternative to second pair options. Not just as a substitution for sunglasses but as an option for an HEV over their lenses, a small ADD for computer use and digital held devices as well as a larger ADD for reading or specialized near. I was hoping that a Regressive Lens design; like the Computer, Office, or the like could be mounted into the Chemistrie system, but was told, no not possible. Does anyone have a lab that they use who can facilitate such a design with the Chemistrie system or am I limited to SV Plus designs.
    Thank You,
    Paul
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Let me begin by saying that I absolutely love my Chemistrie clips. I have several.

That being said, I think you're limited to the lenses provided by Eyenovate to work with the system. Have you considered contacting Arnold D'Burdo at Custom Eyes? His lab can fabricate a custom clip to perfectly match frame color and shape and you should be able to use the lens styles you choose.

http://www.goodseeco.com/collections...eyes-sun-clips

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I 've made regressives using the Chem system and stock Hoya PAL's in poly (plano w/1.00-1.25 adds.) mounted upside down. Works well when you don't want to bump the main lenses adds. Not recommended for multi-monitor use. You can also use a regular Chem power lens cut in half (like an executive) and have the power layer only on the distance part of the main lenses.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Let me begin by saying that I absolutely love my Chemistrie clips. I have several.

That being said, I think you're limited to the lenses provided by Eyenovate to work with the system. Have you considered contacting Arnold D'Burdo at Custom Eyes? His lab can fabricate a custom clip to perfectly match frame color and shape and you should be able to use the lens styles you choose.

http://www.goodseeco.com/collections...eyes-sun-clips
    Not their's specifically, but I have used the pronged clip-on system products to solve similar problems.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    I 've made regressives using the Chem system and stock Hoya PAL's in poly (plano w/1.00-1.25 adds.) mounted upside down. Works well when you don't want to bump the main lenses adds. Not recommended for multi-monitor use. You can also use a regular Chem power lens cut in half (like an executive) and have the power layer only on the distance part of the main lenses.
    Are you working with a lab who is doing the fabrication or is it done in-house? My issue is that I no longer cut and edge in-house and I don't see us doing so again any time soon.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chemistrie is a great value: polarized tinted in mirrors, gradients and solids, Rx readers over a distance Rx lens, 3-D clips. A great alternative for progressive wearers for computer: a +.50 reader opens up a computer screen and uses the magnets already in place!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post
    Are you working with a lab who is doing the fabrication or is it done in-house? My issue is that I no longer cut and edge in-house and I don't see us doing so again any time soon.
    In house.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nice that you can also just order clips for existing lenses; your patient doesn't have to have new lenses made, and though it takes a week-it's a better value for a patient to not have to buy new lenses. I price these the same as a Transition option.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Check with your lab, I have found most labs will not retroactively add chem clips to old lenses. If you are able to find a lab that will go outside Eyenovate specs then they can be one of the most useful tool in the tool box. I use a lab that allows this and make executive style readers/special density tints for treating diagnosed issues / regressive add lenses.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'd love to know what lab that is. I don't have full design control of my clips like you have-

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Another thumbs up.

The 2 cons I can think of is some do not like the magnet in their lens so I make a point of mentioning it and I do not like them for Silhouette drilled. My minor rx required a much thicker lens to accommodate the groove needed to let the bridge and hinge sit flush and they do not stay tight.

Be sure to get some extra bushings and the pliers so you can fix them in house.

While I'm at it- Do any of you lab rats have a trick to refit the bushing on the sun clip? I find I need to trim it back a millimeter from an already short post and have an especially difficult time squeezing the initial studs into the bushing so that it stays while I grab the crimping pliers to make it tight?

We charge $165.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Another thumbs up.

While I'm at it- Do any of you lab rats have a trick to refit the bushing on the sun clip? I find I need to trim it back a millimeter from an already short post and have an especially difficult time squeezing the initial studs into the bushing so that it stays while I grab the crimping pliers to make it tight?

As you noted, trim the bushing 1-1.5mm from the lens front. Use a push pin and press it into the bushing's holes. This does two things, it creates a little larger hole to press the bridge into and also creates a " bell shape" at the opening that will prevent the bushing from being pushed out the back of the lens while crimping.

Use you manly hands to press the bridge into the bushing as much as possible, keeping the bridge/lens vertical while doing this to prevent gravity from pulling the lens loose while you grab your crimping pliers to finish it off.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    People complain about the enormity of the magnets, especially walleyes trying to fit into small frames, but otherwise a great idea.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    People complain about the enormity of the magnets, especially walleyes trying to fit into small frames, but otherwise a great idea.
    Interesting.

Almost nobody I fit complains of "seeing" the magnets. They only hesitate at the cosmetics, at which point, I don't try to dissuade them.

My clients are happy with them!

B

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Interesting.

Almost nobody I fit complains of "seeing" the magnets. They only hesitate at the cosmetics, at which point, I don't try to dissuade them.

My clients are happy with them!

B
    Berry we sell them but we have a hard time because pt do not like the magnet in the lens is what I am told by are opt. we have only sold 19 pairs for the year witch is not a lot for the size of are office.

How do you sell them to your pt .

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Pros for me is that they are easy to attach to your glasses.
    I have put them in my back pocket sat on them and never have broke them yet.
    I love them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    Pros for me is that they are easy to attach to your glasses.
    I have put them in my back pocket sat on them and never have broke them yet.
    I love them.
    That's one way, another way is to think outside of the box, if you don't already, demonstrate other applications beside the typical polarized lens. Plus powers for near and intermediate; computer use and aid with HEV.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post
    That's one way, another way is to think outside of the box, if you don't already, demonstrate other applications beside the typical polarized lens. Plus powers for near and intermediate; computer use and aid with HEV.
    Agreed. I think out side the box like you but that is hard to teach some one. I wonce had a pt that wanted a office lens but his rx fell out side what you could get so we used the first pal and modified his rx to make it work as an office lens pt loved it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    Berry we sell them but we have a hard time because pt do not like the magnet in the lens is what I am told by are opt. we have only sold 19 pairs for the year witch is not a lot for the size of are office.

How do you sell them to your pt .
    first off, make sure every staffer is wearing them.
    Second, select your own frame with about an 8-10 degree face wrap, and use 5 base lenses or steeper. Override the default Rx magnet placement from 4mm to 3mm. All of these adjustments make the mags lens visible!

B

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have never bought into them because I think they look so dumb. I know I know its not about what "I" think is cool... and you guys seem to do well with them, but they just look so silly to me.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We sell enough that it pays for one of my optician's salary. The key to selling them is as Barry says, have everyone on board with them, demo the computer layer 1st (to the presbie's). Selling the power layer makes the sun layer a no brainer. 90% of my Chem sales are power and sun combo's.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For patients that object to mags in their lenses, if they get a plastic frame you can imbed them in the frame front itself. My edger does the lenses, I use a Smartdrill to put mags in frames. Most all patients that try a +1.00 demo over their current Rx say "I want it! Oh, how much is it?" They want it before knowing the price. It's one of the only products I've ever carried that sells itself.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    For patients that object to mags in their lenses, if they get a plastic frame you can imbed them in the frame front itself. My edger does the lenses, I use a Smartdrill to put mags in frames. Most all patients that try a +1.00 demo over their current Rx say "I want it! Oh, how much is it?" They want it before knowing the price. It's one of the only products I've ever carried that sells itself.
    +1, except that I use +0.75 as my main power.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    I have never bought into them because I think they look so dumb. I know I know its not about what "I" think is cool... and you guys seem to do well with them, but they just look so silly to me.
    And tatts, piercings, shaved heads, unshaven faces and ripped jeans with holes are not?

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    And tatts, piercings, shaved heads, unshaven faces and ripped jeans with holes are not?

B
    Exactly, some people just draw the line at drilling holes in their lenses, besides the magnets might pull some piercing's out of someone's face. Now that would be cool.

Thread Information