Thread: Another Canadian On line Optical

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Another Canadian On line Optical

Just got across this one and checked the ranking which is fairly high among the international sites.

at: international 974,823, in Canada 33,949

Domain name: ilookglasses.ca
    Domain status: registered
    Creation date: 2012/05/08
    Expiry date: 2018/05/08
    Updated date: 2015/05/09
    DNSSEC: Unsigned

Registrar:
    Name: Go Daddy Domains Canada, Inc
    Number: 2316042

Name servers:
    ns1.softlayer.com
    ns2.softlayer.com

% WHOIS look-up made at 2015-11-06 07:53:04 (GMT)
    %
    % Use of CIRA's WHOIS service is governed by the Terms of Use in its Legal
    % Notice, available at http://www.cira.ca/legal-notice/?lang=en
    %
    % (c) 2015 Canadian Internet Registration Authority, (http://www.cira.ca/)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Just got across this one and checked the ranking which is fairly high among the international sites.

at: international 974,823, in Canada 33,949

Domain name: ilookglasses.ca
    Domain status: registered
    Creation date: 2012/05/08
    Expiry date: 2018/05/08
    Updated date: 2015/05/09
    DNSSEC: Unsigned

Registrar:
    Name: Go Daddy Domains Canada, Inc
    Number: 2316042

Name servers:
    ns1.softlayer.com
    ns2.softlayer.com

% WHOIS look-up made at 2015-11-06 07:53:04 (GMT)
    %
    % Use of CIRA's WHOIS service is governed by the Terms of Use in its Legal
    % Notice, available at http://www.cira.ca/legal-notice/?lang=en
    %
    % (c) 2015 Canadian Internet Registration Authority, (http://www.cira.ca/)
    Those prices aren't far off from retail...they won't survive if there's no value or service. ECP's will always survive and thrive. Anyone I've ever spoken with that's ordered clothes online has had a major dilemma, rips, tears, fitting problems, return problems etc...and they want to order eyewear that's worn 16 hours a day???

Any cheapo consumer ordering via this system will try it once and never again. Have you ever noticed cheap consumers are always the one's that complain the most? When they show up with problems, politely explain there's nothing you can do, that for a few more bucks they could have received the entire service package and warranty, then show them the door.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No... don't show them the door and make them feel foolish and stupid. Instead, try to fix the problem. They will be forever thankful. And hopefully forever clients.
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Another Canadian Bricks and Mortar Optical !
    --------------------------------------------------
    There's a new optical store that opened in the mall near me.
    That's the third bricks and mortar store that has opened in recent memory in my city.
    This certainly constitutes a trend that is taking hold and those onliners should be shaking in their boots.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonB View Post
    No... don't show them the door and make them feel foolish and stupid. Instead, try to fix the problem. They will be forever thankful. And hopefully forever clients.
    Did I not mention 'politely' which translates into professionally to gain a new client? I was tongue and cheek when I said show them the door (until next time).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    +1

Occupation

Redhot Jumper OptiBoard is the best thermometer of opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post

Those prices aren't far off from retail...they won't survive if there's no value or service. ECP's will always survive and thrive. Anyone I've ever spoken with that's ordered clothes online has had a major dilemma, rips, tears, fitting problems, return problems etc...and they want to order eyewear that's worn 16 hours a day???

Lab Insight ............. many times you are right, this time you are a repeat standard as most other Optiboard posters for the last 10 years.

OptiBoard is the best thermometer of opinions on the optical internet. Most of them don't care.

I have been laughed at for many years when posting about the dangers to a certain profession, as the optical retail, in what's coming.

On line opticals will have sold 23 to 24 million pairs of glasses this year, and are heading for 27 millions in 2016, and that is a 10% increase from this year.

Luxottica, which is the last of the big ones to join the internet sellers, advertises free service of their internet sold glasses by their 5000 + LensCrafter stores.

The traffic ratings of internet opticals are way better than any of the largest optical corporations and get better every month.

Check the OptiBoard forum "Marketplace", I have never seen it. so busy with sales of all kinds from stores to lab equipment.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Lab Insight ............. many times you are right, this time you are a repeat standard as most other Optiboard posters for the last 10 years.

OptiBoard is the best thermometer of opinions on the optical internet. Most of them don't care.

I have been laughed at for many years when posting about the dangers to a certain profession, as the optical retail, in what's coming.

On line opticals will have sold 23 to 24 million pairs of glasses this year, and are heading for 27 millions in 2016, and that is a 10% increase from this year.

Luxottica, which is the last of the big ones to join the internet sellers, advertises free service of their internet sold glasses by their 5000 + LensCrafter stores.

The traffic ratings of internet opticals are way better than any of the largest optical corporations and get better every month.

Check the OptiBoard forum "Marketplace", I have never seen it. so busy with sales of all kinds from stores to lab equipment.
    Did I mention 'competent' business owner ECP's will weather the storm? The weak, shady ones will be long gone and for good reason. Internet sales of any product is not going away anytime soon. However, IMHO it will never grow to the point of replacing B&M locations of any retailer regardless of product.

It has caused some amalgamation so far, which I think is good for any fragmented market place. But what we don't want is amalgamation to the point of monopolization. The pendulum will swing back the other way in due time since the 'true' internet consumers are the cheapo problematic ones that you don't want standing in your store anyway complaining in front of the other 90% of those 'smart' consumers that actually value a professional's service, regardless of cost.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper "Imperialism deja vue."

It has caused some amalgamation so far, which I think is good for any fragmented market place. But what we don't want is amalgamation to the point of monopolization.
    Canadian optical history is proving the fact that we are well on the way of monopolization, similar to what we already had for a period of close to 50 years, as I call the imperium of IMPERIAL Optical.

During those days when I had my lab I used to buy American Optical lenses and blanks from them at about 20% less than AO would sell them to me.

Their tactic was the same all over the country, let a customer build up his credit to the point were he can not pay it off, and then they took over the business with the owner becoming an employee in his own store.

It is all happening again these day's, only with a different business technology. Some new super chains are getting larger and larger and the big corporation that already owns the large majority of optical labs, is lurking to jump into the regular retail scene big time. "Imperialism deja vue."

Occupation

Redhot Jumper the 'true' internet consumers are the cheapo problematic ones .................

The pendulum will swing back the other way in due time since the 'true' internet consumers are the cheapo problematic ones that you don't want standing in your store anyway complaining in front of the other 90% of those 'smart' consumers that actually value a professional's service, regardless of cost.
    There are 23 to 24 millions of them this year and the forecast for next year is a 20% increase.

I have also learned to become one of them.

In my house in Florida I rebuilt an old toolshed into nice modern office with large window s nicely tiled, but it is not air conditioned and heated. So I put in a heat pump which went on the blink last winter. I had purchased it about 5 years ago at the Home Depot.

I went to the local Home depot which had none in stock and it would take about 2 weeks to get one.

Back home I went online at Amazone.com , it was on a Thursday 10am.

They had a newer type of heat pump with a list price of $ 950.00 and sold it for $ 460.00, plus charged an extra $25.00 for next day delivery.

The following day at 11.00 am the UPS delivery truck stopped in front of my house and the driver rolled the huge close to 100 lbs box to my office door. In another hour everything was working fine,

Originally I never even thought of purchasing a big item like that on line, but I for sure have changed my mind about price and service provided, even for a big item. I would have had to rent a small truck to get the box home, if purchased locally at the full price.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    There are 23 to 24 millions of them this year and the forecast for next year is a 20% increase.

I have also learned to become one of them.

In my house in Florida I rebuilt an old toolshed into nice modern office with large window s nicely tiled, but it is not air conditioned and heated. So I put in a heat pump which went on the blink last winter. I had purchased it about 5 years ago at the Home Depot.

I went to the local Home depot which had none in stock and it would take about 2 weeks to get one.

Back home I went online at Amazone.com , it was on a Thursday 10am.

They had a newer type of heat pump with a list price of $ 950.00 and sold it for $ 460.00, plus charged an extra $25.00 for next day delivery.

The following day at 11.00 am the UPS delivery truck stopped in front of my house and the driver rolled the huge close to 100 lbs box to my office door. In another hour everything was working fine,

Originally I never even thought of purchasing a big item like that on line, but I for sure have changed my mind about price and service provided, even for a big item. I would have had to rent a small truck to get the box home, if purchased locally at the full price.
    Although convenient and a practical product, one does not wear a pump the same as eyewear for 16 hrs a day. I spoke with a consultant recently; they indicated the whole web eyewear thing isn't going away but has already peaked in Canada. I've gotta agree. The ECP's need to mop up and realize that their level of consumer engagement needs to be stepped up and enhanced.

Occupation

Blue Jumper

Although convenient and a practical product, one does not wear a pump the same as eyewear for 16 hrs a day.

I spoke with a consultant recently; they indicated the whole web eyewear thing isn't going away
    but has already peaked in Canada. I've gotta agree. The ECP's need to mop up and realize that their level of consumer engagement needs to be stepped up and enhanced.

Actually a heat pump is reversible air conditioner that also heats and is used 24 hours a day in Florida and is as important as a pair of glasses.

Better change your consultant or tell them to dig a little more in the matter of on line optical sales. There is a 20% increase of sales expected for next year and they're here to stay.

If ECP's do not make the necessary changes to sell at similar prices and charge for services they will be even more at the losing end.

Do you actually believe that the worlds 2 largest optical corporations, that all of you admired forever, are today's leaders of on line optical retail sales world wide, are stupid by investing hundreds of millions in that field ?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Do you actually believe that the worlds 2 largest optical corporations, that all of you admired forever, are today's leaders of on line optical retail sales world wide, are stupid by investing hundreds of millions in that field ?
    It's simply an arm's length platform (dressed up as Missy Piggy) to which they can push mass volume by cutting out and bypassing the level that costs them the most to service as a corporation (the ECP), also known as vertical integration. The 'stupid' ones are those that keep hitting the pellet bar repeatedly and supporting them long term; it's hard to break the human cycle of habit and repetition.

The consultant I have worked with recently is a geo-marketing expert and works with large North American companies with areas of expertise including e-sales statistics and forecasts. They are planning 2016 to be flat which says to me the web market is now at the point of saturation, so we shall see what transpires.

Interesting enough, I asked if they monitor the optical retail industry or have any useful demographics data in Canada...they said no, it's simply too small a market for them. Hence why the major optical players always use Canada as a testing ground for their global initiatives - although robust, we're only 10% at most of any other major global market.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Although convenient and a practical product, one does not wear a pump the same as eyewear for 16 hrs a day. I spoke with a consultant recently; they indicated the whole web eyewear thing isn't going away but has already peaked in Canada. I've gotta agree. The ECP's need to mop up and realize that their level of consumer engagement needs to be stepped up and enhanced.
    Lab Insight........you will never change the world according to Chris

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    Lab Insight........you will never change the world according to Chris
    A good ole forum dust up debate wouldn't be very interesting if everyone always agreed. Although sometimes stubborn and one sided, Chris is probably one of the most experienced individuals in the industry, in business ownership and in life.

I respect that. And I'm sure he respects others opinions also in return even if he doesn't agree. Heck, this is democracy and politics at its finest.

We're definitely no Trump, so not to worry.

Occupation

Blue Jumper And yes I do respect others opinions, ................

A good ole forum dust up debate wouldn't be very interesting if everyone always agreed. Although sometimes stubborn and one sided, Chris is probably one of the most experienced individuals in the industry, in business ownership and in life.

I respect that. And I'm sure he respects others opinions also in return even if he doesn't agree. Heck, this is democracy and politics at its finest.

Thank you "Lab Insight" for the kind words. Yes and I am a stubborn guy which has helped me on many occasions over a lifetime.

And yes I do respect others opinions, we all should or the world would become a bore.

Thread Information