Thread: Help with potential problems

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Help with potential problems

Hi, I just need a little help (for a work assignment) determining the potential problems that can arise when only given a prescription for readers: R+L +1.75
    Thanks!!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper No problem here if the Rx is only for reading ......................

Quote Originally Posted by cbla2364 View Post

Hi, I just need a little help (for a work assignment) determining the potential problems that can arise when only given a prescription for readers: R+L +1.75
    Thanks!!

No problem here if the Rx is only for reading, then the distance is plano = zero correction needed.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks!!
    A very broad question. Is it from the point of view where you as a dispenser are given that Rx and have to brainstorm potential issues? If so then the obvious one is PD. Measuring the wrong PD will induce unwanted prism. Sure, you'd need to be out by a fair bit to cause serious problems but it's a start. Same with excessive face form - again it would need to be really out of whack to even cause slight issues. Honestly you can only do so much damage with +1.75 readers.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Odd question...but ok... how about working distance problems. Maybe the readers may be ok for near work, but not computers. Then there is the annoyance of taking them on and off.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To me this answer depends on what assumptions are being made (that haven't been mentioned already)
    1. Are these readers made to be worn by themselves or over contact lenses?
    2. Are you assuming a high quality off the shelf (undistorted) reader or any random reader and hope for the best?
    3. Are you truly assuming no distance prescription (If I had a dollar for everytime the an ophthalmologist told a post cat patient to buy readers with up to 0.50 DC... Or one eye being 0.25-0.50 DS [+ or -] and the other other eye Plano)?
    Then to throw in some odd ball one
    4. Do the readers fit well (I know the weight is not that high on a 1.75 reader but I'm going back to the any random reader assumption and going if the patient picks out a too small reader because it feels better what would happen)?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How about not being able to find the damn things when you need them

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Most basic differences:
    1. Assumes a PD that may or may not be correct.
    2. Assumes both eyes are the same prescription.
    3. No astigmatic correction.

EDIT: Sorry, thought you meant OTC for some reason.
    Last edited by Tigerclaw; 10-30-2015 at 04:27 PM.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks!!
    The distance and far-intermediate vision will be blurry when looking through this correction. First and foremost, determine whether a full-rim, half-rim, multifocal, or multiple pairs will provide clearest and most comfortable vision for each individual's visual needs.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nonsensical question.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    Nonsensical question.
    It's a fundamental question when dealing with presbyopia. A brief and simplified scenario might be found on the basic ABO test, and goes into more detail with the advanced certifications.

For example, in the simplest of scenarios, subject #1 is an avid reader, indoors only, with zero multitasking. Subject #2 looks at a desktop monitor at a distance of 25" about 80% of the time and needs to see copy on the desktop at 16" 20% of the time. They are sunlight sensitive, enjoys reading by the pool, with the instrument panel in their vehicle is becoming difficult to see. Significantly different solutions for the same Rx, with the difference being how each subject uses their eyes.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks!!
    It is an interesting question. It could be that the patient has a distance correction in some spherical component, say -0.50 OU. For those of us who trial frame this would provide a great demonstration as to the limitations of a SV solution for presbyop's. The question also illustrates the importance of missing information on most prescriptions.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post
    The question also illustrates the importance of missing information on most prescriptions.
    That's another good example of a potential problem with this Rx. We should red flag an Rx that has low plus on the distance part of the Rx, with instructions for near only or readers, or when the distance is blank and has an add. BTW, the proper way is to write this is plano sphere, abbreviated to pl sph for both eyes, with an add of x.xx.

Here's another potential problem: the add is +2.50, but the vision-healthy client is age 55. Age mid 50's usually requires an add of +2.00 to +2.25. What is the prescriber's intent? Is the client simply an outlier (rare), or is the prescriber trying to correct for a CC that is caused by improper lens design and/or occupational concerns (desktop computers, plumber), or adjusting for a non-standard near work distance, maybe due to habit or unusually short or long arms?

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Or they could be for a young +1.75 hyperope who only wants or feels he needs them only for near, but the Rx says readers because that's what the patient wants to call them. Of course the Rxer would be misleading everyone if he did that, and might end up with them being incorrectly decentered for a near p.d.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Nonsensical question.
    Yah . . . lets not project problems before they happen. That being said, I'll bet that this post will generate tons of responses as all the experts check in.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Yah . . . lets not project problems before they happen. That being said, I'll bet that this post will generate tons of responses as all the experts check in.
    Uh Dick, the premises of the post is an exercise, to determine or project potential (theoretical) problems with an Rx such as this.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok, I will bite. Was the prescription made on "Opternative?" with their new online test for presbyopia?

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Ok, I will bite. Was the prescription made on "Opternative?" with their new online test for presbyopia?
    Funny, but I had a dream last night that I upgraded to a new big fancy milling machine type edger that had two little removable port covers at about eye level. One was marked "autorefractor/keratometer/topographer", the other was marked "fundus camera/tonometer/pupillometer". There was this 3rd port that wasn't covered, it was an obvious credit card slider, just like my new CC machine that accepts the new smart credit cards.

My Atenolol insert warned me about "vivid dreams".

Thread Information