Thread: Is there any explanation....

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Is there any explanation....

Is there any reasonable explanation why someone would have a difficult time adapting to a lens shape? In my case the folks I'm talking about have been wearing the shallow rectangular frame shapes for years and have recently switched up to more traditional rounder shapes. Could they be having a difficult time with the deeper B measurement? I'm talking SV prescriptions here. Help me make sense of this.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are we talking higher prescriptions or everybody?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by jpways View Post
    Are we talking higher prescriptions or everybody?
    Not necessarily higher prescriptions and I've had a lot more happy clients than people that are having difficulty but of course its the couple that are having difficulty that I'm focusing on.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    FBC, placement of OC, more LCA. What's the material and lens design. Off the top of my head I'd try FFSV CR 39.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I've had patients complain about adapting to wider or darker temples. Have had to change out a few people who got Silhouetttes and later decided they couldn't get used to the drill mounts so close to their line of site.

I don't think there is a good explanation to why this happens....just human nature....resistance to change.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ...oh and don't forget Rx change. Some people are sensitive to changes in their cyl. and axis. If it is a new Rx, TF the old and new.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    I've had patients complain about adapting to wider or darker temples. Have had to change out a few people who got Silhouetttes and later decided they couldn't get used to the drill mounts so close to their line of site.

I don't think there is a good explanation to why this happens....just human nature....resistance to change.
    This makes the most sense.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Absolutely! More BU prism (+) or BD prism (-) in a higher B frame.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    OC height differences and new peripheral distortion in the vertical axis.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would guess they are simply noticing more normal peripheral distortion as there is now more lens coverage in their floor-ward gaze where previously is was simply blurry uncorrected vision when they glanced down under the frames. Many people are more sensitive to clear but distorted vision than they are to just plain blurry natural vision. Same goes for progressive wearers switching to bigger frames; a -5.00 in tiny lenses never had clear peripheral vision anyway, but put him in a larger eyesize with a progressive and he'll complain about the peripheral distortion. Even through a few diopters cylinder distortion he's still seeing clearer than the uncorrected -5.00 he happily wandered through life with before. I think where previously the brain simply dismissed the blurry periphery, the new clarity forces visual attention to the area producing a new distraction. It's a new visual world, they have to give their brain time to adapt and incorporate the peripheral distractions into the sense of "normal". As always some won't have the patience to adapt, and a very few might truly not adapt, but the majority will adapt 100%. I always explain to patients before handing them their new Rx glasses "Your vision will be sharp and clear, but strange." When they put them on and confirm, great, that's the way it should be. The strangeness will go away as you wear the glasses and then you will just have comfortable clarity. Anticipating the adaptation and priming their expectation recasts the experience from abnormal and problematic to routine and mildly disrupting.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    Anticipating the adaptation and priming their expectation recasts the experience from abnormal and problematic to routine and mildly disrupting.
    Managing our patients' expectations eliminates 95% of adaptation problems, I am convinced.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Managing our patients' expectations eliminates 95% of adaptation problems, I am convinced.
    Very true....whenever a change is made, whether in lens or frame material, frame size, tint, Rx, BC,...you name it, it is far better to pre-emptively "warn" the patient that there may be an adaptation period, even when you know there is no good reason for one.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    Very true....whenever a change is made, whether in lens or frame material, frame size, tint, Rx, BC,...you name it, it is far better to pre-emptively "warn" the patient that there may be an adaptation period, even when you know there is no good reason for one.
    ...and warning them that Transitions don't work in their car, that polarized lenses will affect their ability to see gas pump displays, that their -10 lenses will have some edge thickness, that their +6 lenses probably shouldn't be in a 58mm grooved frame, that their vision will be clearer through the center of the lens than the very edge, that those thick temples will block their peripheral vision, that their drill-mount frames will bend when they fall asleep in them, etc. etc. etc...

The number of patients who continue to expect their glasses and contacts to behave like magic rather than science increasingly baffles me.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ditto Angie........but good luck getting them to REALLY understand what your trying to tell them.
    Some get it.....some just stand there with the deer in the headlight look.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    ...and warning them that Transitions don't work in their car, that polarized lenses will affect their ability to see gas pump displays, that their -10 lenses will have some edge thickness, that their +6 lenses probably shouldn't be in a 58mm grooved frame, that their vision will be clearer through the center of the lens than the very edge, that those thick temples will block their peripheral vision, that their drill-mount frames will bend when they fall asleep in them, etc. etc. etc...

The number of patients who continue to expect their glasses and contacts to behave like magic rather than science increasingly baffles me.
    Yup.

Thread Information