Thread: WECO ZET-90 Edger information

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

WECO ZET-90 Edger information

For anyone else still using these machines, I've stumbled upon a hidden potential problem with the mechanics that over time will cause a burn out of the Z-axis motor.

I will post a picture on Monday, however, briefly, the Z-axis motor drives a large pulley with a cog belt. Above that pulley is a black electro-magnetic brake. The brake itself contains two 37 mm x 25 mm x 7 mm sealed bearings, universal part # 6805RS. They run about $10 each.

With the power to the edger turned off, remove the cog belt. Just above the brake, is a steel ring with a single hole in it. Insert an allen wrench into the hole and turn the ring from side to side. If the ring turns freely, the bearings are ok. If there is *any* binding at all, both bearings will need to be replaced. Any binding on these bearings will cause additional load on the stepper motor, and if the stepper motor overheats, and over time it will burn out.

The stepper motor is no longer available, but new replacement motors from Schneider Electric Motor are, part # M1713-1.5. Slight mechanical modifications will need to be made to mount the motor, and I will have wiring information (the wire color codes are different) in a day or so.

I'll also walk you through the process of tearing down the Z-Axis assembly, removing the brake, replacing the bearings, and reassembly.

This seems to be a common failure point on these machines, and will also work on any WECO CNC-90 edgers.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Haven't forgotten about this, just got busy all of a sudden. E-mail me if you'd like updated info: glass.arteest.mn@gmail.com

Thread Information