Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VMail today

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    As far as the inclusion of PD on the Rx; I won't be using it, but if the patient wants online, let 'em try them. I'm not worried about the competition. I know your concern (and rightfully so) is when they return to you complaining about the *Rx*. I have no idea why your industry (optometry) doesn't institute a charge for a "recheck". It's a friggin' office visit and deserves a charge. If you wish to wave that fee for glasses you dispensed, that's up to you. Why do OD's recheck at N/C? My MD's sure don't.
    I don't if I wrote the Rx and filled it.

I will charge if I wrote the Rx and they filled it at a licensed optician's and it's not my fault. I won't if it's my fault.

For online glasses I won't dignify them by trouble shooting. Sorry, not even going to do that for any price. You designed it yourself and ordered it yourself, so trouble-shoot it...yourself.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

I will charge if I wrote the Rx and they filled it at a licensed optician's and it's not my fault. I won't if it's my fault.

For online glasses I won't dignify them by trouble shooting. Sorry, not even going to do thait for any price. You designed it yourself and ordered it yourself, so trouble-shoot it...yourself.
    Here, we agree, drk.

B
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 10-01-2015 at 09:36 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

For online glasses I won't dignify them by trouble shooting. Sorry, not even going to do that for any price. You designed it yourself and ordered it yourself, so trouble-shoot it...yourself.
    You sir, are not the norm.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Well the whole point of this forum and all the blood-letting is so we can collaboratively come up with standards of practice and put them into place.

I have implemented many things from this forum that I've learned. We're all on the same team: good care.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have no idea why your industry (optometry) doesn't institute a charge for a "recheck". It's a friggin' office visit and deserves a charge. If you wish to wave that fee for glasses you dispensed, that's up to you. Why do OD's recheck at N/C? My MD's sure don't.
    That is a good idea. Certainly fees can be waved if it is Dr's error or if the glasses were dispensed in office.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We're all on the same team: good care.
    +1
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Expensive eyewear?

Yea, glasses are sooooo expensive. Has Senator Scummer ever heard of America's Worst where you can get 2 pr. of glasses AND A FREE exam for 69 bucks! There are plenty of low ball deals out there where price is the ONLY consideration.
    Saw an add on "CBS This Morning" today from Zenni.com (nicely done, I hate to say). Closing shot shows prescription eyeglasses from $6.95. Doesn't sound overly expensive to me.

There are lots of choices out there for consumers to pay whatever they wish, and get what they pay for.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    That's exactly right. We now have deregulated eyeglasses. Lay off the new regulations, Chuck-U.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When hasn't the consumer had a choice of fragmenting their eye care, grocery shopping and the like. There has not been a time in my history with this industry as both a consumer and an LDO that I have not been able to take my Rx and go anywhere, likewise I have never seen anyone being denied their Rx so that they may go elsewhere.
    As to the IPD, I have given it to patients who have purchased from me. There have been many occasions when someone has brought their WP's for me to look at; poor vision, and there was no evidence to be found that WP used the given IPD. I have told my patients that if truly cheap eyewear was what they were searching for, America's Best, was the better of the two evils. At least they are benefiting from a face to face experience.
    Finally, might we begin to see a grass roots movement by all ECP's to charge for adjustments, screws, troubleshooting, and rechecks for all outside product. Giving services away has never proven to bring back but a few who actually come back to you for their next eyewear purchase. If you want to feel better about charging people for these services donate it to a charity and inform those people what becomes of their money spent for services rendered.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Optometrist
    It's telling how there's little perceived value in things like adjustments, minor repairs, etc. because of not charging for them.

So much so that people expect it for free.

What I do is give them "the first one for free" with our business card which makes us look like the nice guy. It's also promotional. It also implies that the next one won't be free.

I also have a menu of services and prices posted.

(Measuring p.d.s is not one of them, guaranteed.)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sen. Schumer is not saying you HAVE to pay less. Only that the Gov't should regulate/legislate the ease with which the eyeglass/contact lens consumer can shop around.

Despite what *your* experience may be, as my livelihood depends on fulfilling outside Rxs, many many people encounter strong resistance in my area to obtaining their proper and current Rx.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Sen. Schumer is not saying you HAVE to pay less. Only that the Gov't should regulate/legislate the ease with which the eyeglass/contact lens consumer can shop around.

Despite what *your* experience may be, as my livelihood depends on fulfilling outside Rxs, many many people encounter strong resistance in my area to obtaining their proper and current Rx.

B
    Big 'ol giant +1.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Senator Schumer can kiss my @$$.

He's lobbying for Warby Parker.

A p.d. is not related to what you're saying, Barry. They can shop all over the planet without it.

Plus, expiration dates are probably already at two years in a majority of states. What's more, if you're allowed to duplicate, it's moot, anyway.

If you can't get a copy of someone's Rx, call their office and bug them. How hard can that be? Report them to the board if needed.

We don't need anything new to achieve your goals. Heck, 99% of what he said was already said in 1978, and he's just blustering like he invented something.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post

B
    So very true, sometimes I feel like I'm trying to get a chemo drug from 5 years ago. I can see the Doc/optical not putting any guarantee on the Rx if it's past 1 year, even 2, but don't think I've ever seen someone die from wearing an "old" Rx. In my opinion, 1 year on cl is fine, most not compliant from an eye health standpoint, but eyeglasses? Like you stated, I can duplicate forever and that's ok.

A p.d. is not related to what you're saying, Barry. They can shop all over the planet without it.

Plus, expiration dates are probably already at two years in a majority of states. What's more, if you're allowed to duplicate, it's moot, anyway.

If you can't get a copy of someone's Rx, call their office and bug them. How hard can that be? Report them to the board if needed.

We don't need anything new to achieve your goals. Heck, 99% of what he said was already said in 1978, and he's just blustering like he invented something.
    Not that easy Doc, try it 30 times in one week, and let me know how that worked out for you. I'm much like Barry, it's my livelihood. Bad enough, so many require a "records release" for something that should have been handed to the patient at exam. All about "capture"!!!

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

And while we're at it...

Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Bad enough, so many require a "records release" for something that should have been handed to the patient at exam. All about "capture"!!!
    Not true if I did hand them the prescription with a a bright red stamp "SAVE THIS PRESCRIPTION REPLACEMENT COPIES $5.00". Now you argue with me it must be released under the "Eyeglass Prescription Rule". While I say under HIPPA someone owes me $5.00.

The horse called Profession done left the corral a long time ago!!!

(That's right Dick- Sour grapes!)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I do see that if the Rx was expired, an office would not want to hand it out, nor would they be obligated. It would be a medical records release scenario, then, which would cost the patient time and money.

So I get that. Even though you greatly exaggerate at 30/wk. Probably 30/yr at most.

I guess when the Rx is expired by today's standards (and I don't think 2 yrs is unreasonable--we have that here), and it goes into "records release" territory, your only alternative would be the lensometer.

So I'll support the Shyster Schumer on that point.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Can shop, yes, make purchase without one? (even though onliners always use 62. As Borysko says "It good number".)

Never, ever, ever seen 2 year ALWAYS 1...Strictly adhered to by OD offices.

Yea, lots of fun, frustration and delay for the patient. I'm just gonna start telling them to request their entire record from that office (they usually won't be going back to Dr Stingy anyway.)

Stiffer penalties with time frame guidelines wouldn't hurt my feelings.
    Your mileage may vary, but that's what's needed here.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Can shop, yes, make purchase without one? (even though onliners always use 62. As Borysko says "It good number".)
    Well heck, they're purchasing without seg height or lens material etc. so why not without p.d.?

Stiffer penalties with time frame guidelines wouldn't hurt my feelings.
    Really? The Rx release police? Not...gonna...happen.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You can confidently predict heights to an 85% satisfaction threshold.

The same cannot be said of PD. So PDs are MORE important.

B

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Well, then, that's a problems for DIY websites. Maybe they can teach DIYers how to do p.d.s within 85%.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do see that if the Rx was expired, an office would not want to hand it out, nor would they be obligated. It would be a medical records release scenario, then, which would cost the patient time and money.

So I get that. Even though you greatly exaggerate at 30/wk. Probably 30/yr at most.

I guess when the Rx is expired by today's standards (and I don't think 2 yrs is unreasonable--we have that here), and it goes into "records release" territory, your only alternative would be the lensometer.

So I'll support the Shyster Schumer on that point.
    Hey Doc, I live in a tourist town right on the ocean. Ocean eats tourists glasses every day, my record is 15 in one day, so I am not the normal optical shop in the summer. No exaggerations here from independent optician, and retail optical shop owner, outside scripts are very much needed to survive, unlike a private OD or Md office. From what I see, patient care is second to generating revenue, usually resulting in loss of patient anyhow.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I will from this moment forward refer to the DIY 62 IPD as the, Borysko Method. I expect the new edition of Brooks and Borish, Systems of Ophthalmic Dispensing, to dedicate a section to the, Borysko Method.
    The issue here is not the bloody IPD, as many here are aware of the various apps, and the use of the Borysko Method. The question is what do the DIY businesses really want and what is FTC trying to accomplish. If a particular Doc and his/her staff is actually not providing an Rx to the patient under the current laws who is going to hold them to new policies.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Hey Doc, I live in a tourist town right on the ocean. Ocean eats tourists glasses every day, my record is 15 in one day, so I am not the normal optical shop in the summer. No exaggerations here from independent optician, and retail optical shop owner, outside scripts are very much needed to survive, unlike a private OD or Md office. From what I see, patient care is second to generating revenue, usually resulting in loss of patient anyhow.
    That's a bold statement, what is it based on. Do you have a Doc providing exams at your shop who is more concerned with you selling product. What Doctor's do you come into contact with that would tell you that patient care is second to sales. If the net result is the loss of patients, they ain't in business for long. Perhaps I am living in a snow globe but I have not come across many OD's whose practice is built solely from a business model.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    This is merely an access to medical information problem. Dorks could take a photo of their SpRx on their phones and keep it with them.

Most of the old-timers on multiple meds walk around with a giant med sheet. Or they photo it to their phone. They know what's important.

For crying out loud they could scan a copy and leave it in their e-mail box and access it worldwide.

This sure as heck isn't an optometry-to-the-rescue problem. It's not my fault some beachcomber gets his glasses washed off by a tidal wave on Saturday morning when I'm cutting the grass.

And Heaven forbid these numbnuts pack a spare pair.

Grow a pair, Americans.
    Last edited by drk; 10-02-2015 at 08:17 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    This is merely an access to medical information problem. Dorks could take a photo of their SpRx on their phones and keep it with them.

Most of the old-timers on multiple meds walk around with a giant med sheet. Or they photo it to their phone. They know what's important.

For crying out loud they could scan a copy and leave it in their e-mail box and access it worldwide.

This sure as heck isn't an optometry-to-the-rescue problem. It's not my fault some beachcomber gets his glasses washed off by a tidal wave on Saturday morning when I'm cutting the grass.

And Heaven forbid these numbnuts pack a spare pair.

Grow a pair, Americans.
    Blunt, but I tend to agree. We are their doctor's office, not their mommy. Bad planning has consequences. That's how you learn to plan better. That said, in a situation like the vacationer with an emergency I'm more than happy to bend the rules to help someone out, and have done so.

Also, it's a bit hard to take the comments in the linked article very seriously when most of them are identical cut-and-paste jobs.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Thread Information