Thread: Do plano ar lenses reduce nightime glare???

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Do plano ar lenses reduce nightime glare???

Help settle a friendly disagreement with my cohort in crime.

If a person is noticing glare at night with no glasses will a pair of AR lenses help stop the glare.

How about with an rx of dist. +.25 ou add +1.75???

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Glare by definition is light entering the eye at an unusable angle. AR coating will not change or inhibit that light.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    AR coatings only reduce reflections on the surface of the lenses. They are of no use in reducing reflections on exterior surfaces, day or night.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    P.S. Can we, as an industry, PLEASE make sure we're only using the term "glare" to describe reflected light off exterior surfaces, and not the light reflected off lenses??? When we use the dumbed-down term "no-glare" or "anti-glare" to describe anti-reflective lenses, it makes polarized lenses much more difficult to explain.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Help settle a friendly disagreement with my cohort in crime.

If a person is noticing glare at night with no glasses will a pair of AR lenses help stop the glare.

How about with an rx of dist. +.25 ou add +1.75???
    Polarized lenses, I have been wearing them for over 30 years for night driving. AR won't address their issues with glare.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I always say "the anti-glare lens will reduce reflections in your lens that can be distracting". For polarized, I'll take the patient to a window and let them see the difference between tinted or polarized on car windshield reflections.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks guys.

Glare is light that is in phase which can only be negated with polarization.

Andrew- I was thinking I should put glare in quotes but it is so interchangeable now I think it is too late to put the genie back in the bottle.

FWIW- He says he feels better at night with plano AR over contacts. I say that's because the lenses interfere with just enough of the visible light to make him think he has reduced "glare".

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I wear day and early evening a Shade A polarized filter when I drive. I try *real hard* to not drive past about 10 PM or so, therefore I can't comment on headlight glare, but for me, the light shade of polarized does plenty to block "glare" and reflected light (I *hate* those super shiny mirror finish mud flaps on trucks).

Same with wet conditions, I'll wear the same pair when it's raining.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...ll=1#post93023

The five ghost images are:

Light entering the lens from the front that reflects off the back surface and then off the front and enters the eye.

Light from the front that reflects off the cornea and then off the back surface and enters the eye.

Light from the front that reflects off the cornea and then off the front surface enters the eye.

Light from the back that reflects off the back surface and enters the eye.

Light from the back that reflects off the front surface and enters the eye.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ghost images.jpg  
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Drivewear at night work to block glare, since they are yellow/brownish they also increase contrast. This works well in urban situations.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Andrew- I was thinking I should put glare in quotes but it is so interchangeable now I think it is too late to put the genie back in the bottle.
    I'm still dumb enough to keep fighting the fight.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks guys.

FWIW- He says he feels better at night with plano AR over contacts. I say that's because the lenses interfere with just enough of the visible light to make him think he has reduced "glare".
    At night with C/L wearers the pupil will dilate and can hit the exterior flange of the C/L. Keeping the terminology correct makes it easier for all of us but I have no problem educating my patients, showing them examples is a great aid.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    Drivewear at night work to block glare, since they are yellow/brownish they also increase contrast. This works well in urban situations.
    Same here, Drivewear is a terrific lens

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Zeiss can do it now?

Zeiss came in yesterday to show me a new set of clear and sun coatings that are designed for driving glare; so the clear pair would block glare associated with the newer headlight and they worked with the manufacturer for the car industry.

According to Zeiss, anyone will be helped with this new coating.

I was busy and never even saw a sample and tossed it in the pail since we don't use Zeiss and don't want to pay xxxxx+ for a coating for only their lenses.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What it is worth is that he FEELS it is better. Perception is reality. Unless there is a better solution you think you can provide, then continue to offer plano AR lenses

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks guys.

There is your possible answer.......the air flow in a vehicle tends to be set too high for contact lens wearers, so the eyewear might be behaving as a shield. The humidity level in a moving vehicle tends to decrease as the time spent traveling increases. The effect may be a haze created by surface thinning of the tear layer on the contact and open eye area. I know it drives me nuts!
    Eyes wide open

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I always thought of glare as scattered light that will annoy folks but you can use other methods to reduce glare: Anything that reduces blue light will also reduce glare.
    The brown and g-15 sunglasses we sell non-polarized seem to also cut down much the annoying glare and 100% polarization is actually not really needed or wanted for most instances.

We have found folks love the products with slightly lower levels of polarization such as: transitions polarized NXT in grey or brown along with Drivewear.
    They are not 100% effective so you can see all the instruments and heads up displays while still being able to fish.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    There is your possible answer.......the air flow in a vehicle tends to be set too high for contact lens wearers, so the eyewear might be behaving as a shield. The humidity level in a moving vehicle tends to decrease as the time spent traveling increases. The effect may be a haze created by surface thinning of the tear layer on the contact and open eye area. I know it drives me nuts!
    I was thinking the same thing.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have not seen anyone address the maturity level of a potential cataract creating glare. No matter what you put in front of that opaque lens its not going to clear or reduce any glare created by the lens.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    Great explanation! Makes perfect sense. Thanks!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You are welcome, Uncle Fester!

Other reasons discussed, in a previous discussion, link..... http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...lective-lenses
    Eyes wide open

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    I love my Drivewear sunglasses but they aren't designed to drive at night. I have looked through them at night just to see how it was and they seem too dark.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    I love my Drivewear sunglasses but they aren't designed to drive at night. I have looked through them at night just to see how it was and they seem too dark.
    I had to drive home the other night in the rain as my other pairs where in other cars; they are much better than nothing for me and I am only a -1.25D.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I had to drive home the other night in the rain as my other pairs where in other cars; they are much better than nothing for me and I am only a -1.25D.
    Well sure, they are going to be better than nothing! Especially in the rain.

OptiBoard Apprentice bourdie1979's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    no, it will not help reduce the glare off an object.
    Live from hell,
    Bourdie1979

Thread Information