Thread: Essilor Kappa CTD drill holes off

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Confused Essilor Kappa CTD drill holes off

I have been having a problem with my kappa ctd drill holes in lenses. my R eye is coming out slightly higher than my left and i have some customers noticing. I don't have the calibration pieces in office and it will cost 2k to purchase the calibration pieces. has anybody else had this problem and fixed it or are there other things i can look at? i want to exhaust all my options before purchasing the calibration pieces if possible.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    It could actually be from the blocker? That's my only guess that doesn't involve calibration

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you sure it is not slippage on the roughing wheel that is causing the issue?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    I have done blocker calibrations, cause that was a thought as well, and I am still getting the same result. I am pretty sure it is not slipping on the roughing wheel. My chuck pressure is high and the wheels are only a couple months old. I have also done some axis calibrations on the edger too thinking that could be the issue, but after edging the axis is correct. My L eye is just slightly tilted down on the nasal, but the axis for the Rx is perfect on both eyes.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is it only on drill-mounts you find an issue? If ft's are straight you have some calibration issue or something that requires more help than I am qualified. Ft's are normally the hardest to keep straight.

OptiBoard Apprentice bourdie1979's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Specslab View Post
    I have done blocker calibrations, cause that was a thought as well, and I am still getting the same result. I am pretty sure it is not slipping on the roughing wheel. My chuck pressure is high and the wheels are only a couple months old. I have also done some axis calibrations on the edger too thinking that could be the issue, but after edging the axis is correct. My L eye is just slightly tilted down on the nasal, but the axis for the Rx is perfect on both eyes.
    try low pressure. My lenses were always off whenever I used high pressure
    Live from hell,
    Bourdie1979

OptiBoard Apprentice bourdie1979's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    my kappa is great, however whenever I have to drill a thicker lens, I start to panic. My drill bit breaks off. Today is the 2nd time in 6 months, and my bit was relatively new. Is the kappa ctd just not equipped to deal with such thick a lens? Should I just drill them by hand? I have a old old old old old "multi functional holind machine", no drill bit - have no idea where to find one, and am quite unfamiliar with. I was thinking of getting the edger of making my marks, but not penetrate the lens completely, this way, half the work is done for me and I can finish it by hand (don't laugh).

or should I stop the edging while running to give it a break, make sure he drill bit hasn't slide out any further, reposition, and start cycle again? I check my bit EVERY TIME I do rimless to make sure the bit hasn't slide out in between jobs. FYI, bit broke on the 4th/thinnest hold and the lens almost seemed melted. it's on a fragile/poly setting, so I'm not sure what to do.

p.s. totally random, how does one upload their profile picture up here?
    Last edited by bourdie1979; 10-06-2015 at 04:20 PM.
    Live from hell,
    Bourdie1979

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    We have had the same exact problem with our own Kappa machine. We actually just got it "fixed" and I say fixed like that because now our drill bit has broken into the spindle, so we can't drill anything to see if it is indeed fixed. What it was though was an issue with the axis measurements the edger was using (so axis on everything was actually slightly off) and an issue where the drilling mechanism that puts pressure on the lens had come separated slightly, and would move backwards when pressure was placed on it. Once we can get our edger back in complete working order I will let you know if it has gotten better.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Assuming machine axis is correct and lens slippage is null , a tool height adjustment is needed. My experience with the KAPPA and now with 7E..this type of issue is difficult to adjust for. On the 7E there is a set screw which acts like a stop when the drill moves into position. Adjusting this affects the height of the hole. Try running plano lenses with scribbed lines @ the 180 and drill with equal set drill holes both nasal and temporal and set drill @ 0 mm 1.4mm hole size. Ideally all holes will be on the 180..if not you can adjust based on findings

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A Less Stress or Smart Drill gives you a little more work, but you control where the holes are positioned.

Thread Information