Thread: Fining poly?

OptiWizard OptiBoard Silver Supporter peyes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Fining poly?

Which fining and polishing pads do you use for poly and pressure and times. Trying to decrease my processing time

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    If you are getting good results I would not change. To answer the question using a SL-2 Gen, I use a one step pad for 2:30 and polish for 6 minutes all machines set to 18psi pin pressure

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thanks. I am using an Optronics 2G and using 7 petal Dac 1st and 2nd fining pads for 6:00 each plus 6:00 polishing and still have swirls 10% of the time. Which one step pad and polishing pad do you use? Do you use these same pads for CR and HDX? Which polish? Thank you!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow that is a lot of fining time. I used to use a 2 step system for fining, using 1.5 min 1st and a 2 min 2nd. This was using 2 bars of pressure. It wasn't that much different using 18lbs of pressure when I was in retail not wholesale.. we did drop the pressure by a couple of pounds and increased time by 30 seconds if using foam when I was in the retails setting. Polish for poly was still at 6 minutes.

Now there are some differences in the different 2 step pads out there, and in machines.

I have not used a 2G, I used all the Coburn/Gerber stuff. However, I would assume you have double checked all the calibration on both machines, and looked at things like depth of cut and speed of cut, etc.

What cylinder machines are you using? Do you have the specific model pads you are using? Looking at DAC (edge) there are a couple of different options there.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    That's way too long for fining.

follow the dac suggested pressure and time. if you have to deviate by more than 30 seconds, or 4psi, your finer/generator needs a tune-up, or you have a bad batch of pads.

what kind of finer are you using?
    when was the last time you checked stroke pattern, axis alignment, spindles, clamps, clamp pressure?

you should be checking these all monthly at the very least.

if your 2g is in top working order, you should be able to single fine 90% of your jobs

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Yeah thanks for the input. Using Optek Industrion finers which are are checked and adjusted prn every quarter. For poly we are using DAC PDR2800N Black 7 leaf 1st fine pads and PDR 1000N Brown 2nd fine pads with PDR0400 blue polish pads and Americal Plus polish. Please give me your suggestions for one step pads for both poly and CR. Again thanksfor the input.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At my last location I used the 4000N for the first fine, and 1520N for the second. Used the yellow pads 0900N for the polish pad and same polish. PSI also sells comparable product and their catalog online gives suggested times and pressures. I couldn't look at the pro site for DAC since I don't have an account there any longer..

"Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    You might want to check your water temperature. 65 degrees fis best. If too cold and you will get swirls

Thread Information