Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617

Thread: This is serious.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper I have not seen any ..............

Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post

You like baiting people, huh? I will not call your character into the discussion.

How many bodies are in the street from Internet glasses? How about from drinking sugared beverages?
    I have not seen any, and the complaint websites about it are slowing down. In the worst scenario, there could have been 23 to 24 millions of them this year alone.

And all of the optical retailers are now pushed to sell the newest inventions by the largest corporation, and others, as blue light protection, for lots more money, while they barely touch that subject on their websites.

Blue light protection has been around for exactly 32 years and was included in every UV 400 treatment (yellowish tinge) as it is now in the latest AR coatings to make them more expensive for all.

Anybody that has a service lab on the premises and is equipped to tint, either the dyepot or a microwave could add it to to a lens, for very little money.

The same idea also applies for sun glasses where most posters on OptiBoard are talking about only selling, polarized lenses while a blue blocker sunglass lens gives a much better protection and much higher contrast vision and also can be tinted on your own premises in a few minutes.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just wanted to bring back the PD discussion and legal action from FTC.

My personal belief is that when the patient's rx has an incorrect PD listed, that the prescribing doctor be immediately stripped of any ability to ever work in the optical field again.

Hopefully, that would get them to either learn how to take PDs themselves, or hire people that actually know how to do it (which does not mean your entry level OD tech). The PD thing is a joke. Why should it be on an RX when there are things (like OCs) that need to be measured when the patient is trying on the frame?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Where are you coming from with a statement like that? I've seen opticians make glasses with wrong PDs, and incorrect lenses. Why is this PD thing all of a sudden the doctors fault? You want to yank a doctors license over PDs and OC measurements when it is the dispensers ultimate responsibility?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantrill View Post
    My personal belief is that when the patient's rx has an incorrect PD listed, that the prescribing doctor be immediately stripped of any ability to ever work in the optical field again.

Hopefully, that would get them to either learn how to take PDs themselves, or hire people that actually know how to do it (which does not mean your entry level OD tech).
    Would this also apply if the wrong Rx is written? What about Dr's changes? I had an awsome OD who wrote the incorrect axis the other day. We are human...where do you draw the line and have someone never work in the field again?

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just wanted to bring back the PD discussion and legal action from FTC.

Hopefully, that would get them to either learn how to take PDs themselves, or hire people that actually know how to do it (which does not mean your entry level OD tech). The PD thing is a joke. Why should it be on an RX when there are things (like OCs) that need to be measured when the patient is trying on the frame?
    So based on your logic here, if you screw up a patient's order, we could ban you from ever working in the field again? Seems legit
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just trying to rile up the ODs. Have you read some of the responses on this thread?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Oh, you're trolling. That makes it ok.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just trying to rile up the ODs. Have you read some of the responses on this thread?
    What the.....

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Great, Quantril.

I had a BP of 165 after reading your post, and a HR of 100. My hair began to fall out. I spit my coffee out on the computer screen.

Are you happy?

Weirdo.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I have. But I'm not going to bring up a thread that was dead for nearly 9 months just to merely rustle the jimmies of the ODs on here.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Comments must be received by Oct. 26, 2015, and instructions for filing comments appear in the Federal Register Notices linked to above. All comments received will be posted on the FTC’s Public Comments page

I believe we are 12 month late to discuss this matter. There must be a decision put out by now.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerclaw View Post
    We are the "slap back" lol

I don't coddle. I provide excellent customer service, but we're not hired or licensed to coddle. "Doctor is God" may be an offensive notion to patients, but "Customer is King" is for mattress salesmen and leads to us ending up holding the bag. The trick is balancing so yes, needs are met, but that we don't become the commodified doormats to a population increasingly confused to the meaning of the word "deserve" and their entitlement mentalities. Those aren't the people petitioning Congress for changes - it's the corporations that we took in like Mogwais and now the Gremlins have taken over. THAT is where we need to fight.
    May have been a dead thread, but it's not a dead issue. There's a certain [soon-to-be] Senate Minority Leader with strong opinions on this subject whose prospects of another friendly administration next year aren't insignificant. Both major presidential candidates have strong ties to his home state, and fools in both major political parties may be plentiful enough to grease something like a 'Rx-PD mandate' through.

So the debate is 'minimal health care standards' versus the retort of 'Optometry is insincerely overstating the public health risks of DIY specs.'

Will Optometry win that debate in the arena that matters?

The NIH was mentioned early in the thread. Is there some way to engineer clinical studies proving our point? Can docs at least document the anecdotes of DIYs they end up treating? I wonder if the AOA can mobilize some persuasive science to cut through popular default economic skepticism and Win The Argument.
    Last edited by Hayde; 08-19-2016 at 10:28 AM. Reason: clarification and spelling

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    I believe we are 12 month late to discuss this matter. There must be a decision put out by now.
    my remark was in response that the last comment made on this thread was back in November. Well aware the window for comments to the FTC has passed by

And expecting an answer almost a year later from the FTC and government is foolish. Have you seen the people running things? Not exactly ones to get things done in a timely manner

Thread Information