Thread: Which celebrities would be a pain to work with?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile Which celebrities would be a pain to work with?

For some reason, earlier today, I thought about having an optical in a high end neighborhood (i.e. Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Manhattan etc.) and got to thinking which celebrities would be problem patients? Like, would Bono come in complaining that his tint isn't dark enough? Or maybe Sarah Palin keeps breaking her Silhouettes? Who do you think would be a problem patient?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've heard stories from someone's friend who works in a Beverly Hills optical. Story goes that most of the "stars" don't even come in. Their stylist just comes in and picks out the glasses and you guess at seg ht (Pd is provided from the stylist...I suppose from the OD). Pt never comes in. No adjustments. It is all handled by the stylist. Odd. I personally think they would almost all be difficult to work with.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    The same holds true for professional athletes

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I'd develop very thick skin, very quickly if dealing with SAG insurance.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I used to work on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, and we had celebrities coming in all the time, in person, no big deal. To LensCrafters, for crying out loud.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have fitted (eyeglasses and CLs): Dr. J, George Gervin, Dave Twardzik, Al Bianchi and his wife whose name escapes me, Wolf Blitzer, Alma Powell, some of the Mars candy family along with assorted Navy Admirals. No problems that I can remember. Wolf felt compelled to remind me that he was on TV.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I once fit one of the princes of Saudi Arabia...he had a unibrow... and a large body guard.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I adjusted sunglasses for Jimmy Hart "The Mouth Of The South" around 1989. He was in town for a wrestling event. The "Honky Tonk Man" was with him. Jimmy was very nice and calm, unlike his wrestling persona.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I enjoy hearing everyone's stories about celebrities. I think the only "famous" person I ran in to while dispensing glasses was C.J. Wilson (Oakland Raiders) when he picked his glasses up for his little brother a few years ago.
    Last edited by colem84; 09-02-2015 at 12:47 PM. Reason: wrong NFL team

Occupation
    Many years ago, a colleague who shall remain nameless had a very famous politician and his entourage who shall remain nameless come into his office and demand an immediate eye exam and glasses. My good friend, not at all impressed by the "do you know who I am" attitude threw him out of his office.

Coincidently, his Federal Tax Returns were audited for the next five years.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by colem84 View Post
    For some reason, earlier today, I thought about having an optical in a high end neighborhood (i.e. Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Manhattan etc.) and got to thinking which celebrities would be problem patients? Like, would Bono come in complaining that his tint isn't dark enough? Or maybe Sarah Palin keeps breaking her Silhouettes? Who do you think would be a problem patient?
    HST would've have been a touchy sale, unless it was consummated with a bottle of Turkey and some pills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrOhvSvKIhc
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've helped some of the players from the Steelers and Penguins before. Never had a bad experience with any of them. Although there was one situation where I had to politely tell the wife of one of the Steelers that I was unfortunately unable to help him out.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I helped a pro hockey player once. Forget his name...anyway... he wanted a large black zyl frame with plano lenses in it. I remember him paying a few hundred for just a pair with plano poly. Weird. Great looking guy....but weird.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Years ago, we had a former boxer come in. It was just after a movie came out about him. Knowing that he was a big practical joker, when he sat down, we said, " you look just like...Will Smith!" He gave a big grin and started air boxing at the table! Best celebrity ever!
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper this was the largest tip I ever made in my life time.

He never came to the store, in Lausanne Switzerland I worked in as a very young optician in the first half of the 1950s. He was then the richest man in the world.

His secretary brought in the glasses for repairs several times and when done I had to bring them to the Palace Hotel in Lausanne Switzerland. I made some adjustments and gave him the bill. He waved at the secretary and said pay him. I got handed a 100 Frank bill for the charge of 10 Franks for which of course I had no change.

The Aga just waved his hands and just said "keep the balance" as a tip.

I will never forget this, as this was the largest tip I ever made in my life time.

( He used to get weighed in the home country and received his weight in gold)

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by icmor View Post
    Years ago, we had a former boxer come in. It was just after a movie came out about him. Knowing that he was a big practical joker, when he sat down, we said, " you look just like...Will Smith!" He gave a big grin and started air boxing at the table! Best celebrity ever!
    You sold glasses to Muhammad Ali?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yep, non Rx sunglasses. He still owns a home locally, but has been trying to sell it for years. I heard he's in AZ now.
    Quote Originally Posted by colem84 View Post
    You sold glasses to Muhammad Ali?
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Thread Information