Thread: Autolensometry

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Autolensometry

We have been demoing a Visionix VX40 and are not completely sold on the accuracy and consistency. That said, analyses of the lens and the true automation of the process is wonderful. We are trying to find competition to the vx40 to do a comparison. Does anyone know of another truly fully automatic lensometer? We don't use the instrument for final check in, but it has been handy with pre testing POF eyewear / initial check in and quickly screening walk-in eyewear.

Still debating if the premium is worth is for the automation, but the zero learning curve is wonderful. If we decide to go this route I just want to make sure I am getting the best option for our wants.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Huvitz 7000 is accurate and best value, IMHO.

Barry

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nidek/Marco are great but not a value brand. I would test a few at the same time to see what will work best for the money.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstanfast View Post
    We have been demoing a Visionix VX40 and are not completely sold on the accuracy and consistency. That said, analyses of the lens and the true automation of the process is wonderful. We are trying to find competition to the vx40 to do a comparison. Does anyone know of another truly fully automatic lensometer? We don't use the instrument for final check in, but it has been handy with pre testing POF eyewear / initial check in and quickly screening walk-in eyewear.

Still debating if the premium is worth is for the automation, but the zero learning curve is wonderful. If we decide to go this route I just want to make sure I am getting the best option for our wants.
    You just got to love that "wonderful zero learning curve."

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker:512233

Not true. Here in the land of fruits and nuts, some autolensometer operators (posing as techs or donning Optician titles) do not even know what a progressive lens is, and therefore, still consistently record any data they see, blissfully oblivious to such useless technical blather.

Why should they care? It's not required.

Love my beat up B&L 70.

• aBBerated

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by abberated View Post
    Not true. Here in the land of fruits and nuts, some autolensometer operators (posing as techs or donning Optician titles) do not even know what a progressive lens is, and therefore, still consistently record any data they see, blissfully oblivious to such useless technical blather.

Why should they care? It's not required.

Love my beat up B&L 70.
    True. One of the main reasons I see newer ODs getting adds too weak is that they accept incorrect autolensmeter readings from their untrained techs. Tech reads the progressive in the wrong place, and determines that a +2.50 add is +1.75. Tech gives that to a new OD, and the OD bumps it to +2.00, and figures that's good. Remake!
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have seen this unit in action and know some folks that have purchased several of them and they are all happy and highly recommend them. It is easier and quicker to use then the others and is more accurate more often. None of them are perfect all the time but this is a great unit and way ahead of the others. Well worth the investment as it really does minimze the opportunity for error from the staff and wasted time.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does anyone know of a good auto lensometer. We currently use a Topcon Cl-100. It is ok, but I know there is more out there. Anyone have GREAT experience with another one?

Jr.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Visionix 40

How have you liked the Visionix? What did you finally go with? We are thinking of the same thing and any help and related thoughts are appreciated.

John

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I just bought the VX40 for my staff and it has been great. Accurate, consistent and zero learning curve.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper You just got to love that "wonderful zero learning ...............................

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post

There were times when we had to learn to process glass lenses by neutralizing the power, cutting them with the diamond cutter and chipping them to size and shape with a a chipping plier, as well as hand edging them on a stone wheel.

Those were the days when we learned a trade from ground up.

I guess that more and more anybody can become a full fledged optician by being computer savvy and learn to press the right button.

All this will eventually play into the hands of the online sellers
    who will be able to supply good quality work at much lower prices.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pass, I've got too much confidence in what I can see. Love the B&L workhorse and I keep a Nikon plugged in for stronger rx's.

Thread Information