Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Autolensometry

  1. #1
    OptiBoard Professional
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Columbia
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    126

    Autolensometry

    We have been demoing a Visionix VX40 and are not completely sold on the accuracy and consistency. That said, analyses of the lens and the true automation of the process is wonderful. We are trying to find competition to the vx40 to do a comparison. Does anyone know of another truly fully automatic lensometer? We don't use the instrument for final check in, but it has been handy with pre testing POF eyewear / initial check in and quickly screening walk-in eyewear.

    Still debating if the premium is worth is for the automation, but the zero learning curve is wonderful. If we decide to go this route I just want to make sure I am getting the best option for our wants.

  2. #2
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Seaford, NY USA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    5,788
    Huvitz 7000 is accurate and best value, IMHO.

    Barry

  3. #3
    Bad address email on file
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    2,175
    Nidek/Marco are great but not a value brand. I would test a few at the same time to see what will work best for the money.

  4. #4
    Master OptiBoarder rbaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Gold Hill, OR
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    4,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstanfast View Post
    We have been demoing a Visionix VX40 and are not completely sold on the accuracy and consistency. That said, analyses of the lens and the true automation of the process is wonderful. We are trying to find competition to the vx40 to do a comparison. Does anyone know of another truly fully automatic lensometer? We don't use the instrument for final check in, but it has been handy with pre testing POF eyewear / initial check in and quickly screening walk-in eyewear.

    Still debating if the premium is worth is for the automation, but the zero learning curve is wonderful. If we decide to go this route I just want to make sure I am getting the best option for our wants.
    You just got to love that "wonderful zero learning curve."

  5. #5
    OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker:512233
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstanfast View Post
    We have been demoing a Visionix VX40 and are not completely sold on the accuracy and consistency. That said, analyses of the lens and the true automation of the process is wonderful. We are trying to find competition to the vx40 to do a comparison. Does anyone know of another truly fully automatic lensometer? We don't use the instrument for final check in, but it has been handy with pre testing POF eyewear / initial check in and quickly screening walk-in eyewear.

    Still debating if the premium is worth is for the automation, but the zero learning curve is wonderful. If we decide to go this route I just want to make sure I am getting the best option for our wants.
    You just got to love that "wonderful zero learning curve."
    Not true. Here in the land of fruits and nuts, some autolensometer operators (posing as techs or donning Optician titles) do not even know what a progressive lens is, and therefore, still consistently record any data they see, blissfully oblivious to such useless technical blather.

    Why should they care? It's not required.

    Love my beat up B&L 70.

    • aBBerated

  6. #6
    OptiGeek Wes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    3,177
    Quote Originally Posted by abberated View Post
    Not true. Here in the land of fruits and nuts, some autolensometer operators (posing as techs or donning Optician titles) do not even know what a progressive lens is, and therefore, still consistently record any data they see, blissfully oblivious to such useless technical blather.

    Why should they care? It's not required.

    Love my beat up B&L 70.
    True. One of the main reasons I see newer ODs getting adds too weak is that they accept incorrect autolensmeter readings from their untrained techs. Tech reads the progressive in the wrong place, and determines that a +2.50 add is +1.75. Tech gives that to a new OD, and the OD bumps it to +2.00, and figures that's good. Remake!

  7. #7
    OptiBoard Novice
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New York
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    2
    I have seen this unit in action and know some folks that have purchased several of them and they are all happy and highly recommend them. It is easier and quicker to use then the others and is more accurate more often. None of them are perfect all the time but this is a great unit and way ahead of the others. Well worth the investment as it really does minimze the opportunity for error from the staff and wasted time.

  8. #8
    Bad address email on file
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Sacramento
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    3
    Does anyone know of a good auto lensometer. We currently use a Topcon Cl-100. It is ok, but I know there is more out there. Anyone have GREAT experience with another one?

    Jr.

  9. #9
    Bad address email on file
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Sacramento
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    3

    Visionix 40

    How have you liked the Visionix? What did you finally go with? We are thinking of the same thing and any help and related thoughts are appreciated.

    John


    Quote Originally Posted by Jstanfast View Post
    We have been demoing a Visionix VX40 and are not completely sold on the accuracy and consistency. That said, analyses of the lens and the true automation of the process is wonderful. We are trying to find competition to the vx40 to do a comparison. Does anyone know of another truly fully automatic lensometer? We don't use the instrument for final check in, but it has been handy with pre testing POF eyewear / initial check in and quickly screening walk-in eyewear.

    Still debating if the premium is worth is for the automation, but the zero learning curve is wonderful. If we decide to go this route I just want to make sure I am getting the best option for our wants.

  10. #10
    OptiBoard Novice
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Summit, NJ
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    6
    I just bought the VX40 for my staff and it has been great. Accurate, consistent and zero learning curve.

  11. #11
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    in Naples FL for the Winter months
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    23,240

    Blue Jumper You just got to love that "wonderful zero learning ...............................

    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post

    You just got to love that "wonderful zero learning curve."

    There were times when we had to learn to process glass lenses by neutralizing the power, cutting them with the diamond cutter and chipping them to size and shape with a a chipping plier, as well as hand edging them on a stone wheel.

    Those were the days when we learned a trade from ground up.

    I guess that more and more anybody can become a full fledged optician by being computer savvy and learn to press the right button.

    All this will eventually play into the hands of the online sellers
    who will be able to supply good quality work at much lower prices.
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  12. #12
    OptiBoardaholic
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    West Scranton, Pa
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    299
    Pass, I've got too much confidence in what I can see. Love the B&L workhorse and I keep a Nikon plugged in for stronger rx's.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OptiBoard is proudly sponsored by:
Younger Optics and Vision Equipment