Thread: LE 9000 tracer problem

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

LE 9000 tracer problem

I have an LE 9000 edger. Santinelli - The tracer has been inconsistent lately, and has to be constantly recalibrated to avoid messing up jobs. Does anyone have a fix for this? Is it a common problem? Thanks in advance for any advice....

Rick Stevens, Flagler Beach, Florida

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Inconsistent how? Is it just losing size calibration by more than .10 or are the stylus's getting caught and giving bad shapes?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    The stylus position changes little by little so that I can see the position change between jobs. At that point, sometimes the machine traces too large, sometimes too small. When I trace the squares, sometimes they're off too large, sometimes too small, usually outside the .5 tolerance.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Now that you mention it, when the stylus traces the squares, if the figures are off significantly, the square shape in the window is ragged and uneven, for what that's worth. Does that mean the stylus is getting caught on something?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by costafreak View Post
    Now that you mention it, when the stylus traces the squares, if the figures are off significantly, the square shape in the window is ragged and uneven, for what that's worth. Does that mean the stylus is getting caught on something?
    Yes. These tracers are awesome, but a little temperamental, I had a period last month (even made a thread) where I thought I was going to have to send mine in for serious maintenance. It worked itself out and now is back to tracing like nothing happened. It sounds like you have a build up of dust in the tracer. I would do 2 things.

1: Make sure the the stylus for rimmed frames is not turned off kilter. Reach in and gently turn the stylus left and right. Should easily move both ways, and if pushed beyond the point of resistance it should move a bit further. Make sure it's degree of rotation is equal both left and right. If it only turns a little to one side and more to the other, turn it a bit past the resistance point until it easily moves back and forth equidistant from the 90 degree point of the horizontal plane. This can get out of wack and will definitely give a few .01s off your trace, and also will lead to slipping out of metal frames.

2. Run a "Tension Calibration" Turn off the unit and turn it back on while holding the R and L buttons on the tracer, the trace button will begin to blink - press it. This will run a tension calibration, a by product of which is it shakes off dust and stuff from the gears and springs on the inside. It really works. I've had days where I had to run it 3 times, and months where I forget I ever had to do it. This will most likely solve your problem. Make sure to seperate the jaws of the tracer also so the stylus has room to pop around and shake.

I hope this helps!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Tension calibration was the whole deal, it seems. Awesome assistance!! Thank you so much. Wish I could somehow return the favor...

Thread Information