Thread: Looking for Optical Mentors/Friends

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie Looking for Optical Mentors/Friends

After 20 years of being a Licensed Optician I still feel like I don't know as much as I should. When I apprenticed years ago the other Opticians and even the doctor showed me everything that they knew but after that first job no one took me aside to teach me anything else. Well, I can't say no one but it was very little and not very often. After you take the ABO and have your license its full speed ahead and there isn't time or the money for someone to teach you anything else. There may be the lucky few who had awesome coworkers or Optometrists that realized the value in educating their staff but otherwise you are at a job where you expected to sell as many pairs as you can and there just isn't time for learning. So, because there is this great thing called the internet now and this cool Optiboard forum I thought I would ask if there is anyone else out there like me and if there are people willing to answer questions that other Opticians would probably consider stupid or may be even shocked that I don't know the answer to after all these years. I haven't been working non stop for 20 years. There have been a few full-time jobs in the beginning and then when my daughter was born several part-time jobs. Its hard to decide whether or not to work once you have children but that's another topic. Maybe there is a thread I am not seeing like one for newbies or apprentices where I could find answers to my questions. If there is let me know! I just really want to learn more and be good at what I do. That's it... Hope someone can help. :-) Thanks!

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome to Optiboard swintime. Nothing wrong with wanting to learn more. You might surprise yourself with what you have learned over the last 20 years as well. Wes has pointed you in a great direction. Start there, and don't be afraid to ask, you might get nipped every once in a while by some of the geezers here, but most are ready to help. There are a few really good "teachers" on here, with a wealth of knowledge.

Good luck in your studies.

Thread Information