Thread: so the new comfort w2+ is a V corridor only?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

so the new comfort w2+ is a V corridor only?

I had our lowest lens as the physio drx, but the lab rep said the w2 is a better lens... ok lets give it a go...
    well I just found out that its not offered in a fixed corridor, and it just irritates me that essilor seem to be going all in on this retarded design.
    big frames are selling and this does not work on ~21 and up segs for me.

we sell mainly essilor but they are making it awefull hard to keep doing it.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    i agree their roll out was horrible.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    is the physio w3+ also variable corridor??

i believe the plus sign in the names is the secret message giving us +1 more reason to avoid the E

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why does the variable corridor bother you so much? Not trying to poke the hornets nest here...just honestly wondering why so against it in every case? Essilor is neither the first, nor only company of any size to use this design in their lenses...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    NO conventional progressive was ever variable corridor. They were fixed, and only short designs entered when B's went small.

The whole premise of variable corridor is reeedoculous, as the main element of utility satisfaction is corridor length.

B

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    The whole premise of variable corridor is reeedoculous, as the main element of utility satisfaction is corridor length.

B
    Hear, hear! The software only knows what's best for the frame, not what's best for the wearer, and is the primary reason I rarely used variable corridor designs. Fortunately, some PAL manufacturers make PALs that allow the optician to choose from a variety of corridor power profiles, overriding a too long (typical) or too short of a corridor for the needs of the individual client.

Note to the prescribers: please do not bump the add power for wearers of PALs, if they has healthy eyes, when they complain of poor near vision. The disadvantage of this approach is that the wearer will now be looking through the corridor instead of the near zone on the downgaze at 40cm, an area of the lens that is dynamic in power with a very narrow zone width. Moreover, the increase in add power narrows most if not all of the zone widths, with increased levels of aberrations overall.

Instead, instruct the optician (when instruction is needed) to select on a PAL design that has a near vision bias, and/or recommend a separate pair task eyeglasses.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why does it bother me? Well when they say (zeiss for ex.) it for seg heights of 11-35mm ... lol who needs reading that low?? Certain times I like the variables when I am getting like a 15-18 seg... its better than jumping to a short to save the read. So if I have a pt in a 17mm, and go to a short (14mm) Im taking 3mm of corridor away, along with other issues that Robert mentioned. They really need to "limit" the corridor length to 15 maybe 17. I like the SHamir Auto 3 fixed's for this.... anytime i get a seg of 21 or more I goto the auto3 15.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Why does it bother me? Well when they say (zeiss for ex.) it for seg heights of 11-35mm ... lol who needs reading that low?? Certain times I like the variables when I am getting like a 15-18 seg... its better than jumping to a short to save the read. So if I have a pt in a 17mm, and go to a short (14mm) Im taking 3mm of corridor away, along with other issues that Robert mentioned. They really need to "limit" the corridor length to 15 maybe 17. I like the SHamir Auto 3 fixed's for this.... anytime i get a seg of 21 or more I goto the auto3 15.
    What if they were wanting a larger intermediate zone? I like to have the optionto pick the corridor as well. I try to stay about 2mm below the seg ht but never use more than an 18 fixed.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had our lowest lens as the physio drx, but the lab rep said the w2 is a better lens... ok lets give it a go...
    well I just found out that its not offered in a fixed corridor, and it just irritates me that essilor seem to be going all in on this retarded design.

Please note: I do not use essilor/varilux branded lenses on a regular basis (maybe once or twice a year on a very specific safety contract)

Variable corridor designs are highly effective when combined with the appropriate and necessary information. However, there are limits to lens design based on patents. As an optician, we are obligated to sell what is best for our patients visual needs. Except that we don't, because often the patient will say "oh I don't need that." By choosing a particular manufacturer, you are also buying in to their business and design philosophy. To say that Essilor has a new lens that makes it hard to do business with them is simply false, because all of their lenses follow very specific design philosophy and calculation based on the technology available to them.

If you are unsuccessfully fitting patients with a new lens from the same manufacturer, then most likely your philosophy is not meshing with the philosophy of your manufacturer of choice. If you are unsure of the philosophy of your manufacturer, then ask. Essilor may not care what the distance is to the object being read because they don't intend to incorporate that data in to their lens design because they have a long history of stretching the corridor in an effort to minimize peripheral distortion. This seems like an annoying issue, but if your doctor has also been dealing with the lenses for a long time, then they are probably already in the habit of "bumping the add."

If you change manufacturers and start having issues, then it may be because the add is still being "bumped" when the new manufacturers philosophy/design technology do not call for that, or perhaps different fitting "tricks" were used that don't apply to that manufacturers design philosophy.

Fixed FF corridors were created to simply allow you to override the manufacturers philosophy and technology to allow their lens to be more competitive with more advanced designs on the market. This happened to create an added benefit when dealing with a-typical or non-average wearers, because you could customize the fit to their unusual needs. The most advanced lens design on the market by the most advanced lens manufacturer provides a variable corridor that can still yet be controlled based on the specific fitting values of the patient. It is Individualized 2 the specific patient.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

If you are selling big E product, I can't think of a company with a larger PAL inventory. Get acquainted with all their product. I believe that they are partnered with several other lens companies but Shamir Insight is the only one that comes to mind. Ask your lab or get in touch with E about other product available to you.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Thread Information