Thread: Do Nike ophthalmics sell well?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Do Nike ophthalmics sell well?

My rep wanted to place 10 units in my stock today and says they're the cat's meow. These are not Nike suns or Nike Flexon Suns, they're regular Nike Flexon opthalmics with clear demo lenses for standard Rx fabrication. They retail around $225 each and that's a bit high for our local market.

I'm just curious if the industry has really embraced them to a high degree. Can anyone offer me their experience regarding Nike opthalmic's success/failure in your shop?

Thanks.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They're okay but don't sell any better than other Flexon frames.

Jerry

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nike Opthalmics are hot in both of our stores. Women and children seem to like the kid's and teen's frames and the adult ovals. Men seem to like the deeper rectangles. The only Nikes that haven't sold through well are the severe geometrics, the drill mounts and the semi-rimless.

There is one issue we keep running into - frequent backorders of the most popular styles and colors and clip-on backorders.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    icare, I put them in last year. sight unseen. mistake! good idea.. Nike a great "name", Flexon great seller; one problem, no 2 problems, first, the nose pad arms were too short to adjust, at sll, and the temples only went straight back with zero bend over the ear. so, how were they supposed to stay on a face, maybe in a regular metal, but not in Flexon...oh well, live and learn. hope they do, likely not, they say like, well, NOBODY else is have those problems; selling something is one thing, servicing it isn't the same thing! btw, you don't have to sell it for $225.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We've gotten only good feedback from the folks wearing Nike frames we have sold. The only time we had a problem was when some of the men's frames came with nosepad arms that were mounted like the Shiloutte pad arms, soldered at the bridge instead of the eyewire.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thank you, all, for your genuine comments. This helps me a great deal.

Any others?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We had about a dozen of them. They were a tough sell, and were even thougher to adjust. Regular Flexons sell through much easier.

A side note: We had to post a sign that the NIKE frames were not to be used for sports because many jocks (and their parents) thought that since they were"NIKE", they were for athletics. I even have them sign on the "dress eyewear only" line at the time of dispensing. We did the same thing when there was a "NBA" frame line.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    I can't seem to keep enough Nikes in stock, especially the 4006 and 4007. They sell through in days. Of course it helps that I'm wearing one.

The occipital temples hold incredibly well.

I find them no harder to adjust than any other Flexon, and the comfort can't be beat.

Between Nike and Minimal Arts this camper is happy.
    Dan

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I do very well with the rimless Nike for men.

My area is middle of the road, and guys that don't want a little metal love the rimless and love the twisty. Guys in general buy little, but buy what they like and aren't as concerned about the price if they perceive it as a good value.

Harry

Bad address email on file dfisher's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The Nike line works well for us. No problems with adjustments or breakage. With the clip-on we sell them for $320, a respectible price for and adult frame. Not bad for a child's frame, either!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do not have direct personal experience with Nike Flexon, but with Flexon frames in general ..... I have not had good experiences with. Great marketing scheme and technology, but not always practical for eyeglass frames!

Adjusting vs. flexibility. Very flexible, but doesn't stay where you need to put it! Very simple - it fits or it doesn't fit. I would rather have something I can work with. And that is my opinion.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Traci said:
    Adjusting vs. flexibility. Very flexible, but doesn't stay where you need to put it! Very simple - it fits or it doesn't fit.
    I am not sure if everyone knows this, but Flexon frames are adjusted a little differently from regular metals. Because they are made of combination of Titanium and plasticizers they require a little bit of heat to do anything with face form and any other adjustments that aren't made from a solder point.

Flexon frames are also not indestructable. They put up with tough wear as long as they are bent in the direction of their chemical matrix (for the front this is forward and backward for the temples this is inward and outward when open.)

Ask your Flexon rep for adjusting tips - if they know their product they should be able to help you out a great deal with working with the product.

Thread Information