Thread: As you get older...

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

As you get older...

You accumulate doctors.

When I was 20, I had two doctors, my GP and my OD.
    When I was 40, it was the GP, the OD, the orthopedic surgeon, and the urologist.
    Now that I'm 60, I have a GP, an MDO, same orthopod, same urologist, a nephrologist, a neurosurgeon, and a pain management MD.

My dad's 85 and has a cardiologist on top of those.

My cellphone has an app for ICE (In Case of Emergency) with all my emergency contacts. I also carry a current copy of all my prescriptions on a written list in my wallet.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I hear you, brother. My wife and I are both 75 and we seldom have a day without an appointment with one quack or another. At least, here in the USA we don't have to wait 16 years for a referral like our poor Canadian friends (with the exception of the poor souls in the VA system.)

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Around 1980 I had an EMT certification and knew friends who worked for ambulance companies. That list of meds in your wallet can be lifesaving as it's critical to know what's in your blood before further intervention is taken. In another generation or so EMR's will make this info more readily available but until then carry that list!

PS- One friend always wanted to own a motorcycle...Until he became an ambulance driver!!!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    PS- One friend always wanted to own a motorcycle...Until he became an ambulance driver!!!
    I thought the same way until I became a nurse

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mike, add that cardiologist to my mix really soon. At 45, major heart attack, at 60 now also, doing fine, lucky. Moved to the beach to reduce my stress level, but fall back in from time to time. Pull myself back the best I can from the dammed type A personality.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    You accumulate doctors.

When I was 20, I had two doctors, my GP and my OD.
    When I was 40, it was the GP, the OD, the orthopedic surgeon, and the urologist.
    Now that I'm 60, I have a GP, an MDO, same orthopod, same urologist, a nephrologist, a neurosurgeon, and a pain management MD.

My dad's 85 and has a cardiologist on top of those.

My cellphone has an app for ICE (In Case of Emergency) with all my emergency contacts. I also carry a current copy of all my prescriptions on a written list in my wallet.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I'm going in for my annual next month, I'm sort of dreading it LOL

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Around 1980 I had an EMT certification and knew friends who worked for ambulance companies. That list of meds in your wallet can be lifesaving as it's critical to know what's in your blood before further intervention is taken. In another generation or so EMR's will make this info more readily available but until then carry that list!

When I was an EMT, we used to say that if the number of meds was greater than the number of letters in their last name, it was going to be a bad call.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    I'm going in for my annual next month, I'm sort of dreading it LOL
    Most of my posse these days are between 70 and 95 years old and you don't usually live to this age by being stupid. We all welcome our visits with all of the assorted quacks that we encounter as we get "older and wiser." So many of the life threatening and life debilitating medical conditions are easily diagnosed and in many cases treatable these days. My diabetes is well under control. My Hypercholesterolemia is well managed and I no longer hear those pesky voices in my head.

Go willingly to your appointment and be grateful that you have the medical advances that your grandfathers were lacking. Cripes, they all tipped over at 52.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I should have said "I'm dreading the usual chewing out I get about my weight", but you're right.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper It was from one day to the next

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post

I hear you, brother. My wife and I are both 75 and we seldom have a day without an appointment with one quack or another. At least, here in the USA we don't have to wait 16 years for a referral like our poor Canadian friends (with the exception of the poor souls in the VA system.)
    from a poor Canadian ............

This time of the year, five years ago I had an Angiogram done, and when I was waking up i heard the doctor shout "this guy is no f..... good, he
    is is going to need a quintuple by-pass.

I got rolled back to the room and my cardiologist came visiting and said tomorrow is the start of the jewish holidays and we have some cancellations, would you like to have it done tomorrow morning at 8. I said ok lets do it.
    All afternoon and evening I had to run around the hospital for tests.

It ended up being a double by-pass fix. The following day at 1 in the afternoon I was starting my recuperation all wired up among some other recently done patients.

So i I did not wait sixteen years. It was from one day to the next without being an emergency, for open heart surgery.

2 month ago my Cardiologist said "maybe we should put in a pacemaker, let me talk to one of the surgeons. 2 weeks later I got a call from the hospital giving me an appointment another 2 weeks later. I walked in at that date at 930 am got done an hour later and walked out by 12.30 all fixed up with an installed pacemaker.

By the way I never had to pay one cent for anything.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

By the way I never had to pay one cent for anything.
    Well you actually did. Canadians are willing to tax themselves and run a single payer system to provide these services.

I know I'm on thin ice here but I don't understand why independent opticals especially don't advocate for a single payer system to unwind the eyeglass part of the plan from refraction and medical services.

Occupation

Well you actually did. Canadians are willing to tax themselves and run a single payer system to provide these services.

Yes you are correct, we do pay through the tax system. However many do wait for month's to get treated.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post

Go willingly to your appointment and be grateful that you have the medical advances that your grandfathers were lacking. Cripes, they all tipped over at 52.
    How true Dick. Four days after my post on here, I was not feeling well. Some chest discomfort and that dreaded pain down the arm you never forget. My first heart attack 16 years ago, I was in denial right to the end, bad move. This time, off to er, no heart attack, just very screwed up results, so more tests. Angiogram set for Monday, lay and wait for now, no options on a weekend. In the middle of the cath, he shows me the tv screen, and says your a ticking time bomb, need bypass now. Not what you want to hear.

A few more complications health wise, and surgery finally set for Sept 8th. A triple bypass,(not that the number matters), just the fact that they cracked my chest open to do it. I'm not a big guy, about 160lbs, and in fairly decent shape, so I left the hospital on the 3rd day(not normal there), just needed to get home after 14 days between 2 hospitals.

A big thanks to all the staff and Docs at Norfolk Sentara Heart Hospital, one of the finest.

Now about 6 weeks out, still hurt big time, as I'm sure Chris can attest to, but doing OK. I don't recommend trying this, it's not fun. See the symptoms, do something. I dodged my second bullet in my life, and during the angio, the cardiologist said I would have never made it to the hospital if I had the full heart attack, not a nice thought.
    Last edited by obxeyeguy; 10-20-2015 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Add ty

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Heal well and take it easy when you can. It is not easy to heal from getting cut open as you know.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Glad you are doing well after that surgery! Hope your recovery continues to be uneventful.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation

Blue Jumper I could never sleep sitting up, but now I can

Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post

Now about 6 weeks out, still hurt big time, as I'm sure Chris can attest to, but doing OK. I don't recommend trying this, it's not fun. See the symptoms, do something. I dodged my second bullet in my life, and during the angio, the cardiologist said I would have never made it to the hospital if I had the full heart attack, not a nice thought.
    I am glad you made it. I also found out that it changes the whole life style.

I could never sleep sitting up, but now I can, I have learned the hard way.
    I can go to bed the normal way, but wake up a few hours later and have to sit on the edge of the bed for 5 to 10 minutes. It all repeats itself. So I started to get upstairs to my home office and start working on some things. When I get tired I can now lean back and have some sleep for a few hours.

Every time we have something serious we have to adapt with what is left from normal times. I already learned 24 years ago, that the operation was successful, but I was going to dye within the next 5 to 8 month because the upper intestine was perforated and had leaked the cancerous cells all over the intestinal cavity. I am still under observation all these years because I am apparently the only survivor world wide, and they claim that it was due to pure will power and not medical art.

Just find out what is best for you and do it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How true Dick. Four days after my post on here, I was not feeling well. Some chest discomfort and that dreaded pain down the arm you never forget. My first heart attack 16 years ago, I was in denial right to the end, bad move. This time, off to er, no heart attack, just very screwed up results, so more tests. Angiogram set for Monday, lay and wait for now, no options on a weekend. In the middle of the cath, he shows me the tv screen, and says your a ticking time bomb, need bypass now. Not what you want to hear.

A few more complications health wise, and surgery finally set for Sept 8th. A triple bypass,(not that the number matters), just the fact that they cracked my chest open to do it. I'm not a big guy, about 160lbs, and in fairly decent shape, so I left the hospital on the 3rd day(not normal there), just needed to get home after 14 days between 2 hospitals.

A big thanks to all the staff and Docs at Norfolk Sentara Heart Hospital, one of the finest.

Too many Vegas sight seeing trips? Wishing you a quick recovery my friend.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just a quick update. Now almost 10 weeks after surgery, getting much better. My energy is still sub par, but getting there. I did also loose my business, as my business partner managed to lock me out, too much time off. Letting the lawyer deal with it. I am moving on into trying some temp work, as I feel I can be very helpful to a lot of practices. See my ad in the job board.

Forty years, not done yet!

Occupation
    I had CABGX4 back in 1996. My cardiologist informed me that I was a lucky boy and had been given a second shot at life. I did not believe him at the time and a few days after getting back home I figured that my life would be that of an invalid and I sold my business after being made an indecent offer that I could not refuse. Nothing happens by accident and it turned out to be a blessing. Went to graduate school and started out on a new career. Never looked back.

Your post-op recovery will go slowly but as you have probably noticed getting better every day. I was amazed that30 days post-op I could get my heart rate up to 140 and have it return to 70 within five minutes. Prior to surgery it could take an hour or more for it to stabilize.

I try to take better care of my sorry **** these days, no Camels, no donuts, 2 rashers of bacon a week and I am faithful taking my meds. Coming up on 20 years and my cardiologist sees no problems.

Best wishes and welcome to the second half of a life second to none.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just a quick update. Now almost 10 weeks after surgery, getting much better. My energy is still sub par, but getting there. I did also loose my business, as my business partner managed to lock me out, too much time off. Letting the lawyer deal with it. I am moving on into trying some temp work, as I feel I can be very helpful to a lot of practices. See my ad in the job board.

Forty years, not done yet!

I am glad to see that you are getting better!

I am really bummed to hear of the work situation! I'll call sometime this week to catch up!

Thread Information