Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Optometry in 2035. Does it exist?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Dorval, a suburb of Montreal in a park like environment on Lake St.Louis.
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Look at the forecasts for 2050..................................

Look at the forecasts for 2050..................................

see at : https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/fate-...vitor-pamplona
    Chris Ryser

http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I got something in the mail today. My sense is that this "invite" has been mailed to all ODs and OMDs across Canada. Given their target audience, some general MDs may have been targeted as well.

E-eyecare
    https://www.e-eyecare.com/

It says it was launched on Aug 15, 2018. There isn't a lot of info in the packet that was mailed to me, so I visited the website, and from what I gather, it is a "telemedicine", remote-ophthalmology platform. It seems the idea is that any patients I need an OMD consult for (they claim an ability to manage glaucoma, cataract, cornea, neuro, and retina), I can send to them. Now as of today, not all the links on the website are working, so I only see various pictures and some title-headers, but my sense of the platform is as such: I'll have some internet-connected computer in my exam room. It'll have a camera. If I get a patient I need a consult for, I'll be able to do a face-time thing with a live ophthalmologist somewhere. He/she will be able to view what I see from my slit-lamp (so my slit-lamp will have a digital-camera as well). Because there is some sign-up involved, and they claim rapid access to my clinical charts, then for my computer to participate in their platform, it will have to download certain software and I will have to use "their" charts.

I have no idea if this will get off the ground. Is it futuristic? Yes. Is it conceivable that such a telemedicine platform can succeed? Yes. Is THIS particular group the one that will succeed in making such a telemedicine platform widespread? That I don't know. First, if they are going to announce a "launch" of their platform on Aug 15, and mail invites to professionals across the country, then they should at least ensure their website is up-to-date and working properly. The "Our Work", "Learn More", and "Join Us" links, and all links beginning halfway down the page aren't working. The "Medical Director", who signs the invite letter I got, a Dr. Mahta Rasouli, says in multiple online bios that she is the recipient of an "Outstanding Canadian Youth Medal". That particular bio is in several places online. When I Google "Outstanding Canadian Youth Medal" in order to see what it is, the only places on the web that reference such an award are links of the same biography. I think if you're going to feature a big award in a widely-circulated biographical profile, then you should at least get the name of it written correctly.

Anyways - just nitpicking some stuff. But if you're going to try to revolutionize eyecare, that will require a LOT of work, and a LOT has to be done right. If whoever is in charge isn't looking after little details like this, my sense is that there'll be another company that will.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Dorval, a suburb of Montreal in a park like environment on Lake St.Louis.
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper e-eyecare is an innovative software that brings ophthalmic care to the 21st century

e-eyecare is an innovative softwarethat brings ophthalmic care to the 21st century. This ophthalmology softwareconnects Referring optometrists/general medical practitioners orophthalmologists to other Consultant comprehensive/sub-specialized ophthalmologists,for further assessment and suggestions on diagnosis, treatment, and monitoring.

No names, no physical address ..................................

Looks like an idea that has no real backup at this stage, and they are looking for participants that will commit to the idea.

Will take some time to build up.
    Chris Ryser

http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    We all have to be careful of the proper definition of telemedicine (or telehealth). In it's true definition, a telemedicine encounter must meet very strict inter-active guidelines in order to be able to bill it to medicare, medicaid, and commercial insurance.

Virtually all of what is being sold over the internet is not telemedicine. It is opportunistic internet business. Oh,... they may say they are high quality, that they bring convenience to the patient, that they save money, that they are altruistic. Most of these vendors don't even accept insurance but are simply trying to get cash (credit card) payments. It may have a place. It may grow, or it may flop.

Thread Information