Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 35 of 35

Thread: Optometry in 2035. Does it exist?

  1. #26
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Bob & Doug's Place
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    ..............interesting discussion

    In the optical trade the merging main players have also played politics for a long time, by supporting professional associations as well as governments on many levels.

    We should be seeing major changes in all of our eyecare professions over the next few years.
    Chris, the professional associations are just as much to blame for this debacle by allowing it to happen for so many years and accepting bribe sponsorship money at the same time.

    Whether the associations knew it or not at the time, the sponsorship funds were more of a pay off to turn a blind eye and pave the road for the future to where we are today.

    Now the associations bit the hand that fed them, and tried to take them to court, which is even more ludicrous. The lawyers on both sides have to be laughing their asses off on this one - do I want my new yacht in white or beige?

  2. #27
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    new york
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    3,735
    Computers may replace manual objective and subjective refraction... in fact they already have. But deciding what to prescribe so that the patient will be happy with their Rx, and not come back complaining, has not yet been mastered by the AI people. In fact, it has not yet been mastered by many people holding licenses that allow them to refract.

  3. #28
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Canada
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    43

  4. #29
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dorval, a suburb of Montreal in a park like environment on Lake St.Louis.
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    22,122

    Redhot Jumper We all have time to put on our seatbelts before the rocking starts...................

    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post

    Whether the associations knew it or not at the time, the sponsorship funds were more of a pay off to turn a blind eye and pave the road for the future to where we are today.

    ..........................we are now 2 months before the fully accepted merger by the world wide authorities.

    We will be seeing a modernized version and situation, that we have already experienced in Canada for many years, by the near domination of the optical retail business by Imperial Optical.

    However most of today's professionals have only a very faint idea whatever happened then. Only this time it will be more complex and total as the preparation period has been very carefully planned into details in all sectors from manufacturing to retail over the last 15 years, or more.

    We all have time to put on our seatbelts before the rocking starts.
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  5. #30
    OptiBoard Apprentice McAnerin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    36
    I believe, that instead of discussing WHAT is coming in the near future, we should discuss how we best should EVOLVE to meet it. I've recently moved to a kiosk style optical in a mall, that pushes volume and affordable frames, w/ no optometrist at all. It's been very lucrative, while still giving people a personal experience. Changes are coming, and the winners are the ones that find out how to make it work for them. Unlike the big companies, we cant choose what the game is, but we can certainly have the best strategies for the new playing field.
    -Poly is the best substrate for coatings.
    -Poly is extremely scratch resistant.
    -Poly is extremely impact resistant.
    -Poly is unparalleled in clarity.
    -Poly is much lighter than traditional crown glass.
    Like poly, you can trust me about 40% of the time.

  6. #31
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dorval, a suburb of Montreal in a park like environment on Lake St.Louis.
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    22,122

    Redhot Jumper the winners are the ones that find out how to make it work for them.

    Quote Originally Posted by McAnerin View Post

    Changes are coming, and the winners are the ones that find out how to make it work for them. Unlike the big companies, we cant choose what the game is, but we can certainly have the best strategies for the new playing field.
    nice post on a different idea...........and it seems to work.
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  7. #32
    What's up? drk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    7,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    Chris, the professional associations are just as much to blame for this debacle by allowing it to happen for so many years and accepting bribe sponsorship money at the same time.

    Whether the associations knew it or not at the time, the sponsorship funds were more of a pay off to turn a blind eye and pave the road for the future to where we are today.

    Now the associations bit the hand that fed them, and tried to take them to court, which is even more ludicrous. The lawyers on both sides have to be laughing their asses off on this one - do I want my new yacht in white or beige?
    +1

  8. #33
    What's up? drk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    7,332
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    Computers may replace manual objective and subjective refraction... in fact they already have. But deciding what to prescribe so that the patient will be happy with their Rx, and not come back complaining, has not yet been mastered by the AI people. In fact, it has not yet been mastered by many people holding licenses that allow them to refract.
    FJP, you are of course correct.

    I think the best way to conceptualize it, however, is that you aren't going to get a machine to practice optometry.

    The difference in concept being, what "optometry" is.

    I know you're and old guy, and so am I. I've done this forever. The concept that was promulgated on the front end of the thread "at the core, optometry is just refracting" is way, way, way off the mark. We "solve eye problems". All damn day long.

    Nothing more, nothing less.

    I'm irritated when those outside the profession think of optometry that way, but they're ignoramuses. But for "optio" to say that makes me cry. Maybe she's a newbie?

  9. #34
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    new york
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    3,735
    You're right except for one thing.... I'm not old...lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    FJP, you are of course correct.

    I think the best way to conceptualize it, however, is that you aren't going to get a machine to practice optometry.

    The difference in concept being, what "optometry" is.

    I know you're and old guy, and so am I. I've done this forever. The concept that was promulgated on the front end of the thread "at the core, optometry is just refracting" is way, way, way off the mark. We "solve eye problems". All damn day long.

    Nothing more, nothing less.

    I'm irritated when those outside the profession think of optometry that way, but they're ignoramuses. But for "optio" to say that makes me cry. Maybe she's a newbie?

  10. #35
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dorval, a suburb of Montreal in a park like environment on Lake St.Louis.
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    22,122

    Blue Jumper So lets put on our seatbelts and be ready for some major changes.....................

    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post

    Computers may replace manual objective and subjective refraction... in fact they already have. But deciding what to prescribe so that the patient will be happy with their Rx, and not come back complaining, has not yet been mastered by the AI people. In fact, it has not yet been mastered by many people holding licenses that allow them to refract.

    I would just like to add that in many or all professions there are superb specialists and also some that are not and minimal.

    It is a fact that there are many brains, even being funded by major corporations that are working on simple and automatised solutions to measure the optical error of the human eye and neutralize it with a perfectly valid prescription.

    By the year 2035 all of you will be used to purchase glasses online and have them adjusted and serviced by an optical service outlet of the online seller, or a dispensing optician that has survived the change, and that adjustment or service will be against a fee.

    The first such change will most probably be introduced starting in the year 2018, when the LensCrafter stores will very probably, also become service centers for Essilux online owned opticals, of which there are now according to my own calculations at:
    http://optochemicals.com/web_listing.htm
    near the bottom of the page.
    Some twenty of them on a worldwide basis are Essilux owned.

    These corporation opened online opticals are for sure not turning out crappy quality as being owned by the opticals
    largest corporation, and lens and frame manufacturer and suppliers.

    So lets put on our seatbelts and be ready for some major changes.
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Does it exist?
    By Jstanfast in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-05-2015, 10:22 PM
  2. Optometry and Phoropters. Can one exist without the other?
    By LandLord in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-12-2010, 01:18 AM
  3. Does it exist?
    By scriptfiller in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-05-2010, 08:49 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OptiBoard is proudly sponsored by:
BC College of Optics, Younger Optics, Vision Equipment and Optitech USA