Thread: LASER Safety Eyewear

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist

LASER Safety Eyewear

In another thread, now closed by the management:

Robert Martellaro wrote:

I haven't seen the ANSI Z136.8 recommendations, but I wouldn't risk wearing laser safety eyewear that doesn't provide an adequate amount of peripheral protection.

Old, but relevant.

http://www.mdsr.ecri.org/summary/det...px?doc_id=8201

The above link was very informative and deserves a thorough read by anyone interested in LASER safety, especially in the operating room where powerful lasers are commonly used.

One quote from the above link reads:

Vision-Correcting LensesMany people believe that vision-correcting prescription eyeglasses are laser safe; however, they are not. Some will attenuate CO2 laser energy, but the frames and lens shape of most eyeglasses do not completely protect the eyes from all direct laser beams or reflected energy. Other laser wavelengths are not attenuated by vision-correcting prescription eyeglasses. Those who use only their prescription eyeglasses during laser surgery are risking an eye injury.

(emphasis added by me)

Another quote from that link provides almost humorous description of some of the dangers of REFLECTED LASER radiation in an modern eye operatory:

...Wet gauze or sponges taped over the eyes have also been used, but these must be kept wet to prevent accidental ignition of the material by laser energy. An adherent foil mask with padded eye areas is available, but is not recommended because the foil can reflect laser energy, creating other risks (e.g., ignition of drapes), ...

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    The last time I was in a LASER eye operatory, I didn't notice any drapes, but I don't think the scrubs everyone was wearing were fire proof...
    Last edited by Dr. Bill Stacy; 08-07-2015 at 06:17 PM. Reason: typos

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Oh wait, they were probably talking surgical field drapes, not window coverings. My bad...

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    One last observation about LASER safety, all MATTE surfaces reflect some laser energy. Certainly less than a shiny foil surface, but enough to do harm. Be careful with hand held LASER devices and KEEP THEM AWAY FROM KIDS.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Perhaps a subject best discussed by those actually use lasers in a medical environment and those who provide the appropriate PPE.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    What a great idea. Unfortunately I don't think there are many of those reading this forum. They would chime in if they were here.

BTW I have been in operatories where lasers were actually used, both as an observer (over 20 times) and as a patient (once).

Occupation
    Started using lasers when they first came out back in the early eighties for ALT's and ALC's and we were required to attend classroom and clinical training before the laser manufacturer would issue a license to use the equipment. Safety was the main concern. I am sure that most clinical and surgical users are still well trained and required to have PPE that meets the current safety standards.

in addition, our workers compensation and professional liability insurers require effective safeguards. Unless someone is using a medical laser in a dark alley in the dead of night I don't see much to be concerned with.

With the few, very few laser users who may lurk in the dark recesses of OptiBoard they are certainly going to go elsewhere for any discussion of this subject. Move along . . . nothing to see here! (pun intended.)

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Yes, they still do, and mercifully don't get their basic science education here.

But I'm not going anywhere, unless I get kicked off.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bill Stacy View Post

Yes, they still do, and mercifully don't get their basic science education here.

But I'm not going anywhere, unless I get kicked off.

Not to worry about that. As long as the conversation is kept in a decent language even if you do not share what is being said, there is no problem about having a different opinion.

Often if some posters who do not agree they try to steer the conversation into a totally different area.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    If anyone is confused about the discussions about reflected LASER light, watch this one minute video that proves laser radiation is reflected by ordinary spectacle lenses (and a lot of other materials):

https://youtu.be/1S72D4ijxqA
    Last edited by Dr. Bill Stacy; 08-08-2015 at 04:24 PM. Reason: removed erroneous video

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's important to note that laser safety eyewear, without a good light seal, can still provide some protection from a direct hit on the fovea, when the eyes are looking primarily straight ahead. However, I suspect a high power laser could still reflect off the backside of the eyeglass lens and burn the cornea.

I'm not an expert on LSE, but it seems to me that the need for peripheral protection, that is, goggles and wraps, depends on the laser power and usage.

https://books.google.com/books?id=xx...urgery&f=false
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Laser Eyeglasses.png  
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    **no longer relevant**
    Last edited by MikeAurelius; 08-09-2015 at 07:19 AM.

OptiBoard Professional Dustin.B's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am intrigued by this, as I know a number of people who posses higher powered lasers from companies like Wicked Lasers and the like. What exactly is appropriate?
    ~Dustin B. AboC

"Laugh, or you will go crazy."

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    There's only one problem, Bill. We do not currently sell laser protective eyewear.
    Then there's no harm.

William, please remove the link to Mike's business since it's not relevant to the conversation.

Robert M.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    It all depends on the wavelength of the laser and its power output in wattage.

There are several companies that I recommend to people looking for laser eyewear:

http://www.lasersafetyindustries.com/Default.asp
    (These folks are in Minneapolis, and I supply them with some specialized filter glass. Contact: Keith Poppe)

http://noirlaser.com/
    (Located in Michigan)

Both companies supply eyewear for a variety of laser wavelengths and wattages. I would suggest doing research on what's needed for protection, this can usually be found on the manufacturers product label on the machine and the documentation that came with the laser.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    Then there's no harm.

William, please remove the link to Mike's business since it's not relevant to the conversation.

Robert M.
    Thank you, Robert.

Thread Information