Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: possible tint course - comments please

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

possible tint course - comments please

The optical professions have little training in tints and filters - which I believe requires change. I therefore am proposing writing a course (level can be as complex as required) and I have around 600 videos to help understand some of the more difficult concepts. Is this course wanted - if so is the proposed syllabus about right - suggestions would be appreciated. Comments would be gratefully received

Proposed tint and filter course

Syllabus

Recognition of when a tint is required
    Medical
    Cognitive
    Optometric
    Sporting
    Disability
    Neurological
    Pathways anatomy and physiology which are relevant to color prescribing
    Retina to brain and connections
    Colour spread
    Structural effects of tints
    Color space(s) and color theory
    Different types of colour vision
    The need for colour space
    Types of colour space
    Simple mathematics
    Types of tints and their differences
    Broad spectrum, notch, band, photochromic, construction methods
    Signs and symptoms
    Physical signs
    Symptoms
    Non verbal patients
    Anomalous signs
    Assessment techniques
    Simple screening to expert
    Prescribing methods
    Understanding the difference between specification and prescribing
    How to take into account task and environment
    Lighting and metamerism
    Basic lighting and illuminant effects
    Understanding the relationship between tints and lighting
    Tolerances
    Physical tolerances – and physiological tolerances
    Effects of tints and methods of assessing improvement
    Measurements, observations, cross sensory effects etc
    Optometric conditions that are best addressed with tints
    Conditions that can ONLY be addressed with tints
    Cognition
    Making sense of the image – metamorphosis, timing, mapping…….
    Effects of incorrectly prescribed tints
    Effects of non prescribing / inappropriate prescribing
    Provoking effects
    Evidence base
    What is the evidence?
    When evidence base is inappropriate – why expert knowledge is necessary
    Instrumentation and protocols

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Very nice and impressive............

Very nice and impressive.............what are you qualifications for such a large job ?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Very nice and impressive.............what are you qualifications for such a large job ?
    If you knew Ian Chris, you wouldn't ask this question.

im all in, Ian.

barry

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    no specific one - there isn't one - but have been involved in tint development, lighting, filters, instrumentation, and the effects of tints etc for around 25 years
    conferences - hundreds
    books 6
    dvd with uk uni
    + trials

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Very interesting!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We like to learn and will help in anyway make this happen. Let me know.
    We do some migraine tints and have seen miracles for kids with dyslexia that are fit with Chromagen filters. This is they type of information that we need to be a professional going forward and this needs to be mandatory study for schools and continuing Education.
    Love it!

Craig

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can this be broken down and grouped into 30 minute or hour long presentations?

Will there be a cost?

Will OD's and MD's consider this prescribing? Or as it is unregulated is it an optical wild west?

I'm blocked from youtube so here's a video in a thread for those who missed it from Jarralad2

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...light=dyslexia
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 08-07-2015 at 09:37 AM.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I would be very interested. Seen tints do some amazing stuff.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I certainly am interested. PM me when available in print.

OptiBoard Professional Caroline's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sign me up!
    Caroline, L.O.

If you suffer from severe nonlinear waterfowl issues, you don't have your ducks in a row.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    How it is to be set up is open for debate - I thought you tube + possible book + if wanted - workshops. My thoughts - basic level - you tube free - more advanced in conjunction with online book - cost of book - say $30. Workshops would be more expensive, inevitably.
    I suspect that ODs and MDs might want to take over tint supply - but this would also mean taking over sunspec sales, mean they would have to develop a whole new skill set and require much more knowledge for them - would they really want to take it on. I suspect they would like to pass it on - to become an expert requires an immense level of knowledge - and to get a course set up. As the training is so basic at present - who is to train the trainers?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Sound interesting, I'm game!!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was talking about this to my OD the other day. Certainly piqued an interest in us both.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    About time . Tints can be a very valuable tool.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello,

This is really great (Tinting Knowledge)

I am sure Book and Video is great.

I hope you upload them as soon as possible.

I will order them.

Go on!

Thank you.
    Last edited by MrOptician; 08-11-2015 at 09:17 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jarralad2 View Post
    How it is to be set up is open for debate - I thought you tube + possible book + if wanted - workshops. My thoughts - basic level - you tube free - more advanced in conjunction with online book - cost of book - say $30.
    The book along with video sounds great! Very interested. Let me know when you are ready to take orders! Hopefully this will be sooner rather than later. I know this stuff takes time!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Next year would be realistic - there is a lot of work

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    [QUOTE=Uncle Fester;510941]

Will OD's and MD's consider this prescribing? Or as it is unregulated is it an optical wild west?

Off the top of my head, I can't see optometry or medicine considering tints, filters and coatings to be a part of a prescription.
    However, if unsubstantiated claims of curative powers of these things are advertised, the state boards might consider that to be unprofessional conduct and could discipline their licencees.

Occupation
    [QUOTE=Dr. Bill Stacy;511290]
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

Off the top of my head, I can't see optometry or medicine considering tints, filters and coatings to be a part of a prescription.
    However, if unsubstantiated claims of curative powers of these things are advertised, the state boards might consider that to be unprofessional conduct and could discipline their licencees.
    Overseas I think that prescribing tints is Ok as opticians in many countries hold degrees that would allow. In the US, prescribed is a function of doctors. The current state of opticians allows tints as a fashion accessory, if tints are to be used in a therapeutic sense, then yes boards should be involved and "prescribing" should include diagnostic testing and written scripts. Of course diagnostic testing and prescribing fall outside of an opticians scope.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Dr. Bill Stacy;511290]
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

It is expected answer from OD's and MD's.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    My own position - tints are often as important / more important than refractive errors for a sub group of patients, and they are both inter- related in optimum vision. Assuming this is the case it is essential that the optical professions know how to recognize when they may be required, know how to assess and prescribe and modify for various lighting conditions and tasks. They need to understand tolerances, when the tint needs to be modified (like changing Rx for BVD) what can be measured, what is anecdotal and what results can be expected. We are already working with a UK university medical school and have completed the first set of clinical trials - results impressive. Second trials currently underway and more planned (although it is unbelievably slow - getting trials through ethics is a lesson in perseverence). Some effects of tints have been known for over a hundred years - yet the optical professions rarely have any idea of their relevance - we measure effects every day. So, either we are deluding ourselves or there are some physical effects. If so - then it is up to the optical professions to take charge and take clinical tint prescribing and dispensing to a proper level - or lose them them to other professions. They are already circling!!!

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    My own position - tints are often as important / more important than refractive errors for a sub group of patients, and they are both inter- related in optimum vision. Assuming this is the case it is essential that the optical professions know how to recognize when they may be required, know how to assess and prescribe and modify for various lighting conditions and tasks. They need to understand tolerances, when the tint needs to be modified (like changing Rx for BVD) what can be measured, what is anecdotal and what results can be expected. We are already working with a UK university medical school and have completed the first set of clinical trials - results impressive. Second trials currently underway and more planned (although it is unbelievably slow - getting trials through ethics is a lesson in perseverence). Some effects of tints have been known for over a hundred years - yet the optical professions rarely have any idea of their relevance - we measure effects every day. So, either we are deluding ourselves or there are some physical effects. If so - then it is up to the optical professions to take charge and take clinical tint prescribing and dispensing to a proper level - or lose them them to other professions. They are already circling!!!
    As to your first sentence above, you are correct, although in my long career I'd say it is a pretty small subset of the general population. I'm thinking those with less than + or - 0.75 with negligible astigmatism who have occupational, vocational or other need for tints. But take a common Rx like -1.50, which takes a young student who is otherwise symptom free from best corrected 20/100 to better than 20/20 without any tint at all, lens tinting seems far less important than the refractive error. That said, I think deep blue, violet and UV protection is important for a growing subset, especially for heavy users of hand held video devices. And indeed, this protection may well turn out to be more important than correction of 20/100 unaided (except maybe when he/she learns to drive any kind of vehicle).

When will you be releasing the first trial results? And if I may ask, how many subjects were involved?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    I completely disagree with numbers - my figures would be approx 1% profound effects, 5% significant effects, 10% enough of an effect to consider, 20% small effects. When we talk about timing - how do you estimate numbers when you have not undertaken assessments? When I undertake demonstrations at lectures I can ALWAYS effect a significant proportion of the audience - its easy to check if you know how. You should see the effects on strabismus when the timings are desynchronised - visual fields, convergence / accommodation, salience etc. But that is just a start of effects.

As for initial trial - it was longitudinal approx 200 patients for a year. This might interest you http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/press/p...science-museum - can't say too much at moment though. It's not a paper - but it should start you thinking

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    So from that reference it sounds like your first trial was of 200 individuals with tinnitus, and 40% had subjective improvement? I presume the numbers above offer a rough breakdown of that 40%? Of the remaining 60% did all experience no effect, or were any negative effects reported/recorded?

As to strabismus, I understand the science and terminology pretty well, but am unfamiliar with your use of "when the timings are desynchronised" in connection with strabismus. I also understand visual fields and accommodation/convergence as they relate to strabisumus, but "salience", what is meant by that term in the realm of strabismus?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Your research is really quite intriguing, obviously somewhat controversial to some, but for those of us who have patients that have confounded us with complaints of debilitating migraines and moderate to mildly severe learning issues, this is an area worthy of more consideration. Anyone wanting to provide their patients and clients with alternatives would be interested to learn more about your approach. Please continue to keep those of us interested in mind.

Thank You,
    Paul
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Thread Information