Thread: Adjusting angle of side Esprit TR90

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Adjusting angle of side Esprit TR90

I am trying to safely adjust the angle of side (pantoscopic tilt) on the following frame

http://www.selectspecs.com/glasses/e.../ss914.99.html

I have heated and tried to bend but it just won't go.....single pin joint as seen on photo.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    from what i understand with these ones the way they are is the way they are, very little adjustment possible other than the ears. the rep told me not to heat them too just so you know
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    TR90, like Ultem, if it has a cast-in place hinge, panto cannot be adjusted.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yep its either a bad fit and needs a frame change, or if it is because of optics you need compensated lens designs. Very unique but ultimately unflexible and incredibly heat resistant frames.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by pezmaz View Post
    I am trying to safely adjust the angle of side (pantoscopic tilt) on the following frame

http://www.selectspecs.com/glasses/e.../ss914.99.html

I have heated and tried to bend but it just won't go.....single pin joint as seen on photo.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated
    You should be able to safely apply some upward or downward bend prior to the temple bend. This would be the junction where the TR 90 stops and a new material is introduced on the temple, it is at this point where you can make adjustments.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Take the temple off. Then torque downward on the hinge, one prong at a time after you do the bottom prong , put a paper clip or screw driver in between the two prongs. This will ensure that you don't over bend the top prong. If you crush the top prong to the bottom prong you will be sure to break it. that's on the frame side. Then with your finest file, file your temple a little so when it opens it will not go right back to the original adjustment. The file will take a little finesse. I put a little lens tape on the frame. This will ensure safety in case finesse isn't your strong suit. Sometimes you will have to file the top part of the frame at the same angle. Look at the temple and imagine it on the frame where you want it. That's the angle u are looking for. Don't over due it. Otherwise the frame will be wider. And the temples will over extend. Try one plastics are typically easier. If it's single vision. And u can remake it quickly. That might save u a lot of time. Hope this helps good luck. ( sharp needle nose )* required

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks all.....Just have to be more careful in future.
    Ryan.....the temple(side here in UK) has single metal insert for mounting into two TR90 lugs but I think I may be able to adjust by taking side off and just bending this...thanks for advice

Thread Information