Thread: Santinelli 7070 Bearing replacement

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Santinelli 7070 Bearing replacement

After doing a search for repairing/replacing the bearing in the quill of the 7070, I wasn't able to find much so I thought I would post what trouble I am having. Basically when the grinding wheel starts to spin, I'm getting a terrible noise. After disassembling, how do I finish getting the quill off the machine and how do I get the bearing off of the quill? See pics below. Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150728_204241.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	12138Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150728_204228.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	12139Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150728_204212.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	12137

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    bump

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I'm not an expert on these machines by any stretch of the imagination, however, looking at pic 2, how is the spindle mounted to the edger chassis? Check for lugs or tiedowns that hold the spindle in place. Remove all of those, and the spindle SHOULD slide to the right. There's probably a seal (the black ring that appears in pics 1 and 3), that will have to be replaced, this keeps water from entering the inside of the edger.

Once you have the spindle itself out, take it to a professional machine shop and have them strip and change the bearings for you. The bearings will most likely have to be pressed out, and that is something that is not for the faint of heart or equipment challenged folks.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I have the same problem with my LE 7070. How were you able to remove or replace the spindle? Was it complicated to remove the bearing and do you have any recommendations or advice on how to proceed with the work? Thanks very much for your help.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Call VSI in Florida. They supply parts and refurbish 7070s.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Vsi

Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    Call VSI in Florida. They supply parts and refurbish 7070s.
    I contacted them to see if they had parts for the LE 7070 and they told me that they weren't a parts company. Their response was that they only sold compete edgers and only serviced what they sold. I'm trying to hunt down a service manual for the LE 7070 to see how the spindle can be removed and if it can be repaired. Apparently, there are different types of spindles and pulleys for this edger, so it would probably be best to keep the original parts and get them repaired.

Thanks for your help and suggestion.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I can not make any specific suggestions, but, as Mike suggested you might want to take the whole machine to a local machine shop for repair. Unless you know what you are doing you could easily damage proprietary parts (expensive castings) but the bearings and seals are off the shelf stuff.

Check your customer records and see if you have a customer who is a machinist. This is an ideal opportunity for a workman's exchange. You fixa da edger - I maka you some nice glasses.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    I can not make any specific suggestions, but, as Mike suggested you might want to take the whole machine to a local machine shop for repair. Unless you know what you are doing you could easily damage proprietary parts (expensive castings) but the bearings and seals are off the shelf stuff.

Check your customer records and see if you have a customer who is a machinist. This is an ideal opportunity for a workman's exchange. You fixa da edger - I maka you some nice glasses.

I initially contacted Santinelli's tech support for advice on my edger. They said that the possible problems were the drive motor or the belt connecting the motor to the spindle. I've been able to confirm that the motor runs well but the belt slows to a stop when the lens meets the roughing wheel. I adjusted the tension on the belt but it continued to stop during the roughing cycle. I spoke with a serviceman who also sales reconditioned edgers. He said that the problem was with the spindle BUT it's a bear taking it out. His suggestion was that if I could remove the spindle, he has a machinist who could repair it for $700.00. I wanted to see if someone on this board could advise me on how to get the spindle out and does it take $700.00 to get it repaired.

Your suggestion is right on target. I just need to know how to get the spindle out and how to get it repaired.

Thanks for your input.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post

Thanks for the lead. I checked the auction item and found that the seller removed the item from auction in Feb 2015. It would have been nice to have it.

OptiWizard OptiBoard Bronze Supporter pezfaerie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I just PM'd you
    Pez:D

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Burlingame Vision View Post
    I contacted them to see if they had parts for the LE 7070 and they told me that they weren't a parts company. Their response was that they only sold compete edgers and only serviced what they sold. I'm trying to hunt down a service manual for the LE 7070 to see how the spindle can be removed and if it can be repaired. Apparently, there are different types of spindles and pulleys for this edger, so it would probably be best to keep the original parts and get them repaired.

Thanks for your help and suggestion.

Sorry that didn't work out. I've gotten parts there, but I also bought my edger there, so that must be why. I was unaware of the restriction.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    Sorry that didn't work out. I've gotten parts there, but I also bought my edger there, so that must be why. I was unaware of the restriction.
    It's a learning process for me, too. I'm finding that everyone on this forum has been extremely helpful with their suggestions and information. I'm pretty confident that I can get my edger repaired using the help and advice offered on this thread.

Thread Information