Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Essilor's Prevencia vs Hoya's Bluecontrol

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Question Essilor's Prevencia vs Hoya's Bluecontrol

Hello, I am highly interested in new lenses that filter blue light. Although nothing is scientifically proven regarding the reduction of risk type AMD, there are returns that show less fatigue and blindness behind screens.

On optiboard, the most important criticism is the yellow coloration of these glasses. I tested the Prevencia and indeed the white walls become slightly yellow.

I do not know if those glasses can be recommended for someone who will bring this pair every day or only for a second pair.

Essilor says its lenses filter 20% of blue light. Hoya says that BlueControl (also called "Remark") filter 10%.

By filtering more, is that Prevencia have a yellow tint most? Has anyone had the opportunity to test both glass?
    Last edited by fixide; 07-25-2015 at 05:44 PM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I will tell you that I have Prevencia on my lenses. It does have a slight yellowish brown tint but I have to say in my 20 years as an optician i haven't found a better AR! If you have a blue light you can shine it threw your lenses and see how much blue light it really blocks. The slight tint I have found to be soothing on my eyes. Its pretty much all I sell at my practice. Everyone I have sold it to loves it! I have had a few guys that aren't to keen on the purple hue but the girls love the color!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Have you been able to compare with Hoya's BlueControl? Essilor lenses filter says his best. However I would have liked to know if the customer return on yellow tint is marked in Hoya.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have seen both, I feel like Hoya's lens gets dirtier faster and I don't have a lot of faith in their coatings in general from past experience. I love my prevencia, I haven't personally tried the Hoya coat but i've seen them on a few people and they always look gross!!
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    yellowish tint seems to be about the same for both i feel
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The only thing I don't like on my Prevencia lenses is how it reflects a purple color, compared to blue/green with Avance or Sapphire. In terms of glare reduction, they are great. I also have Transitions, so I'm used to a slightly altered color and it does not bother me. I also have a pair with Hoya Recharge A/R and I like its glare reduction as well, and it reflects a blue color, which is nice.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Megab7176 View Post
    I have had a few guys that aren't to keen on the purple hue but the girls love the color!
    I'm not too thrilled with the purple color, but I live in East Carolina University territory and the majority of colors around here are purple and gold, so it works out!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    So - a yellow tint somewhat similar on both glass. - A glass that hoya faster dirty - And a hoya glass less efficient: 10% HEV filtered against 20% for Prevencia. ? I think the "recharge" is the same as the BlueControl. This AR have plenty of names with hoya. In Japan I think it's named venus guard lapis...

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    The yellow is not a tint at all on these lenses, it's the result of the reflection of blue light away from the front surface. When you remove most of the blue from in front of you, all the other wavelengths take over, the brightest of which is yellow. Unfortunately, reflection from the back surface is very bad on all these lenses, reflecting not only visible blue but also UV radiation into and on and around the eyes. See www.noviolens.com

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bill Stacy View Post
    The yellow is not a tint at all on these lenses, it's the result of the reflection of blue light away from the front surface. When you remove most of the blue from in front of you, all the other wavelengths take over, the brightest of which is yellow. Unfortunately, reflection from the back surface is very bad on all these lenses, reflecting not only visible blue but also UV radiation into and on and around the eyes. See www.noviolens.com
    But Essilor states that Prevencia filter UV outside and inside... http://www.essilor.com/en/Press/News...a_28022013.pdf Marketing?

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Here's a direct link to the video if you want to see the proof: https://youtu.be/KCiTMOd7iEw

The Prevencia is not really an AR coating, it's a blue mirror coating which they but on both surfaces. Sure, blue coming from in front of the wearer is reflected back towards the source from BOTH surfaces. But blue coming from behind the wearer is reflected AND CONCENTRATED (because of the concavity of both surfaces from the back side) from BOTH surfaces back on and into the eyes and adnexa. Unintended consequences...

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I have to disagree. This same "issue" was brought up during the development of laser protective eyewear. There was a fear that the curve of the inside of lens would act as a reflector into the eye of an off-axis "behind and to the side" laser beam exposure. Multiple beam traces were done and not one single ray ever impinged on the eye.

If the UV/Blue light is absorbed/reflected by the lens to any major extent, there is not enough left to "reflect" back into the eye. The very theory is nonsense. If there's nothing passing through the lens, what is it going to reflect off of? Is the eye all of a sudden a mirror?

You might be able to sell this snake oil to a consumer, but it won't fly with professional opticians who understand filters and optics.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    The internal surface "issue" has been taken into account by Hoya, but not on the bluecontrol : http://www.hoya.eu/index.php?SID=55b...&page_id=28573 To return to the subject (vs. Prevencia BlueControl), I need more feedbacks. It is also difficult to have prevencia lenses in essilor stock. Most corrections need to be manufactured. There is also more choice on the BlueControl. The yellow tint is very well supported by some and less for the other. Can be a matter of color perception (white wall...). It also may be necessary to leave 5 days of adaptation. Perhaps these lenses would be more advisable as a second pair for work or for inside? But given the price of the glasses for a high correction, I can not offer both, despite the gain in comfort.
    Last edited by fixide; 07-28-2015 at 04:56 PM.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I can post a ray tracing if you like, but as to my snake oil, if UV/blue light is reflected by the BACK surface coating of the lens by definition such reflected radiation never enters the lens substrate itself. That's pretty basic optics. Apparently you didn't watch the 8 min video that conclusively demonstrates that TONS of UV coming from behind the wearer can be concentrated on the eye. Here it is again: https://youtu.be/KCiTMOd7iEw

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    The above post was an answer to Mike's post 3 above. As to fixide's post 2nd above, it's real interesting to me that Hoya.eu (europe) is advertising stuff we apparently cant't even get in the US, like the "UV Control" and the BlueControl, while their "Recharge" available to us isn't even mentioned in the Hoya.eu sites.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Sorry, I don't watch snake oil videos.

The Department of Defense studied this in detail during the 1980's and 1990's using ray tracing with lasers. There. Is. No. Way. What. You. Are. Claiming. Is. True.

Please stop.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Ok then I'm guessing you've never seen a pair of Prevencias or Recharges or BlueProtects or TechShields, am I correct?
    These are the 4 big "blue protective" coatings marketed in the US. If you ever get a chance to see a pair, try them on and face away from the sun. Then tell me if you don't see dramatic blue reflections coming off the back surfaces as you turn your head from right to left or left to right. But don't look too long, because you'll also be getting a hefty dose of UV along with the blue. All 4 brands reflect UV strongly off the back. It's not exactly rocket science. Easily proven as I did in the video which clearly shows the reflected UV strongly darkening a photochromatic test lens. Snake oil indeed.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you rub Prevencia on a snake with they become an anti reflective purple snake? I really do love my prevencia. Like I said. I have seen most of them. I love this one the best!!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Dr. Stacy,
    Thanks for the video. One question, in the AR test lens on the right, did you use one of the newer UV protective AR's like Avance' UV or just a standard AR coated lens?

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    In the test glasses, the right lens was a Hoya Recharge, the left was a Hoya Super Hi Vision EX3, their best AR

Looking at Gilda from the front she is wearing those glasses, so the right lens is on your left and vice-versa.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Anyway, I don't think the EX3 is advertised as a uv blocker. And that's a good thing, since uv coming from behind is allowed to harmlessly pass into the lens substrate where it's mostly if not totally absorbed. I don't use "uv protected" ARs because I'm pretty sure they reflect UV like the blue reflectors do because uv wavelengths are right next to indigo in the spectrum. Not as much of course, but why pay extra for a coating that reflects ANY uv?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Actually UV protective AR's are designed to allow the UV to pass through to the lens substrate to be absorbed rather than being reflected back into the eye which lens manufacturers are fond of telling us is a major drawback to AR lenses without this enhancement.

Your video clearly shows that non-uv protected AR coatings do not reflect an appreciable amount of UV back into the eye at least at the specific wavelength that activates the photochromatic lens. Interesting...

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Exactly, and an astute observation. I think Essilor and friends found a way to charge for something you already had.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Full disclosure: I work for Zeiss.
    I am not going to speak for Essilor or Hoya, but I will discuss Zeiss DuraVision Blue Protect.

We put DuraVision Platinum(Our most advanced AR coating) on the back surface of our Blue Protect lens, not a blue protect coating on the back side as you suggested in your article. This AR coating on the back surface has about <0.1% reflectance. With that amount of reflectance and a small target area(i.e.3-5mm pupil) I think this is a non-issue.

Blue Protect lenses are not meant to be worn outside or at night time. It is not an AR coating as it blocks a portion of the visible spectrum. Their intended purpose is for indoor use.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bill Stacy View Post
    I can post a ray tracing if you like, but as to my snake oil, if UV/blue light is reflected by the BACK surface coating of the lens by definition such reflected radiation never enters the lens substrate itself. That's pretty basic optics. Apparently you didn't watch the 8 min video that conclusively demonstrates that TONS of UV coming from behind the wearer can be concentrated on the eye. Here it is again: https://youtu.be/KCiTMOd7iEw

Dr. Stacy, thank you for sharing this video. I find it very interesting. I have tried the several of the blue "AR's" that protect (20-25%) against blue light and I found them uncomfortable due to the backside blue reflections. I have also had several clients with the same experience. I have also had others that these reflections do not bother but the UV exposure off the back surface is reason for concern. As far as someone saying these lenses should not be worn outside, I find this interesting because of the HEV from the sun we are exposed to. I feel like we are going to hear more about this subject very soon and we will see an excellent solution. Thanks again for sharing.

Thread Information