Thread: Please help. I'm running through some road blocks in my past year exam papers.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crier Please help. I'm running through some road blocks in my past year exam papers.

My final advanced theory in ophthalmic lenses examination is next week. I have been doing my past year papers and I only have 2 questions left that I'm not sure how to solve. I hope someone here can help point me to the direction. Big thanks in advance.

question 1

a prescription +7.25DS / +1.25DC * 90 is made with toxic form of +11.00D sphere curve using material of 1.74 index and centre thickness of 5.75mm

1. calculate the radii of curvature of the finished back surface of this thick lens.

Im assuming the question is asking me to calculate the radii of curvature after compensating the centre thickness. Please correct if I'm wrong! Not sure what the question wants.

Question 2

A prescription +7.25DS/ -2.00DC*115 is at 10mm is made into toric form with +10.00D base curve in 1.67 index and with centre thickness of 6.20mm. Final lens to be dispensed at 14mm.

1. calculate the power of the lens required when worn at a vertex distance of 14mm

2.calculate the power of the sphere curve of the lens at 14mm, taking into account the lens thickness and refractive index.

Ps: my main concern here is how do you compensate vertex power into a toric form lens with base curve or sphere curve.
    Last edited by Zane; 06-22-2015 at 11:16 PM.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Zane View Post
    Im assuming the question is asking me to calculate the radii of curvature after compensating the centre thickness.
    I believe so. See...

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...-surface-power

Question #2 asks for the "sphere curve" which is confusing because there is cylinder. Maybe they mean the weakest back curve, but certainly not the stronger cross curve. There are others here who are much more knowledgeable than myself in this area who will provide assistance.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Robert, first I wish to thank you replying.

i will include my calculations for the first question. Please advise if I'm wrong.

Centre thickness= 5.75 Index material = 1.74

the nominal toric form with a +11.00D shere curve

+11.00DS

After the compensation

+11.00DS

Radii curvature for sphere curve = +67.27mm

base curve = +296mm. Cross curve = + 197.33mm

is this what the question wants?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For Q #1, you need to use the back vertex formula.

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...r-thick-lenses

For Q #2, you need the above with vertex distance compensation.

I'm still perplexed by the use of the term "sphere power"- in Q1, it probably should be the base curve (+11), but in Q2 it's a mystery (to me).

I did find this...

Here is the modern definition, which is applicable to most lenses made since the Nixon administration: ;)

Front curve = Base Curve
    Weakest back curve, producing sphere power = Back Base Curve
    Strongest back curve, producing cylinder power = Cross Curve

In the absence of cylinder power, the Back Base Curve may also be called the Sphere Curve. -D.Meister

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php/1959-Base-Curves

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Robert, I'm sorry I left out the axis of the prescription for question 2

i believe the nominal form of the lens they are looking for

+10.00DC*115 / +12.00DC*25

i hope this makes more sense now. Not sure how to compensate for vertex distance. I'm stuck from here. :(

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not sure how to compensate for vertex distance. I'm stuck from here. :(
    Here you go...

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...l=1#post182544

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is a great discussion, and I am pleased to see it. I hope some read and understand just what they have not learned in their "apprenticeships." A prime example of why a formal education should be mandated for all people entering this field. Excellent Robert!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    My final advanced theory in ophthalmic lenses examination is next week. I have been doing my past year papers and I only have 2 questions left that I'm not sure how to solve. I hope someone here can help point me to the direction. Big thanks in advance.

question 1

a prescription +7.25DS / +1.25DC * 90 is made with toxic form of +11.00D sphere curve using material of 1.74 index and centre thickness of 5.75mm

1. calculate the radii of curvature of the finished back surface of this thick lens.

Im assuming the question is asking me to calculate the radii of curvature after compensating the centre thickness. Please correct if I'm wrong! Not sure what the question wants.

Question 2

A prescription +7.25DS/ -2.00DC*115 is at 10mm is made into toric form with +10.00D base curve in 1.67 index and with centre thickness of 6.20mm. Final lens to be dispensed at 14mm.

1. calculate the power of the lens required when worn at a vertex distance of 14mm

2.calculate the power of the sphere curve of the lens at 14mm, taking into account the lens thickness and refractive index.

Ps: my main concern here is how do you compensate vertex power into a toric form lens with base curve or sphere curve.
    Question 1: a prescription +7.25DS / +1.25DC * 90 is made with toxic form of +11.00D sphere curve using material of 1.74 index and centre thickness of 5.75mm

FC = +11.00
    Rx = +8.50 -1.25 x 180
    n = 1.74
    t = 5.75

vergence of first surface = 1/11 = 0.090909m = 90.91mm
    vergence at second surface = 90.91 - (5.75/1.74) = 87.62mm = 0.08762m
    power at second surface = 11.41D

Second surface power @ 180 = 8.50 - 11.41 = -2.91D
    Second surface power @ 090 = 7.25 - 11.41 = -4.16D

radius @ 180 = (1.74 - 1)/2.91 = 0.254295m = 254.30mm
    radius @ 090 = (1.74 - 1)/4.16 = 0.177884m = 177.88mm

Question 2: A prescription +7.25DS/ -2.00DC*115 is at 10mm is made into toric form with +10.00D base curve in 1.67 index and with centre thickness of 6.20mm. Final lens to be dispensed at 14mm.

2. calculate the power of the sphere curve of the lens at 14mm, taking into account the lens thickness and refractive index.

Rx = +5.25 +2.00 x 025 at 10mm
    FC @ 025 = +10.00D
    FC @ 115 = +12.00D
    n = 1.67
    t = 6.20

f of Sph at 10mm = 1/5.25 = 0.190476m = 190.48mm
    f of Sph at 14mm = 190.48 + (14 - 10) = 194.48mm = 0.19448m
    Sph at 14mm = 5.14D

f of Cyl at 10mm = 1/7.25 = 0.137931m = 137.93mm
    f of Cyl at 14mm = 137.93 + (14 - 10) = 141.93mm = 0.14193m
    Cyl at 14mm = 7.05D

Rx(+) = +5.14 +1.91 x 025
    Rx(-) = +7.14 -1.91 x 115

vergence of first surface @ 025 = 1/10 = 0.1m = 100.00mm
    vergence at second surface @ 025 = 100.00 - (6.20/1.67) = 96.29mm = 0.09629m
    power at second surface @ 025 = 10.39D

Second surface power @ 025 = 5.14 - 10.39 = -5.25D

That's what I got, my method is unconventional but it gets the right answer. I prefer to step through the problem surface by surface. Sorry for the late reply, I assumed when I saw the last response was from Dr McDonald and Robert Martellaro the question was answered.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you so much make optics. I prefer to do it with the step along method too. The formula method is confusing to me. It totally makes so much sense now. Thank you so much for the understanding. You're too great :)

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    This is a great discussion, and I am pleased to see it. I hope some read and understand just what they have not learned in their "apprenticeships." A prime example of why a formal education should be mandated for all people entering this field. Excellent Robert!

I was thinking the same thing, but unfortunately, I was also reminded of how much I've forgotten. A wake up call for me...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Thank you so much make optics. I prefer to do it with the step along method too. The formula method is confusing to me. It totally makes so much sense now. Thank you so much for the understanding. You're too great :)
    Thank you Zane, glad I could help. The step along method helps to build intuition, the formula's tend to obscure what is happening and removes the true optics or interaction of light with various surfaces along the path of refraction. Stick to the step along method and their are fewer formulas to remember and greater problems that can be solved outside of the typical text book examples given.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

question 1

Sorry I am late to the party!
    When you put an Rx in topic form your sphere curve is your front curve and you add your cylinder to that curve. The sphere curve is the base curve because one definition of a base curve is the flattest curve on a toric surface.
    1. Add the cylinder to the sphere curve +11.00 + 1.25 = 12.25
    2. This will be your front surface Written as +11.00@180/+12.25@90 with the axis going to the cylinder curve and adding 90 for the sphere curve
    3. Subtract sphere power from base curve 7.25 - 11.00 = -3.75. This becomes your back curve.

Now convert to 1.74 and use the back vertex formula to solve for actual values.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensgrinder View Post
    Sorry I am late to the party!
    When you put an Rx in topic form your sphere curve is your front curve and you add your cylinder to that curve. The sphere curve is the base curve because one definition of a base curve is the flattest curve on a toric surface.
    1. Add the cylinder to the sphere curve +11.00 + 1.25 = 12.25
    2. This will be your front surface Written as +11.00@180/+12.25@90 with the axis going to the cylinder curve and adding 90 for the sphere curve
    3. Subtract sphere power from base curve 7.25 - 11.00 = -3.75. This becomes your back curve.

Now convert to 1.74 and use the back vertex formula to solve for actual values.
    Hello, lensgrinder.

Toric form? I missed that- darn spell checkers. We're talking about a plus cylinder form lens? But isn't the back curve on a plus cylinder form called the sphere curve?

Before your post, I walked through Q. #2, thinking minus cylinder form. I don't have time to change it, although I suppose we can just ignore the cross curve I calculated since that now resides on the front surface. Did I get it right?

Question 2

+7.25 -2.00 x 115

Compensate for dr’s vertex 10mm, wearer’s vertex 14mm.

7.25 / 1 + .004 x 7.25 = 7.05
    5.25 / 1 + .004 x 5.25 = 5.36 (entry eror- should be 5.14)

7.05 - 1.69 x 115 (correcting the above +7.05 - 1.91 x 115)

B = p - F/(1-(Ft/n))

where

F is the front curve (in n diopters)
    Fb is the effective power of the front curve at the back surface
    t is the thickness in meters
    n is the index
    B is the back curve (in n diopters)
    p is the desired power

Starting with 7.05 meridian.

B = +7.05 - +10 / (1 - (+10 x .0062 / 1.67))
    B = +7.05 - +10 / (1 - (.062 / 1.67))
    B = +7.05 - +10 / 1 - .037
    B = +7.05 - +10 / .963
    B = +7.05 - +10.38
    B = -3.33

Solving for the +5.14 meridian +5.14 - 10.38 = -5.24.

Which leaves a toroidal rear curve (referenced to 1.67 I assume) of -3.33 D / -5.24 D.
    Last edited by Robert Martellaro; 06-30-2015 at 09:04 PM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Robert you are correct about the sphere curve. Plus cylinder lenses are ground with two curves on the front, minus cylinder with two curves on the back. The sphere curve is always the spherical curve, as the name suggests. So for plus cylinders, the sphere curve is on the back, for minus cylinders, it is on the front. The base curve is always on the front surface. As lensgrinder says, the base curve may be defined as the weakest curve. For plus cylinders, this means that the weaker curve on the front surface is the base curve (the other being the cross curve). For minus lenses, there is no "weaker" curve on the front, there is only one curvature, which means that the sphere curve is the base curve.

Now on to these questions. The questions are a little confusing depending on how you want to interpret them. The first question asks us to figure out the radii of curvature of the back surface, which suggests the lens is to be ground in minus cylinder form. If you want to keep it in plus cylinder form, then the answer is simple:

Back surface power = +11.00D in all meridians
    Therefore we have surface radius in all meridians = -6.727 cm (rearranging surface power formula for radius).

To figure out the front curves, it is easiest to reverse the system. Although at this point you should already expect a negative curvature on the front, which simply isn't done for a +8.50D. Not to mention a negative back curve as well. At this point it is clear that this is not what the question is asking for. Nevertheless, for completeness.

We require vergence leaving the back surface of the lens to be +7.25D@90 and +8.50D@180. Thus, in a reversed system, we begin with -7.25D@90 and -8.50D@180. The vergence after refraction at the back surface if the lens is

90 meridian: -7.25D + 11.00D = +3.75D
    180 meridian: -8.50D + 11.00D = +2.50D

The vergence changes by the time we reach the front surface of the lens, such that we have vergences incident on the front surface of:

+3.797D@90 / +2.521D@180 {Using the downstream vergence equation, or changing the desired focal lengths}

Finally, since we measure back vertex power with respect to parallel rays entering the lens, the vergence leaving the front surface of the lens must be zero. Again, we have

Power in 90 meridian = V2 - V1 = 0.00 - (+3.797D) = -3.797D
    Power in 180 meridian = V2 - V1 = 0.00 - (+2.521D) = -2.521D

So the power of the front surface of the lens would be approximately -3.80@90 / -2.52@180. The radii are therefore

Radius in 90 meridian (base curve) = -19.49 cm
    Radius in 180 meridian (cross curve) = -29.35 cm

As you can see we get a meniscus lens, however it bulges towards the eye, which is absurd. Instead, I interpreted the question as MakeOptics did, and came up with the same answer (using a similar approach).

For question 2, your calculations are correct Robert (just watch the cylinder in the Rx. - should be -1.91D). However, if the lens is ground in minus cylinder form, asking for the sphere curve power is meaningless, since it is given as +10.00D in the question. Again I had the same idea as MakeOptics to convert to a plus cyl, and then you've got the front surface with the weaker base curve as +10.00D and the cross curve as +12.00D (for 10 mm). Regardless if the question wanted the toric base curve, then you would be correct Robert (again just watch out for that second meridian which you've quoted as 5.36 when it should be 5.14 - this will give you and answer of -5.25D and the correct cyl of -1.91D).

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRobotious View Post
    For question 2, your calculations are correct Robert (just watch the cylinder in the Rx. - should be -1.91D). However, if the lens is ground in minus cylinder form, asking for the sphere curve power is meaningless, since it is given as +10.00D in the question. Again I had the same idea as MakeOptics to convert to a plus cyl, and then you've got the front surface with the weaker base curve as +10.00D and the cross curve as +12.00D (for 10 mm). Regardless if the question wanted the toric base curve, then you would be correct Robert (again just watch out for that second meridian which you've quoted as 5.36 when it should be 5.14 - this will give you and answer of -5.25D and the correct cyl of -1.91D).
    Thanks. I edited my post to show the correct values.

In question #2, unless I'm misunderstanding the question, does say the BC is +10. Asking for the sphere curve would make sense if, as lensgrinder points out, the lens is made in toric form (plus cyl form), as stated in the question.

Concerning question #1, a plus lens with a minus base curve might be used decrease the magnification for iseikonic lenses. Or the cheese fell off the examiner's cracker when he/she wrote this test question.

Zane, where are these exam questions from?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    In question #2, unless I'm misunderstanding the question, does say the BC is +10. Asking for the sphere curve would make sense if, as lensgrinder points out, the lens is made in toric form (plus cyl form), as stated in the question.

Concerning question #1, a plus lens with a minus base curve might be used decrease the magnification for iseikonic lenses. Or the cheese fell off the examiner's cracker when he/she wrote this test question.
    Is the definition of "toric form" taken to be plus cylinder specifically? I only ask because I've never come across it in my studies at all, I've always take toric form to mean, well, just a toric lens (as in plus toric form and minus toric form). I was trying to say it would be meaningless asking for a sphere curve if the lens was ground in minus cyl form, because then the sphere curve would be the base curve of +10.00D and no calculations would be necessary. But then if toric form is taken to mean plus cyl form, then question 1 becomes pointless as they've given us the back surface power in the question. Either way all this talk of curves is beginning to do my head in...

Also good point with the iseikonic lenses, I was not thinking of those at all with this question!
    Last edited by TheRobotious; 06-30-2015 at 10:54 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is the definition of "toric form" taken to be plus cylinder specifically? I only ask because I've never come across it in my studies at all, I've always take toric form to mean, well, just a toric lens (as in plus toric form and minus toric form). I was trying to say it would be meaningless asking for a sphere curve if the lens was ground in minus cyl form, because then the sphere curve would be the base curve of +10.00D and no calculations would be necessary. But then if toric form is taken to mean plus cyl form, then question 1 becomes pointless as they've given us the back surface power in the question. Either way all this talk of curves is beginning to do my head in...

Also good point with the iseikonic lenses, I was not thinking of those at all with this question!
    Yes, especially in the first two references below, and is new to me also.

http://www.opticampus.com/files/intr...mic_optics.pdf Page 33 section 5.4.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Ib...linder&f=false

Also, System for Ophthalmic Dispensing 3rd edition. It's at work, but I believe it was on page 305. (It is page 305, but "toric form" is not discussed.)
    Last edited by Robert Martellaro; 07-01-2015 at 10:42 AM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Something I'll have to keep in mind from here on out. Thanks!

Occupation
    Robert you are correct about the sphere curve. Plus cylinder lenses are ground with two curves on the front, minus cylinder with two curves on the back. The sphere curve is always the spherical curve, as the name suggests. So for plus cylinders, the sphere curve is on the back, for minus cylinders, it is on the front. The base curve is always on the front surface. As lensgrinder says, the base curve may be defined as the weakest curve. For plus cylinders, this means that the weaker curve on the front surface is the base curve (the other being the cross curve). For minus lenses, there is no "weaker" curve on the front, there is only one curvature, which means that the sphere curve is the base curve.

Now on to these questions. The questions are a little confusing depending on how you want to interpret them. The first question asks us to figure out the radii of curvature of the back surface, which suggests the lens is to be ground in minus cylinder form. If you want to keep it in plus cylinder form, then the answer is simple:

Back surface power = +11.00D in all meridians
    Therefore we have surface radius in all meridians = -6.727 cm (rearranging surface power formula for radius).

To figure out the front curves, it is easiest to reverse the system. Although at this point you should already expect a negative curvature on the front, which simply isn't done for a +8.50D. Not to mention a negative back curve as well. At this point it is clear that this is not what the question is asking for. Nevertheless, for completeness.

We require vergence leaving the back surface of the lens to be +7.25D@90 and +8.50D@180. Thus, in a reversed system, we begin with -7.25D@90 and -8.50D@180. The vergence after refraction at the back surface if the lens is

90 meridian: -7.25D + 11.00D = +3.75D
    180 meridian: -8.50D + 11.00D = +2.50D

The vergence changes by the time we reach the front surface of the lens, such that we have vergences incident on the front surface of:

+3.797D@90 / +2.521D@180 {Using the downstream vergence equation, or changing the desired focal lengths}

Finally, since we measure back vertex power with respect to parallel rays entering the lens, the vergence leaving the front surface of the lens must be zero. Again, we have

Power in 90 meridian = V2 - V1 = 0.00 - (+3.797D) = -3.797D
    Power in 180 meridian = V2 - V1 = 0.00 - (+2.521D) = -2.521D

So the power of the front surface of the lens would be approximately -3.80@90 / -2.52@180. The radii are therefore

Radius in 90 meridian (base curve) = -19.49 cm
    Radius in 180 meridian (cross curve) = -29.35 cm

As you can see we get a meniscus lens, however it bulges towards the eye, which is absurd. Instead, I interpreted the question as MakeOptics did, and came up with the same answer (using a similar approach).

In the US, most of these terms are lost on opticians so the confusion comes about when translating terminology. I have studied many of the overseas works and prefer the terminology and approach used in countries such as yours. Thanks for the follow up it's nice to have more minds on a fun problem.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeOptics View Post
    In the US, most of these terms are lost on opticians so the confusion comes about when translating terminology. I have studied many of the overseas works and prefer the terminology and approach used in countries such as yours. Thanks for the follow up it's nice to have more minds on a fun problem.
    All we need now is a few more fun problems!

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hello, lensgrinder.

Toric form? I missed that- darn spell checkers. We're talking about a plus cylinder form lens? But isn't the back curve on a plus cylinder form called the sphere curve?
    Is the definition of "toric form" taken to be plus cylinder specifically? I only ask because I've never come across it in my studies at all, I've always take toric form to mean, well, just a toric lens (as in plus toric form and minus toric form).
    Sorry for the confusion Robert and thanks for answering TheRobotious. I was in a hurry.

Technically the term toric can apply to a minus cylinder lens or plus cylinder lens. The term toric means that one surface is toroidal(a surface that has two radii of curvature) and it is curved in form.

I agree on question 1.

Question 2

Since it is asking for the sphere curve this means that it has to be in plus cylinder form. Sphere curve only applies to a lens ground in plus cylinder

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Robert,

Sorry for the late reply. I just got this question from my past year papers that I was practicing. These are advance ophthalmic past year papers.

I would like thank everyone for your replies, I am so overwhelmed by the support from this forum.

This question really did came out on my exam day!

Thank you you so much!

Thanks. I edited my post to show the correct values.

Zane, where are these exam questions from?

Occupation
    Zane,

Do you have the steps from your work to show the method your professor taught?

If you do please post them to give the thread future clarity.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Make Optics,

i don't have the professor's steps. These are just past year papers I was practicing before my exam.

But I believe the working you provided is the correct steps.

Thanks again.

Thread Information