Thread: Oakley Event Help!

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Oakley Event Help!

We did a Oakley event at a 64 team baseball tournament in our town and it was a HUGE failure. I was there for 2 days and sold 1 pair. We had a very good amount of interest but nobody would pull the trigger. We have a lot of sunglasses to sell and I would like to try something else. I attached a photo of our tent I think it looked really good.

Anybody have any tips on doing onsite Oakley selling?

Jeramy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oakley.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	12066

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I don't have any tips, but you are right; your tent looked awesome.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do you know if your price point is equal or relative to what it is online? Oakley is just about our worst brand when it comes to price shoppers. They can pull that stuff up on their phone in heartbeat.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was selling them at Oakley's required retail and giving 15% to the local baseball club. I just wonder if I picked the wrong event. Maybe an event where people were looking to spend money vs play baseball.

Jeramy

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You've probably hit the nail on the head. They were there to relax and ease their minds of financial decisions. It's unfortunate that we live in a time where purchasing something nice for yourself is sort of like a difficulty, or viewed with possible reluctance.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Its hard to sell anything from a push cart these days but at least it got you out of the office and into the fresh air.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree the tent looked great! I'm not sure if it's possible, but maybe advertise that you'll be there ahead of time and that you'll be offering a discount. Maybe let the club know so they can put it in a newsletter or something. The other thing, is that if it is an annual event and you go every year, people will expect you there and plan for it. I remember having a sunglass open house...at the first one we only sold 8 pair. After a few years, we would sell 50 pair in just a few hours. People expected it and kids would save up for it. Just a thought for the future.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Set up is awesome however missing signage. Include "Authorized Oakley Dealer" ...outside of a mall some may think they are knockoffs..mention guarantees and after the sale service @ your store. Include types of payment you accept..Apple pay, credit cards etc

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    I agree the tent looked great! I'm not sure if it's possible, but maybe advertise that you'll be there ahead of time and that you'll be offering a discount. Maybe let the club know so they can put it in a newsletter or something. The other thing, is that if it is an annual event and you go every year, people will expect you there and plan for it. I remember having a sunglass open house...at the first one we only sold 8 pair. After a few years, we would sell 50 pair in just a few hours. People expected it and kids would save up for it. Just a thought for the future.
    This is a fantastic idea. Make yourself a kind of staple.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by PRECISIONLAB View Post
    Set up is awesome however missing signage. Include "Authorized Oakley Dealer" ...outside of a mall some may think they are knockoffs..mention guarantees and after the sale service @ your store. Include types of payment you accept..Apple pay, credit cards etc
    Yes! Another good idea. A lot of people may not have realized that you took credit cards. I know when I go to a ball game, I don't carry a lot of cash, and never my checkbook...maybe that put off buyers. Also, include a sign that has your store name on it. Then people will know you're a local B&M store. Not some guy off the streets of NYC selling "Oakleys"

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The problem is/was, is that Oakley is a commodity. When I go to a ball game, and see an Oakley booth, I might (as a consumer) browse a bit, and know that in the back of my mind, I can buy them anyplace, anytime. However, if I see a booth with a custom made hat that sprays a cool mist on my neck, that is powered by the blinking of my eyelashes, I might just make a purchase, because I don't know when I'll have the opportunity to buy such an item again. I'd know I probably couldn't go online for it, and it won't be at the mall. In other words, there is no sense of urgency to buy the product.

Also, sunglasses are now considered standard baseball equipment for youth and adults. You'd better believe they are going to have them when they get there. You would have probably had the same poor results if you had been selling your average baseball mitts. On the other hand, if you were to invent one that the kid's could text with, without taking their hands out of the glove, you may have sold out.

If it's any consolation, I had the exact same booth at a bluegrass festival about 10 years ago. I even hired some pretty girls to man the booth. The only difference was that I sold cheap suns like you see at the fair. It was a 12 hour event, and I sold about 10 pair. At the end of the day, the tent cost me more than I came close to making, but it was a good learning experience.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeoptical View Post
    I was selling them at Oakley's required retail and giving 15% to the local baseball club. I just wonder if I picked the wrong event. Maybe an event where people were looking to spend money vs play baseball.

Jeramy
    Ding ding that's exactly it. Baseball fans are looking for the street meat cart, not expensive eyewear. Your tent did look great.

On the flip side, perhaps a golf event would be a better venue since most golfers have cha ching in their wallets and will do practically anything to help improve their vision and their game. However, selling out of a tent at an event, consumers will be expecting a much higher discount than 15%.

You must set the selling price, not Oakley. Who gives a crap about 'protecting the brand', its all about sell, sell sell.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeoptical View Post

Jeramy
    You where doomed from the start; there is no money in buying for $100 to sell for $200 while giving $30 to the local club. I put your time at $50 per hour and you need to add in the set-up time and energy to put the event together plus gas bills and the cost of not being in the store.

We just did a big event with Maui Jim and after selling 68 pair in 3 days it was not a huge profit maker; we made money but it was a lot of work and hot as hell outside in Florida.

If this was a kids event I can see it not working at all but an adult tournament should generate some RX sales and enough plano to cover basic costs and energy.

We have huge baseball tournaments here in town and the wife comes shopping while the guys play ball but we do not have a booth at the fields.

The future of retail is coming to events or gatherings where folks of like minds can browse and buy from a large selection. It works best for the brand and not the retailer.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the help. Oakley does an event at the Cleveland Clinic and the Clinic lets the employees payroll deduct the cost of the sunglasses. Now that would be something to get in on.

Jeramy

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Try again next year with $20-and-under sunglasses. You'll do a whole lot better at that sort of event. If you can sell beer, even better.

Thread Information