Thread: Moving from a non licensed to a licensed state

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Moving from a non licensed to a licensed state

So I'm getting close to the point where I feel like I may need a change of scenery.....but everywhere I want to go requires licensure seeing as I'm in PA I'm not required here but I have my ABO.can any of you guys shed light on what would happen if I moved to a liscensed state am I going to have to attend years of college ....or what

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What state(s)? They all vary.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What Optical 24/7 said - check with the state board, I had thought about moving to Florida and checked with them - there are some concessions you can get towards previous experience, as long as you will pay $$$ and pass tests.

For instance I heard you have to be able to drink a bottle of lonestar while pinbeveling two lenses at once to be licensed in Texas.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post

For instance I heard you have to be able to drink a bottle of lonestar while pinbeveling two lenses at once to be licensed in Texas.
    We only have voluntary registration here, but to clarify you have to be able to drink a case of Lonestar while pinbeveling two lenses at once on a rock down on Woman Hollering Creek to register.

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I heard part of the exam in Texas is you have to eat Rocky Mountain Oysters while reciting ANSI standards backwards in Spanish
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtrain252 View Post
    So I'm getting close to the point where I feel like I may need a change of scenery.....but everywhere I want to go requires licensure
    Where are you moving?
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    Where are you moving?
    well I was thinking either south or North Carolina or Virginia to be honest those are kind of my major ones I'm thinking about

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    well I was thinking either south or North Carolina or Virginia to be honest those are kind of my major ones I'm thinking about
    Of the 3 VA, IMHO would be the easiest to obtain a license. All 3 will require you, if I’m not mistaken, to have an NCLE and serve an apprenticeship. Were ever you decide to go you will have a 2-3 year time frame on getting a license.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    Of the 3 VA, IMHO would be the easiest to obtain a license. All 3 will require you, if I’m not mistaken, to have an NCLE and serve an apprenticeship. Were ever you decide to go you will have a 2-3 year time frame on getting a license.
    But serving as an apprentice y still make money correct

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pennsylvania takes days to drive through (lol, at least it's felt like it all three times I've driven across country). Could you just move somewhere within the state?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    We only have voluntary registration here, but to clarify you have to be able to drink a case of Lonestar while pinbeveling two lenses at once on a rock down on Woman Hollering Creek to register.
    Once again, an example of dumbing down the requirements, last I heard you used to have to do all that while singing, The Yellow Rose Of Texas and two steppin to George Strait.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This thread illustrates perfectly the sorry state of affairs of the current model of state by state dispensing licensure, and why is isn't any consistent form of public guarantee of quality, skill or aptitude from one state to the next. Of the minority that still cling to it of course. It could be better - it really should be.

But it isn't.

Nothing short of the wild west - and no hint that it might be changing for the better.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    This thread illustrates perfectly the sorry state of affairs of the current model of state by state dispensing licensure, and why is isn't any consistent form of public guarantee of quality, skill or aptitude from one state to the next. Of the minority that still cling to it of course. It could be better - it really should be.

But it isn't.

Nothing short of the wild west - and no hint that it might be changing for the better.
    No ifurther I move I want to move out of state and I love Virginia and I love south Carolina so I was just curious what I would have to do in order to work in those states seeing as I've been doing it here for 6 years

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post

But it isn't.

How true and with the changing environment our industry needs to adapt. In WA. part of our state board requires identifying various eye diseases but with the questions we get asked it now it needs to include identifying the top ten strains of marijuana and their effectiveness with ocular pathologies on the general public. I can't wait for Barry's dissertation on this subject for an upcoming 20/20 article.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    If you move to Florida and know how to at least edge and put together drill mounts and trouble shoot non-adapts I would pay you licensed optician rate with or without licensing.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    If you move to Florida and know how to at least edge and put together drill mounts and trouble shoot non-adapts I would pay you licensed optician rate with or without licensing.
    I ran a santinelli le 9000 for 3 years and now the essiLord Mr blue I think whichever one doesn't have the drilling feature. I can pull apart and reassemble a drill mount and I am pretty good and figuring out why a patient can't see. I handle all the frame returns I submit the vision insurances and I do the inventory

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    But serving as an apprentice y still make money correct
    Yes , not as much as a licensed Optician but you still get paid.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No ifurther I move I want to move out of state and I love Virginia and I love south Carolina so I was just curious what I would have to do in order to work in those states seeing as I've been doing it here for 6 years
    Both have different requirements, and to be sure you will be better served by reaching out to each respective state board. SC requires either an AAS in Opticianry, or a 2-year apprenticeship, passing the ABO, and a practical exam. You may be able to apply to their board, and if you can prove your experience sit for the practical, but if memory serves, it is rare. Check with the Virginia board for their information. Good luck with your journey.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    Might have to take you up on that soon. Better then Piggly wiggly bag boy.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why not register for a distance ed program at an NFOS school while you're deciding on your next move? www.nfos.org

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Judy, as an FYI.....I started in Maryland....I've worked in Florida and now North Carolina...I don't have a license (yeah, I do have ABO/NCLE)....and I STILL make more than most of the licenses I know.....

HOWEVER, if I were 20 years younger...I'd get a damn license....

EyeManFla
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    EyeManFla, you're probably the exception to the rule. The reality is that I have accounts whose practices don't require a license to function as an optician, yet they prefer the license.

Thread Information