Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legislation Eliminates Ohio Optical Dispensers Board. Ready to join North Carolina??

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Legislation Eliminates Ohio Optical Dispensers Board. Ready to join North Carolina??

Write Your Senator Today!
    Your Immediate Action Requested on HB 64
    Legislation Eliminates Ohio Optical Dispensers Board

HB 64, the state budget bill, has included wording to eliminate the Ohio Optical Dispensers Board and place opticians under the Ohio State Board of Optometry. Similar to HB 466, which died when the last General Assembly completed its work at the end of 2014, this legislation calls for the dissolution of the OODB and the provision of two seats for opticians on the new board out of a total of nine.

The Opticians Association of Ohio opposes this language and urges you to write your senator TODAY. Please use the sample letter provided and talking points as guides when writing not only your senator but also members of the Senate Finance Committee and Senate Leadership if you feel so inclined.

If you are unsure of your Senator’s name, please visit the Senate website and locate your Senator from the locator map on the home page. Once you know your Senator’s name, please add his/her name to the sample letter and e-mail the letter to his/her attention. All Senate e-mails use the following format:

lastname@ohiosenate.gov

The OAO also strongly urges you to e-mail members of the Senate Finance Committee,
    http://www.ohiosenate.gov/committee/finance, and Senate leadership not on the Senate Finance Committee:
    Senate Majority Leadership
    Senate President Keith Faber
    Senator Chris Widener
    Senator Larry Obhof

Senate Minority Leadership
    Senator Minority Leader Joe Schiavoni
    Senator Edna Brown

Your immediate attention is requested on this critical piece of legislation. HB 64WILL BE APPOVED and signed by the Governor by July 1, 2015 with implementation commencing October 1, 2015.

Tell your Senator to restore the Ohio Optical Dispensers Board as the regulatory body to license Ohio opticians!

The mission of the Opticians Association of Ohio is to enhance the quality and growth of opticianry through education, governmental affairs and professional advancement for the visual well-being of the public.

This is a message from:
    Opticians Association of Ohio
    309 Olenview Circle West
    Powell, OH USA 43065
    Last edited by John Bruening; 06-10-2015 at 12:38 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    John,
    I wonder how the Optometry Board feels about this? They did not want us in NC. They have actually been semi-supportive. Let me know if there is anything I can do. It is really unfortunate we have not expanded our role over the years, like others, and we would likely be in a better position.

Warren

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    While I agree that the more voices that are heard the better I suspect if your senator is a democrat you'll find them already opposed. When republican governor Bill Weld was in office in Massachusetts he tried and failed to eliminate licensing in Massachusetts. For all it's faults the democratically controlled legislature soundly defeated his attempt.

This is coming soon to all republican controlled or leaning states. The smell of Walmart and other chains is in the air.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    I wonder how the Optometry Board feels about this?
    When this came up last year as a standalone bill, the OD's were against it, but not for what you may think. The Bill last year would give Opticians 3 spots on the OD board. This has happened so recently there has, as of yet, been no response from the OD’s that I’m aware of.
    Paul:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wish you the best in this fight, and if I can do anything please let me know.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wonder if this makes opticians that are employed by the doctor register?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wish you the best in this fight, and if I can do anything please let me know.
    Thanks Warren. At this point, I'm wondering if it is even a fight. The Ohio opticians that I have spoken with are so confused, and have not taken the time, nor the initiative to read/process the information available, that I can't imagine that they are taking the necessary steps to make their voices heard. I'm not sure they even have a voice. One facebook poster ranted that this proves we need to unionize. (?) What kind of union would that be, the International Brotherhood of Optometrists Wives?

Ziggy is correct; the OD Board has been wanting this for some time, and somehow, they've managed to push it through to this point. Ohio ODs, as a group, probably do not want, or even care about this, but their board is an entirely different matter.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Service Temporarily Unavailable ................

Quote Originally Posted by John Bruening View Post

The OAO also strongly urges you to e-mail members of the Senate Finance Committee,
    http://www.ohiosenate.gov/committee/finance, and Senate leadership not on the Senate Finance Committee:

Your immediate attention is requested on this critical piece of legislation. HB 64WILL BE APPOVED and signed by the Governor by July 1, 2015 with implementation commencing October 1, 2015.

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

interesting coincidence

Occupation
    John,
    I wonder how the Optometry Board feels about this? They did not want us in NC. They have actually been semi-supportive. Let me know if there is anything I can do. It is really unfortunate we have not expanded our role over the years, like others, and we would likely be in a better position.

Warren
    I am sitting out on my deck enjoying a nice cold glass of ice tea far removed from the fray. I have been listening to the decisions, indecision, plans, lack of plans and the grouches and brainstorm of the optician for nearly fifty years now. Same script, different cast. So, from my perspective, it's getting old. I fully understand that everyone who is involved in these issues does indeed have a dog in the fight which does seem to me to preclude rational thinking.

So let me interject, as a long retired and senile old codger, my two cents worth into this discussion.

Opticianry, whatever the heck that is, today, finds itself a fatherless child; in some states a fatherless child, no licensing, no education, no nothing. That being the case I see no reason that the public would not be best served by finally, at long last, adopting the optician as an ancillary position, regulated and controlled by the individual State Boards of Optometry. Existing independent opticians, if there are any, may continue to practice until they pass on to their eternal reward.

Now I ain't that much thrilled with Optometry but someone should step in and stop this constant bickering.

I am going to take my meds now. I have plenty of iced tea and lots of meds and you are welcome to join me.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you Mr. Baker for your interjection. From what I gather from your post, you've got yours, who cares what happens to opticianry.

Looking forward to some meaningful responses from anyone who actually cares.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeoptical View Post
    I wonder if this makes opticians that are employed by the doctor register?
    not likly if those people don't care enough to register as an apprentice or get their license this will not cause them to act

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Why would the three guys at the Optometry board be happy about this? Higher budget?

Help me understand this a little, John and others. I sense the immediate reaction that it's dangerous for the independence of the profession, on the surface. But how does it present a danger, specifically? Is it because there could be, say, 4 ODs and 3 Opticians and the opticians would get the short end of the stick?

This is some budget-saving endeavor, obviously.

Maybe the optician's board could be subsumed by another board that's free from historically antagonistic professionals. Maybe you could be under the medical board, if they're so adamant on cutting the budget by 100K/yr.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Why would the three guys at the Optometry board be happy about this? Higher budget?

Help me understand this a little, John and others. I sense the immediate reaction that it's dangerous for the independence of the profession, on the surface. But how does it present a danger, specifically? Is it because there could be, say, 4 ODs and 3 Opticians and the opticians would get the short end of the stick?

Maybe the optician's board could be subsumed by another board that's free from historically antagonistic professionals. Maybe you could be under the medical board, if they're so adamant on cutting the budget by 100K/yr.
    DRK, the specific danger of this is the fact that it calls for the" dissolution of the Ohio Optical Dispensers Board". How much more danger do we need? Without a board, we cease to exist. The fact that we end up with 2 seats on the Optometry Board is irrelevant.

You are being sarcastic when you cite this as a "budge-saving endeavor", aren't you?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Its funny how they talk out of both sides of their mouth, on one end they're trying to be libertarian and save the taxpayers money while in the same breathe they're creating a monopoly by forcing opticianary to become a minority part of the optometry board.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper attention is requested on this critical piece of legislation ...............

Quote Originally Posted by John Bruening View Post

Actually there are 18 days left before signing into law. How will you get enough active support to change the mind of the law makers in such a short time period ?

Have we not seen the light when the whole Province of British Columbia got deregulated next door in Canada ?

This is going to continue as the new trend.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    I am going to take my meds now. I have plenty of iced tea and lots of meds and you are welcome to join me.
    Good move Uncle Si.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    The issue of optometrists and opticians collaborating equally will never transpire. The mentality of each group is so one-sided, self serving and selfish, that joining forces and prospering together in unity has as much likelihood as the Catholic church amalgamating with the Muslims.

It will never happen since there are no new grass roots on the horizon and the same issues of cohabitation dates back almost 100 years. We live in a very fragmented industry and nobody to blame but ourselves.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    DRK,
    Of course that’s what the good folks at the state house will say, but it’s not the truth. The OODB is one of a very few state agencies that take in more than they spend. This is, IMHO, a move by a couple of Reps who are intent on dismantling and deregulating Opticianry. These folks, under the guidance of NAOO have attacked Opticians at every turn for the last 2+years. By placing the Opticians under the Optometry board and not giving us equal representation, the power behind this piece of legislation is assured that Opticians will never be able to expand their scope of practice. If this passes the Opticians in this state will be regulated to the role of order taker. This is where the danger exist.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm on your side, but I still don't understand.

Are you saying that the NAOO or whatever has pushed to have this bill? Is it not some omnibus budget thing?

I looked: the bill is the next year's budget.

Question: are other boards being eliminated or consolidated?

To fight this, understanding what's going on is necessary.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm on your side, but I still don't understand.

Are you saying that the NAOO or whatever has pushed to have this bill? Is it not some omnibus budget thing?

I looked: the bill is the next year's budget.

Question: are other boards being eliminated or consolidated?

To fight this, understanding what's going on is necessary.
    Yes I am saying that NAOO is pushing this amendment. To the best of my knowledge, there is a section that combines the cosmetology and barber’s board as well. Once again, the OODB does NOT cost the State of Ohio ANY money. The OODB makes money for the state there for there is no logical reason to dissolve the OODB. Budget bills have been notorious for having pet projects placed in them because most people do not look closely at the line items with in the bill, for example the “bridge to nowhere”.

Occupation
    Do a data sort by city, call your state society and have everyone take a city or 2 and start hitting the phones. Linked in and facebook searches should turn up most contact info and assume that each person reached will be able to give you a few local contacts so ask.

Here are all the folks that will be effected.:

ABO Certificants Ohio.zip
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Occupation
    With the above list I can get you in touch with a company that will provide, email, phone, and or addresses for the majority of the list. Their fee is $500 to $900 for 4000 records depending on the data supplied. Turntime is 2-3 business days.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Well, here's the argument against.

1. Opticianry is a independent profession.
    2. Each profession should have their own regulating board.
    3. Combining regulating boards runs the risk of the new board not having the expertise to do their job. To wit: would the Nursing Board have the expertise needed to regulate opticianry? Clearly not. Would the Medical Board? Clearly not. Opticianry is a separate profession with a separate body of knowledge.
    4. While the Optometry Board may well have enough expertise overlap with the Opticianry Board to do the job, it is unfair to penalize opticianry by subsuming it's regulation under the Optometry Board. Due to the fact that there is, indeed, substantial expertise overlap between the two fields, in the marketplace there is competition between the two fields. To make one a subset of the other in state regulation has the real danger of giving opticanry a competitive marketplace disadvantage.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    E-mails sent to my state Senator.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    www.muster.com is the organization that VA Opticians used to have our profession added to the VCP/Lab Choice bill that passed in April. I strongly urge OAO to check it out.

Thread Information