Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Legislation Eliminates Ohio Optical Dispensers Board. Ready to join North Carolina??

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just received an e-mail from my State Senator who is on the Finance committee that he supports keeping the Ohio Optical Dispensers Board and that the omnibus bill reinstates the OODB. Evidently all the e-mails did some good.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post
    Just received an e-mail from my State Senator who is on the Finance committee that he supports keeping the Ohio Optical Dispensers Board and that the omnibus bill reinstates the OODB. Evidently all the e-mails did some good.
    Yes! The letters, calls, and other contacts DID do some good...

Testimony, Letters Make Impact
    OAO Victorious in Senate!
    Senate Restores Ohio Optical Dispensers Board in HB 64

Good news!

The omnibus amendment for the Senate's version of HB 64, the state budget bill, was released today and contained within the amendment was language reinstating the Ohio Optical Dispensers Board.

“Our testimony last week before the Senate Finance Committee combined with a letter-writing campaign by opticians throughout the state made the difference,” said Mark Glasper, OAO Executive Director. “I can’t thank those opticians enough who took the time to either write or call their Senators.”

The Senate, however, does recommend a Sunset Review Committee take up the subject of Board consolidation and make its recommendations by June 2016. Therefore, the same arguments to keep the OODB will be required when the new committee convenes.

Similar to HB 466, which died when the last General Assembly completed its work at the end of 2014, HB 64 had called for the dissolution of the OODB and the placement of opticians under the Ohio State Board of Optometry.

“No other state in the country has delegated licensure of opticians to its State Board of Optometry,” Glasper said. “We didn’t let it happen then and we weren’t going to let it happen now.”

OAO will maintain vigilance over the new Sunset Review Committee and will apprise members and friends of when letter writing in support of the OODB will be needed again.

The mission of the Opticians Association of Ohio is to enhance the quality and growth of opticianry through education, governmental affairs and professional advancement for the visual well-being of the public.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Amen! I also wrote my senator, and although received no reply (didn't expect one) I have heard that the outpouring of support/attention, made everyone take notice. I also heard that there was a lot of out of state supporters who contacted Ohio legislators. How awesome is that?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Good news.

Stay vigilant.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Amen! I also wrote my senator, and although received no reply (didn't expect one) I have heard that the outpouring of support/attention, made everyone take notice. I also heard that there was a lot of out of state supporters who contacted Ohio legislators. How awesome is that?
    It is great news!
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Good news.

Stay vigilant.
    Good morning DrK, do you have any insight on where the states OD's stood on the effort to combine the two boards?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is a lot of support. Remember er to thank OAA. They se nt to bat for you as did many individuals. I am told from a number of sources that The ODs did not support combining.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Tennessee a few years back had a very similar outpouring of letters, at the time people thought that letters from outside of state wouldn't make a difference, however in many cases they make a larger difference. A local matter that all of a sudden is viewed from a national perspective is a lot harder to ignore.

Between now and 2016, the letters should continue to pour in and every effort helps in and out of state.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    There is a lot of support.
    Yes there is, and from many places. On behalf of all Ohio Opticians thank you to all who supported our efforts. This situation should be held up as an example for every state society and the OAA of why people should join and support their state and national societies. PLEASE JOIN your state organizations.

Thread Information