Thread: Latest Corning Photogray Thin & Dark - Indoor Tint, Real-world Use

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Latest Corning Photogray Thin & Dark - Indoor Tint, Real-world Use

Leaning towards giving Photogray's a try after seeing way too many Transitions lenses give out after 18/24 months. I've heard they last longer, like SunSensors, which makes sense because Corning designed both.

One question that I have - SunSensors have about a 15% tint indoors (like Transitions XTRActives), but what about Photogray Thin & Dark? Looking at the ISO data, it sounds like it has a 9% tint - but in real-world use, is it noticeable? Transitions technically have about a 5% tint and most don't notice that.

I'm guessing it's somewhere in-between but I can't find anyone around me that has a sample of Thin & Dark's. Would be nice to hear if they're viable alternative to Transitions, particularly in the zero-tint area.

Honestly I can't find many real-world users today, and I'm kinda wondering why (Transitions monopoly power aside). I mean, it has better optics and doesn't seem to cost more than Transitions.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    What part of the optical business are you in?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by CP View Post
    Leaning towards giving Photogray's a try after seeing way too many Transitions lenses give out after 18/24 months. I've heard they last longer, like SunSensors, which makes sense because Corning designed both.

One question that I have - SunSensors have about a 15% tint indoors (like Transitions XTRActives), but what about Photogray Thin & Dark? Looking at the ISO data, it sounds like it has a 9% tint - but in real-world use, is it noticeable? Transitions technically have about a 5% tint and most don't notice that.

I'm guessing it's somewhere in-between but I can't find anyone around me that has a sample of Thin & Dark's. Would be nice to hear if they're viable alternative to Transitions, particularly in the zero-tint area.

Honestly I can't find many real-world users today, and I'm kinda wondering why (Transitions monopoly power aside). I mean, it has better optics and doesn't seem to cost more than Transitions.
    I have done what i consider real world testing since November on my deck, southern exposure in Ohio using Transition, Sunsensor and a product we sell called Conversion. As of now in a unexposed state all have about a 5% to 10% residual tint. The Transition is light yellow and the others light grey. In bright sunlight for 5 minutes at +/- 75 F the Transition has about 40% density, the Sunsensor about 50% and our Conversion about 60%. We will be doing time lapse video in the near future showing darkening and fading and would be happy to share it upon request.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    What part of the optical business are you in?
    +1
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Thread Information