Thread: State Associations ON LINE

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up State Associations ON LINE

How many of the State Opticians Associations are on line?
    Who is delivering CE through this vehicle?
    What services are on line? Links? Newsletters? Convention info?
    If you are on line what would make your site better?

The Opticians of Pennsylvania will go on line in 2003! Look for us! :D

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Connecticut Opticians Association is online.
    http://www.ctopticians.com/

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bev,
    Here's a link to the state societies on line sites courtesy of the OAA:

http://www.oaa.org/navbar/7links/3st...etes/index.htm
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cindy Hamlin said:
    Bev,
    Here's a link to the state societies on line sites courtesy of the OAA:

http://www.oaa.org/navbar/7links/3st...etes/index.htm
    I wonder who the Connecticut email links goes to; that isn't the Connecticut Opticians Association email address? It could be SOCO which is why there is no link to a website.
    Cindy Hamlin said:
    Who is delivering CE through this vehicle?
    The COA (CT's state society) website has links to CEC's online for apprentice opticians; however, License CEC's must be face to face. The dates for any Super Sunday or other face to face continuing education opportunities is always posted.
    Bev Heishman said:
    What services are on line? Links? Newsletters? Convention info?
    The ability to download any forms you would need to do anything is handy. There is also a classified section and a chat room available to members. The links to state regulations and other optical information allow for some quick research abilities as well.
    Bev Heishman said:
    If you are on line what would make your site better?
    As someone who visits the web site, I would hope that the next step would be the ability to register for apprenticeship and licensure exams online.

(A note to any CT OptiBoarders: Dan Farren, the CT Optician who designed and maintains the COA website was just called overseas on active duty. We wish him a safe return and also send our best wishes to his family including his brand new child.)

OptiBoard Novice OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Connecticut Opticians Association (COA) was founded in 1935 and we believe it to be one of the oldest professional optical associations in existence; Connecticut was the first state to license opticians.

Jo said:
    I wonder who the Connecticut email links goes to; that isn't the Connecticut Opticians Association email address? It could be SOCO which is why there is no link to a website.
    The COA (CT's state society) website has links to CEC's online for apprentice opticians; however, License CEC's must be face to face. The dates for any Super Sunday or other face to face continuing education opportunities is always posted.

A little over a year ago, a splinter group was formed by a small group of disgruntled business owners. That group was officially recognized by the OAA over the protests of the Connecticut Opticians Association.

The email address listed by the OAA is a personal/business email for one of the founders of that splinter group who is also a member of the OAA Board of Directors.

The COA remains a strong and viable association. Our membership, representing over 60% of CT opticians, has remained at an all time high. We are the only optician's association that employs a lobbyist and diligently monitors activities at the State capitol, a task made more necessary during our present state budget deficit. The governor has laid off 3,000 state employees and is eliminating state agencies and other administrative employees (...like our licensing board).

This is also our year for Sunset Legislation. Our licensing board is on the list of the first agencies to be evaluated.

It's true that mandatory CECs for licensed opticians must be didactic in a face-to-face setting. Because we represent all optical personnel in CT, our website does provide links for apprentices to supplement their training.

(A note to any CT OptiBoarders: Dan Farren, the CT Optician who designed and maintains the COA website was just called overseas on active duty. We wish him a safe return and also send our best wishes to his family including his brand new child.)
    While Dan is away, he continues to monitor and maintain our website which receives approximately 35,000 hits per month, many international. He's done a great job and his dedication and loyalty are outstanding. Thanks Dan!

Please visit our website and our many links to other professional sites.

Happy New Year to all.

Best regards,

Rene "Skip" Rivard, FOAA(H)
    Executive Director
    Connecticut Opticians Association
    945-B Cromwell Ave - Suite 191
    Rocky Hill, CT 06067
    Voicemail: 860.416.5128
    Fax: 860.258.0669
    www.CTOpticians.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ...Opps!

I attempted to quote Jo in my recent reply. It read as though my entire response was her quote....Sorry for the confusion.

Her quote was. . .

The rest of the response was mine and should read as follows ...I hope!

The Connecticut Opticians Association (COA) was founded in 1935 and we believe it to be one of the oldest professional optical associations in existence; Connecticut was the first state to license opticians.

A little over a year ago, a splinter group was formed by a small group of disgruntled business owners. That group was officially recognized by the OAA over the protests of the Connecticut Opticians Association.

The email address listed by the OAA is a personal/business email for one of the founders of that splinter group who is also a member of the OAA Board of Directors.

The COA remains a strong and viable association. Our membership, representing over 60% of CT opticians, has remained at an all time high. We are the only optician's association that employs a lobbyist and diligently monitors activities at the State capitol, a task made more necessary during our present state budget deficit. The governor has laid off 3,000 state employees and is eliminating state agencies and other administrative employees (...like our licensing board).

This is also our year for Sunset Legislation. Our licensing board is on the list of the first agencies to be evaluated.

It's true that mandatory CECs for licensed opticians must be didactic in a face-to-face setting. Because we represent all optical personnel in CT, our website does provide links for apprentices to supplement their training.

I tried to quote from Jo again . . .

A note to any CT OptiBoarders: Dan Farren, the CT Optician who designed and maintains the COA website was just called overseas on active duty. We wish him a safe return and also send our best wishes to his family including his brand new child.

While Dan is away, he continues to monitor and maintain our website which receives approximately 35,000 hits per month, many international. He's done a great job and his dedication and loyalty are outstanding. Thanks Dan!

Please visit our website and our many links to other professional sites. It's a great refernce site.

Happy New Year to all.

Best regards,

Rene "Skip" Rivard, FOAA(H)
    Executive Director
    Rocky Hill, CT 06067
    www.CTOpticians.com

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Skip, it's been a while since I've seen you guys, but I had a simple question; here I am in the Republic of Tejas; started optical in '65, did optical in the Navy, as well as being a corpsman in 'nam; worked as ABOC dispensing Optician here for several years before starting my own bidness in '77, so this is yr 26. now i was considering a move to some nice quiet optical market(where you only have 90 competitors), where they rarely have tornadoes, or massive hail storms like the one that ruined my Jeep. So, to work in Ct., what do I need to do, to get licensed, or maybe work for you? I'm 56 so I can't work very hard, but I need a sizeable income; but then, I am the best in the west! your pal. TR

p.s. i'm serious about this! I need to know..

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    TR

It’s always good to know that someone wants to move to New England where we rarely have tornados and only an occasional hurricane (or two...)

CT was the first state to license opticians in 1935, which includes ophthalmic dispensing as well as contact lenses. The exam is given twice a year in November and June. Reciprocity is available for states which have licensing requirements equal to or greater than those in CT.

To apply for licensing you must have at least 4 years of apprenticeship (8,000 hrs) under a licensed optician, or have graduated from an accredited college of opticianry. For opticians requesting to sit for the exam from unlicensed states, each request is taken under consideration by the Board of Examiners for Opticians. They base their decision on years of experience, training, etc…

To be eligible to sit for the licensing exam, you must be both ABO and NCLE certified. The exam consists of a practical exam in dispensing: frame selection, measurements, adjusting, use of tools and lens (FT and PAL) layout for edging. There is also a problem solving section of the exam.

The exam also requires a successful demonstration of CL fitting skills: practical knowledge and use of the slit lamp- including various illuminations, design of a rigid CL based on measurements taken on a proctor, insertion and removal of both a rigid lens and a soft lens, neutralization of rigid spherical and toric CL, and problem solving of CL anomalies.

Finally, there is a written exam to test an applicant’s knowledge of CT statutes for opticians.

Phew!

Check out our web-site for statutes and CEC requirements.

Let me know if I can help you any other way with your decision. Don't hesitate to contact me directly.

By the way, I did my CL and Ophthalmic Tech training in Texas!

Best regards,

Rene "Skip" Rivard
    Executive Director
    Rocky Hill, CT 06067
    www.CTOpticians.com

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Visit the Opticians Association of Virginia on line at www.vaopticians.org

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Washington State Opticians Assn Website.

I still miss all the great Opticians and Doctors I worked with up in WA State during 13 years from '89-'02! Take care all! http://www.oaw.org/
    Dale

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Opticians Assn of Massachusetts

The Opticians Assn of Massachusetts can be found here.

http://www.opticiansma.org/index.htm
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Thread Information