Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting news from ABO/NCLE

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Robert,
    Lets keep the dialogue going to make sure all are in the loop with this issue. It appears you have now been tasked with leading the public relations effort, and I know you will keep the best for Opticians in mind. If that is done, I will be fine. But also know that I also have psychometric training, and so does Dr. Ferguson (are you denigrating his credentials by calling him Mr?) and others. I am fully aware of how these kinds of tests are developed, and am not easily fooled. I reviewed the exam early on, and found the graphics to be good, but the material it covered at that time limited. Now all we hear is negative things about it from those who have taken it. The numbers in the report are also very telling, and you folks are not forthcoming regarding pass rates. We on the outside cannot judge if we cannot see the data. I am available and provided you a phone number of you wish to talk to me.

One last thing......since this NCSORB is supposed to be a national organization, and it has been historically, why are there so few states that belong? Budgets? Disagreements? What is up with that? I only see 5-6 states there now.

Warren

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Warren,

No disrespect intended to Dr. Ferguson and thanks for pointing that out to me. Yes, let's keep the dialog open and I do understand the frustration form the optical community because of the lack of data or information. A large part of the secrecy is that much of the information is confidential to individual states and therefore we can not release that information publicly.

The combined pass rates for the exam, not state specific is in the 64% range but I will get you a firm number. As far as the rates for individual states I can only say that pass rates are substantially similar to or above their previous pass rates for a hands on.

Regarding the number of adopting states I can tell you that some states are in the process of adopting and it can be a tedious process. Virginia for example has been working for over four years to adopt a new practical but it is government and procedures and not the exam itself that takes time. Twenty to twenty-five percent of license states is a great start if you ask me given that before this exam their were none.

Thanks for the input and dialog. It is much appreciated!

Robert

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Excellent Robert. That is the kind of information we need. From a psychometric perspective, we want to see pass rates at around 66%, and you seem to be in that ball park. That is far better than I had assumed from all the fuss I was hearing. And again......I do not care who does the testing, so long as it is fair and equitable. Many Opticians feel I am down on them, and they would be correct! We need licensing in every state and a mandatory education if we are to ever really be relevant. And we must do more than measure PDs and take Seg Heights! We have to do better as a field, but the reality is we are not improving, but moving backwards each decade as we continually dumb down. But I will defend them vehemently. It is not the fault of the individual Optician, but the very poor leadership, and many self-serving individuals we have experienced over the years! I have a solid vision for what Opticians can be, and have described that over these many years. I have been unsuccessful to date, but continue in my efforts......to the chagrin of many.

I was not actually referring to the states who have adopted the exam, but the number of boards who now comprise the NCSORB. It appears to be small, and that is also a concern if we are to call it a national anything.

Again, I appreciate the dialogue.
    Warren

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    NCSORB is and always has been open to representation from all licensed state regulatory boards and I would invite those who have not participated in a while to join us this fall.

The NCSORB exam also by default has an education bar and those are the standards of education mandated by the respective states. While that may not be what you are ultimately looking for it is a standard of education before examination.

Thank you again for having an open mind as we strive for the same goals.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks, Robert. I appreciate the dialogue. Lets work to make it better for everyone.

Warren

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Warren.

The pass rate for all states combined through the end of last year is 64.8 percent passing. I wanted to share the official number for accuracy.

Robert

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Flippin Retail;508011]

What is the cut-score pass of this examination?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    is not the pass rate for the ABO(first time test takers) less than 50%?
    Paul:cheers:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A passing score of 70% is required.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No, Paul. It is about the same as this NCSORB practical, according to recent data.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For whatever it is worth I am still amazed by the whole exam/test creation process. It is truly a science with so much documentation and study required for each question and task along with acceptable pass rates, margins of error and so on. I have learned way more than I ever wanted to about the entire examination industry but am glad to have that experience. Add it to the list of things I would rather not do for a living.

By the way if any state association would like NCSORB to give an overview presentation of the exam along with a question and answer session please feel free to contact.

Thread Information