Thread: Hoya PALs versus Shamir

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Question Hoya PALs versus Shamir

I'm in my third week at a new practice and we're looking at streamlining our PAL options. They've been using a lot of Hoya product in recent years, but one of our strong possibilities is a lab specializing Shamir product. I'm coming in from a Varilux-focused practice, so these are lens manufacturers I know primarily by reputation. Can I get some input on these two manufacturers and their designs? We do a lot of EyeMed and VSP business, for context, and much of the client base is Gen-Xers in a very tech- and finance-focused community.

(Please keep the inevitable managed-care and Essilor bashing to a minimum, or better yet in another thread.)
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    For the clients you're talking about the InTouch is my go to. It's set up for tablets and smart phones. I've heard it's just the ad hitting sooner, but I'm not so sure. Form what I understand it's a one of a kind type lens. I'm a hugs shamir fan for what it's worth, but I try and be fair.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Every time I ask about Shamir lately, the first thing mentioned is invariably the InTouch.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It's that good, I've had 3 non-adapts ever and they where people the Doc forced to do a pal. I had a pair mocked up as plano and compared to some others and it was night and day.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This has been a varilux office forever and ever. But I just last month put our MD in a Shamier Autograph 3. I guess no negative feed back is good feed back. After all he owns the joint.
    I have two pts that I have put into the InTouch in the last month and have heard no feed back from them yet so I guess the same thing applies.
    One of our OD's I put into the InTouch this past February. She states that she enjoys it. Seems to be doing everything that she expects of it for her.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What lens tier in VSP is the Intouch?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    should be o

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We primarily use the intouch. It's available in almost every imaginable material and sun lens. It's pricey. We also use the Seiko Surmount for our hyperopes. Both are "O"s for vsp. However we also just started using Identity optical and their Lifescape lenses. I have had no complaints on any of these lenses.

It's been years since I've used Hoya. They were good when I was using them, but I would have non adapts here and there.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    the office i work in uses Hoya mostly, I have had a lot of varilux patients come in and if I put them into the Harmony PAL or Lifestyle lens I have had no issues with those patients adapting to the new lenses. Most patients have actually said that they consider it quite an upgrade from their old lenses.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have used both extensively. We use Hoya Array and Auto II interchangeably- they are a little different but so similar that I can switch the patient back and forth without them noticing. Both are VSP category O. Heads up though, these lenses seem to be preferred by myopes due to their distance weighting. For hyperopes, I would really look at the Hoya ID Lifestyle Harmony. I don't need a reader yet, but I wear both the Hoya Sync and Shamir Relax, both have slight add power to reduce fatigue at near. The Sync has much better peripheral clarity, but the Relax has slightly better central clarity and seems to do better at relieving accommodation strain.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The Hoya ID Lifestyle designs are rocking it in our office. I wish I could get them for my EyeMed patients...

Thread Information