Thread: Most comman mistakes

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Most comman mistakes

I was wondering if your lab is similar to ours. All the mistakes that can be made in the production of a lens. Stupid mistakes that can happen when you let your mind wander. What you folks do to help prevent these mistakes even if it means making extra work for yourselves. ie: one of the guys in our lab will put axis lines on single vision lenses all the time because he had a problem forgetting to do this with SV lenses with prism. I have to always triple check my laps(because I dont trust myself and maybe have a case of OCD) Maybe we're just a quirky lab.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lab mistakes

Lets see..for us it starts in the very beginning. Our calc program actually shows the Lens Description and SKU number. We not only staple the sku's on the sheet, we circle the last four digits at the double check and initial.

After blocking we check to make sure that the wax is solid through out (no air) and uniform in thickness (or as can be expected with PALs.)

We use an SGX on seg down mode, so if a multifocal is loaded into the generator and the seg isn't straight on bottom, it is a reminder to check axis. Same goes for PALs and the 0-180 line

Tray stays with generator till right eye begins to cut so the curves can be verified to match and right job is loaded.

Always double checking laps, right on right, left on left, any bumping of laps notated on calc sheet and any foam laps marked with R or L and gerber ID #. Basically any time lenses are in the tray they are to be right on right, left on left.

I have techs set up a .25cyl on the lensometer, and once they think they have it in place, rotate the dial a bit more to see if you can get the line to come in any clearer.

We write the circumfrence number down to indicate the frame was traced and verify it to the trace on monitor when edging.

Double and triple check measurements, anything really wacked gets a second set of eyes to look and measure

We have the "Left eye dance" for those left eye only jobs when laying out and edging. Left is written all over the lens, all over the job ticket, and we chant left eye as we set it up and clap at the beep when the edger indicates it switched over to left from right (Its insane...but works!!!:bbg: )

If anything is questionable..we always ask for a double check..Even me being the manager..I will still ask for a second opinion just in case I am missing something. Unfortunately I still make mistakes too:(

We basically just have everyone double check one another. I also offer a reward ($2) for every "potential" breakage you prevent by catching another associate's mistake. You have to prevent, not fix what the mistake would have been.

Our biggest not paying attention breakage areas are Laps being switched on surface...and bad lens shape on finish. We had lots of trouble with people cutting those left eye only jobs as rights, or calling up the wrong job number on the tracer or occasionally teh frames didn't get traced... so that is why we have people actually write down the cirfumfrence number cause they have to look and verify it was traced, that number can be used to verify the frame on the screen since so many frame shapes look a like..etc...

Honest mistakes wise...number one is prism on PALs, getting that pressure just right and holding it with wax is a pain..particularly on those lower base curves, and scratches.. I think the scratches are up cause people are reusing the disposable lens towels due to this "cost saving mandate" on lab supplies. We won't go into the conversation I had with someone in my home office in regards to this :angry: Trimming my central purchasing order w/o consulting me on what I really needed or don't. Lets just say that shipment better get here soon.

Cassandra

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I agree about most of what has been said. (I has been there too) .
    I will add that to lower mistakes people should be able to concentrate in what they are doing so no music, talking, etc is allowed. I tell them that should behave as in a library or a church.
    This includes myself.
    Keep your machinery in good shape.

Something i learned the hard way is that a lab is not managed with the heard but the brain (I am trying to translate from spanish). "Find the right person for the job and not the job for the person". Not all people are equal. Most of this mistakes are allowed to a beginner but not to a experienced person. Some persons do no change even if we try to help them. Select your employees and keep only those who have the necessary skill for the job. Fire or do not hire careless or distracted people. This take times so you should have started yesterday. Stop complaining and start acting to solve the problem. This is a advice that helped me. Be careful if you are not the owner of this lab, as a manager, you are responsible of others mistake. Your job could be in risk.

We all make mistake but learn from them and try not to make them again. A small percentage of redo because of human error is acceptable.
    You can not be all day thinking of how to catch this stupid mistakes. People has to be responsible for their acts so start charging certain amount of money for every stupid mistake.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's seems that ALL the labs I've ever dealt with ONLY pay attention to the parameters listed on an RX: Sphere, Cyl, Axis Add (and sometimes PD).

Base Curve, thickness, material index, lens color, AR type, equithin and others are rountinely ignored, or very little attention is paid to them.

FWIW

Barry

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I never make mistakes, but when I do make them, it would be forgetting something on the order. I am trying to remember what else. Maybe selecting a job as a rimless when you wanted a bevel. I do not remember what else. Been way too long

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I've made ALL possible mistakes...at least once. :o :shiner:

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    I've made ALL possible mistakes...at least once. :o :shiner:
    I keep thinking that too. But new mistakes still seem to find me.
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've been told that I was a mistake!

:cheers::cheers::shiner::cheers::cheers:;)

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I've been told that I was a mistake!
    I ain't gonna go there !!

Occupation
    Spelling seems to be a "common" mistake. I am referring to the original title of this thread. :)
    Help Optiboard $5.00 a month through Paypal

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiJim View Post
    Spelling seems to be a "common" mistake. I am referring to the original title of this thread. :)
    knowing Ken, I will bet you that it was intentional.

Banned
    Occupation
    Giving (or taking) a measurement for a bifocal when ordering a trifocal. Leaning on the pupilometer when taking a PD, resulting in monocular PD being constantly to the same side, providing only the refracted distance, sending in a complete order with the frame when the job has already been ordered as frame to come.......

Thread Information